myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board + Rig Stolen 8/22 - Huntington Beach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregorvass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is INSANE!
Glad you got you pole back.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbknap wrote:
Alex--I'd also like to hear what happened here: Did the guy admit taking your stuff? Cops charge him with a crime? They let you have your gear instead of holding it as evidence? Enquiring minds want to know.

Also I'd like to see a picture of this thieving jerk.

Note to all: When questionable characters at the beach ask how much your kit is worth, tell them it's not at all expensive. I always wave my hand vaguely and say, "You can buy all this stuff for a few hundred dollars, maybe even less." Then I refer them to the nearest windsurf shop for more information and lessons.

Hey Chris- An undercover LB cop went into the 2 guys apartment to "buy" the gear and then handcuffed them while gear was identified to be mine. They did admit to taking my stuff, and said that they saw it sitting there for "20 minutes" (BS) so they took it. An incriminating text was also found on their cell phone. The 2 guys got taken off to the police station and I'm not sure what happened to them. I'm glad I got my gear back and got these guys in trouble. Write down the serial numbers of your boards!
cbknap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Alex. Hope they prosecute the jerks.
dogalone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might be surprised, but many officers would say it is not a crime to pick up something you find laying in the street or on the curb. at least that was what the locals here told me about my bicycle, and on another occasion, a cell phone
PAmuddog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogalone wrote:
you might be surprised, but many officers would say it is not a crime to pick up something you find laying in the street or on the curb. at least that was what the locals here told me about my bicycle, and on another occasion, a cell phone

True, not always a crime depending what you do with it.

From what I recall many years ago when a friend found an abandoned bicycle on his front lawn, abandoned "stuff" must be turned it in to local police. If not claimed after a time (I'm not sure of the amount of time) the finder will awarded the "stuff". Then the finder is free to do what it wants with it as it will be considered owned by the finder.

Anyone please correct me if this is not correct as I'm not a lawyer and this incident happened many years ago.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever Heard of Honesty?????

If something is found, perhaps a NOTE would suffice!

Gee, look at that Lambo..........Hey look the guy dropped his keys and did not notice...........It's Mine NOW!!!!

WTF? Are you serious. Maybe I will sell that on eBay.
dogalone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got it gregorvass; now if your buddy gypsied the lambo owners keys and said lambo owner (due to the 10# of cocaine in the back seat) did not report stolen; after 60 days (abandoned property?) you just might have something there, gee; look at that....

of course, you might have some decidedly other associated problems, too; but hey, what the heck
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relevant California Penal Codes:

§ 485. Appropriation of lost property by finder

One who finds lost property under circumstances which give him knowledge of or means of inquiry as to the true owner, and who appropriates such property to his own use, or to the use of another person not entitled thereto, without first making reasonable and just efforts to find the owner and to restore the property to him, is guilty of theft.

§ 487. Grand theft

Grand theft is theft committed in any of the following cases:

(a) When the money, labor, or real or personal property taken is of a value exceeding four hundred dollars ($400)...

§ 496. Receiving or concealing stolen property; Duty of swap meet vendor or personal property dealer or collector to make reasonable inquiry; Action for damages; Attempts

(a) Every person who buys or receives any property that has been stolen or that has been obtained in any manner constituting theft or extortion, knowing the property to be so stolen or obtained, or who conceals, sells, withholds, or aids in concealing, selling, or withholding any property from the owner, knowing the property to be so stolen or obtained, shall be punished by imprisonment in a state prison, or in a county jail for not more than one year. However, if the district attorney or the grand jury determines that this action would be in the interests of justice, the district attorney or the grand jury, as the case may be, may, if the value of the property does not exceed nine hundred fifty dollars ($950), specify in the accusatory pleading that the offense shall be a misdemeanor, punishable only by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.
§ 182. Criminal conspiracy; Acts constituting; Punishment; Venue

(a) If two or more persons conspire:

(1) To commit any crime.

When they conspire to do any of the other acts described in this section, they shall be punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or in the state prison, or by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine. When they receive a felony conviction for conspiring to commit identity theft, as defined in Section 530.5, the court may impose a fine of up to twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000).
gregorvass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is nice to have ESQ. around!
dogalone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to see that; local sheriffs office here indicated SPECIFICALLY there was no reason for the person (in case of lost cell phone) to even make an attempt to find the owner! on top of that, they did not want to take the report [of a lost cell phone], neither at their office, nor at my address.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: