myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Globe is HOT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe entirely in global warming. I first read about the possibility about 15 years ago. The model predicted the ice glaciers would melt more than in the recent past.
Check
They said there would be a measurable rise in sea level such that residents of low lying islands in the Pacific begin to notice and worry.
Check
The model says heat would move around more causing both colder and warmer weather around the globe.
I am not following temps but according to Bard this exactly what is happening, despite these recent temps being the hottest average on record worldwide.
I am still not sure but according to Bard everything predicted in that original model is coming true.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the weather does change. For example, in the early days of the pyramids, the sahara desert was a tropical forest. That started to change 3000 years ago into what is now the sahara.

The 6000 year old ice man found in a melting glacier in Italy was a perfectly preserved and wearing modest clothes considering he was crossing over a glacier at the time. The glacier is now approximately the same size as it was then......6000 years later. (having melted enough to release his body back into our time)

Gore included a couple of mini "ice ages" in his calculation that the earth is warming....Of course it is.

I'm still using my heater in the middle of August. Brrrrr.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems strange to me that most Americans opinion on this subject depends on politics. In the rest of the world it is just another science idea.
Most scientists seem to think that either the world is getter warmer or it is getting warmer and we are partly to blame.
Every scientist I have spoken to on the subject also agrees there is not enough data to be "sure" on such a large scale.
One guy made the point that our belief that the sun will always be there to rise in the morning also does not have enough data to be "sure" on such a large scale.
So why are political motivated Americans left and right so SURE of their respective positions?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one side of my family are a couple of extremly intelligent people who are liberal. They always seem to over complicate things. On the other side are some not so intelligent conservatives who always seem to simplify matters using common sense. They are always arguing political points.

As a metaphor we can use the current billion egg salmonela recall as an example. The liberals are calling for more usda egg inspectors. The conservatives are calling for more rat proof hen houses, and rat traps.

The truth is that it is easier to plant more traps than to hire thousands more $150k government leeches to cover the problem. The other truth is that loosing a billion eggs will teach those farmers a lesson.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
On one side of my family are a couple of extremly intelligent people who are liberal. They always seem to over complicate things. On the other side are some not so intelligent conservatives who always seem to simplify matters using common sense. They are always arguing political points.

As a metaphor we can use the current billion egg salmonela recall as an example. The liberals are calling for more usda egg inspectors. The conservatives are calling for more rat proof hen houses, and rat traps.

The truth is that it is easier to plant more traps than to hire thousands more $150k government leeches to cover the problem. The other truth is that loosing a billion eggs will teach those farmers a lesson.

Bard, Im a a liberal, who uses common sense. I dont trust giant farm companies at all! I buy eggs from local farms that I trust, if I die , its my falt. BTW , 20 years ago 2500 farms produced 95% of the eggs in USA, today 187 farms produce 95%. People need to prioritize their own health in this country, get lean, eat good food, and enjoy watersports!
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
The other truth is that loosing a billion eggs will teach those farmers a lesson.

That's for sure! Setting a billion eggs loose on all those farmers WOULD teach them a lesson!

mac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--you are so full of it your eyes are brown. One of those companies has previously been fined large amounts for bad safety practices. Come to think of it, BP had 800 safety violations, compared to about 11 for EXXON. A year from now, nobody will remember who raised eggs without regard to proper sanitation. That's why the public wants regulation. Read the Jungle sometime.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attached Message Larry The Cable Guy

More goofy shit for you guys

Everyone concentrates on the problems we're having in Our Country lately: Illegal immigration, hurricane recovery, alligators attacking people in Florida . .
Not me -- I concentrate on solutions for the problems -- it's a win-win situation.

* Dig a moat the length of the Mexican border.
* Send the dirt to New Orleans to raise the level of the levees.
* Put the Florida alligators in the moat along the Mexican border.

Any other problems you would like for me to solve today?

Think about this:

1. Cows
2. The Constitution
3. The Ten Commandments

COWS
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that during the mad cow epidemic our government could track a single cow, born in Canada almost three years ago, right to the stall where she slept in the state of Washington? And, they tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate 11 million illegal aliens wandering around our country. Maybe we should give each of them a cow.

THE CONSTITUTION
They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq ...why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it has worked for over 200 years, and we're not using it anymore.

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS
The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this -- you cannot post 'Thou Shalt Not Steal' 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery' and 'Thou Shall Not Lie' in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians, it creates a hostile work environment.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Bard.The Rio Grande is our ditch. Bring us the gators.

There are rules in place for rat proof chicken houses. They were violated by these companies and the inspections caught them at it but finally the inspection regimen became so weak that the disaster they are trying to stop came about. Would your conservative friends still suggest more unenforced laws?
How did that work in the financial sector?
I am OK on the company losing the eggs, but the sick people?
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Put the Florida alligators in the moat along the Mexican border."

Those Hispanics to the south of us can be pretty damn resourceful. I don't think the alligators would stand much of a chance.

I don't think it would take too long before some enterprising Hispanics would be making a small fortune manufacturing and selling alligator shoes, belts and purses to their neighbors in the US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: