myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board and rig for a 270lb newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpon2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Board and rig for a 270lb newbie Reply with quote

I need a recommendation for what board a guy of my size (5'10" and 270lb) should get to learn on with the minimum of frustration. Thank you in advance.
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

210 liter Starboard Rio Large

sail size depends on where your going to learn / windsurf.
thombiz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would be for a Kona One or a Fanatic Viper 80. Both have soft skins (Eva Foam Deck) which can take most of the bumps and scrapes a newby dishes out plus they should have a fun playful quality as you progress into your first short board. The soft skin will also be a lot easier on you knees, elbows, and tummy as you climb on after each fall that every beginner experiences. The centerboards will give them a little extra stability and help you get "home" when the winds lighten up.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most important suggestion: take lessons from a qualified instructor. Do the lessons first. Buy a board and rig after you already know how to windsurf.

My suggestion for a board: Starboard Start. This is the link to Starboard: http://www.star-board.com/AutumnWinter2011/products/board_start.php

Whether you buy a Starboard product or not you a board like the Start will be the least frustrating as you learn. You could help shorten your learning curve by reading and using Starboard's "Start Windsurfing Forum" http://www.star-board.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

The size of the rig you buy depends on the strength of the winds where you will be learning. With your weight you'll need, and you'll be able to handle, a sail larger than most beginners. For 5 mph to 12 mph you might be in the 6.0 to 7.5 range. Depend on your instructor to help you decide.

How good is your balance? Do you already know how to sail a small sailboat? How strong is the wind where you will usually windsurf? Is the water there usually flat or will you be dealing with waves larger than 1ft?

Do you have access to a place which sells windsurfers and provides lessons?
jpon2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
My most important suggestion: take lessons from a qualified instructor. Do the lessons first. Buy a board and rig after you already know how to windsurf.

The size of the rig you buy depends on the strength of the winds where you will be learning. With your weight you'll need, and you'll be able to handle, a sail larger than most beginners. For 5 mph to 12 mph you might be in the 6.0 to 7.5 range. Depend on your instructor to help you decide.

How good is your balance? Do you already know how to sail a small sailboat? How strong is the wind where you will usually windsurf? Is the water there usually flat or will you be dealing with waves larger than 1ft?

Do you have access to a place which sells windsurfers and provides lessons?

I took only one 2 hour lesson so far and after several dives I managed to actually sail a little bit on my own. Balance is not good yet since I am new at this and my sea legs need more practice. I have been sailing keelboats and dinghy's for many years (on and off) but other than some sailing theory, this is a totally new ball (busting) game to me. The teacher was patient, demanding and encouraging and told me I was doing well. The board I was using was Mistral Prodigy which from what I researched was designed for racing and it is 255 liters but I forgot what size sail was on it. I'll check next time and take a note of the wind speed. The instructor gave me some general ideas such as getting a wide, thick board and mentioned BIC Nova, but like you said I am going to keep taking classes and learning about different gear. I love the video of the Starboard you recommended and found out that it was the widest I have found through my research. This is good because I want my learning to be stress-less and enjoyable. Thank you for your response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: