myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Yo, Sorry Dude (but hey look at me!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesschmitt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Yo, Sorry Dude (but hey look at me!) Reply with quote

see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tTXXB0e6U8

....kitelurkers flame away
jkayes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should read the text that goes with the video -- the kiter was filming the windsurfer for some windsurfing movie and so they were intentionally close. It seems that in the effort to get the perfect shot, they were too close. Nothing to see here.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Let's not try to fan the flames of the windsurfing vs. kiteboarding conflict.

The video's caption plainly states that the collision occurred while a kiter with a helmet cam was getting video footage of a participating windsurfer for a WINDSURFING video.

Quote:

"Shooting for the Wizards OF OZ Windsurf DVD project Ben Severne on chase camera (kite) Matty H riding (windsurfer) - something was always going to get funky with this set up!"

$hi+ happens when you try to get really tight shots for a windsurfing video.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
jamesschmitt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the text and was aware it was a vid shoot; it however illuustrates a point.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesschmitt wrote:
I read the text and was aware it was a vid shoot; it however illuustrates a point.

But ignoring their mutual collusion in the video, the point it illustrates would be:
They're both idiots.

• The kiter jumped directly into the projection of the WSer's straight path (look at the WSer's wake). Even if the WSer hadn't looped they probably would have collided.

• The WS jumped AFTER the oncoming kiter was airborne. Instead, the WSer should have swerved away from the airborne kite; he had plenty of time.

• Unless the crowd was much more dense than the video shows, both of them could have easily avoided this collision.

• That said, if one wants to get technical and claim that IYRA rules apply, the kiter was obliged to hold his straight reach on two counts: 1) he was on starboard and 2) he is more maneuverable. I'd guess he'd lose in a fair maritime court.

• Both of them were obviously shredding like drunken ants on speed; they should have given each other more room and watched each other more carefully.

• In some states, if one party is just 10% at fault, he can collect zero in court. There, ANY liability may as well be 50%, by law.

• Anybody who launches big air in a crowd, with little control or concern over whether he lands on someone else, deserves to be put in a prison hospital when he lands on one of them. Simply because kites can do it higher and longer and farther than WSers can, the former bear a larger portion of responsibility than the latter. i.e., WSers can't land on on someone else 100 feet away, but kiters can.

Besides, according to the IYRA rules, we should avoid collusion at all costs. Wink

Mike \m/
karlos11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
because kites can do it higher and longer and farther than WSers can

You seem to be a bit jealous Mr. Isobars....maybe it's time to pump it up! Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Looks to me like someone is trying to fan the flames of the windsurfing vs. kiteboarding conflict.

Sorta looks that way, given that it's in two forums here.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlos11 wrote:
You seem to be a bit jealous Mr. Isobars....maybe it's time to pump it up! Laughing

I'm 67, dude ... now remind me what I should do with it if I did?

Mike \m/
ericandholly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

When people get too close stuff can happen, be it on sailboards, kiteboards, snowboards, rafts, dates, skis, cars, night clubs, or the Tour de France.

Not rocket science..

Oh yeah, and rockets
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither, IMO, for reasons discussed above and probably a few I hadn't thought of. Besides, ROW is not that simple, on land or on water. On roads, for example, the laws don't grant ROW, because that can be construed by a good lawyer as giving one party the right to ram another. Instead, "ROW" laws are written more to assign fault to the guilty more than to exonerate the innocent. The laws might more accurately be described as "Lack of ROW" laws. What we most want to avoid is being even a liiiiiittle bit at fault in a state that says "If you're not 100% innocent, you're 50% guilty".

I'm sure Mr. Weiss, Esq., among others here, can explain that all more clearly.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: