myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
dogs at the Event Site--This is how I roll henceforth
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericandholly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: dogs at the Event Site--This is how I roll henceforth Reply with quote

I posted this on nwkite, but it sounds like dogs are running unleashed at both end of our Event Site.

<<I got 3 PM's in my box tonight, all of which say something like, "Way to go, Eric."
This is not a private matter--sack up. Of course it's the owners; not the dogs. Has that ever really been questioned?

The CGKA has fought long and hard for a safe, clean place to pump and dry kites, as well as launch and land kites. There were 20 to 30 kites on the lawn today and twice that on the spit and at least two dogs playing amongst them. We got 75 grand worth of fragile gear and dogs in a limited space. My kite was not even drying. I had just walked it over from the spit, turned it over and WHAM. This is the second time this has happened this summer.

Anyone wonder why many of us store our kitebags up off the ground now? Because the male dogs piss all over anything near the trees, signs, or spigots. They also piss on the kites. Orange 10m RPM--your kite got pissed on today.

I am not going to politely state the obvious to folks anymore. I am not going to go out of my way looking for unleashed dogs--I may even pet your unleashed dog. I am not going to lecture anyone at the beach. I am not going to go through the usual PC song and dance about how "I have dogs too, but don't bring them to the Event Site on a windy day..."

What I am going to do is call animal control if, AND ONLY IF an unleashed dog damages my gear in any way, and the owner does not offer to pay for the repairs, or cannot be found. I am going to be polite, businesslike, and non-violent. Fact is, money talks, and it's expensive to bail your best friend out of dog jail.

Hood River Animal Control: 541-386-2098 ext 1>>
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem is that the Hood River "town fathers' has reportedly told the Event Site camp host not to enforce the rules. Just be there, show your face, and don't offend anyone. We pay a price for that attitude. If someone gets mauled and that report can be verified, the City of HR could be in court.

Mike
hilton08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

If a loose dog tramples your kite, the owner is responsible for the damage.
If the owner can't be found or won't do the right thing, the dog should be impounded.

The Port has done a great job of cleaning up the goose poop at the Event Site, but I just missed stepping in a big pile of dog poop when launching there yesterday. That was mildly annoying. If a loose dog had put a hole in my kite or sail, I would be pissed.

The rules are there for a reason. If you bring your dog to the Event Site on a crowded summer day, keep him on a leash. If you want to let him run free, there are plenty of other place that are better and less crowded.
robguidera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: More annoying: plastic garbarge, wrappers,cups etc Reply with quote

The garbage situation caused by humans is way more offensive then the dogs..since when is the world only for humans!
stevemadere

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: accidental duplicate Reply with quote

I could find no way to delete a post once you have discovered that 'preview'
actually posts so I just had to edit this one away to get rid of it.

Last edited by stevemadere on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
stevemadere

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: More annoying: plastic garbarge, wrappers,cups etc Reply with quote

robguidera wrote:
The garbage situation caused by humans is way more offensive then the dogs..since when is the world only for humans!

It is called 'The Event Site', not 'The Dog Park'.
It has specific posted rules about dogs being on leash and about
their droppings being collected by the owner.

How can you possibly argue about this?

Just follow the rules which are amenable to the *vast majority* of
participants at "The Event Site" which is a designate windsurfing
recreation site, not a dog park.

How would you like to be riding a bike on your favorite trail, turn a
blind corner at high speed and run into rigged sail laying in the
path? Seems crazy, doesn't it? So does a loose dog at a sailing site
that specifically forbids loose dogs.
tatorific

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw animal control at the Event Site yesterday....then at the City Water Front Park. All I could say was about time. .

Tator
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the SF east bay's best spots IS a dog park.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
One of the SF east bay's best spots IS a dog park.

Don't take it personally. Even good dogs go bad from time to time!
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This dog was loving his dog park today!!! Way powered up on diamond encrusted mercury if you know what I mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: