myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing spot to live?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing spot to live? Reply with quote

Well, since you've discounted Maui and HR (where I've sailed every month
except December and January BTW so I think the season is long), how
about nice warm Tarifa (it does rain a lot in December and January),
or El Yaque (maybe a little risky with the current political climate)
Those 2 would be cheap and warm and long.

-Craig

boardsurfr wrote:
What are great windsurfing places to live at? We are looking to move in a couple of years from the Boston area to somewhere warmer with great windsurfing access. We'll take our jobs with us, so that's not an issue.

We've just been to Maui and Hood River. Maui is probably too expensive for us. We loved Hood River, but the windsurfing season there is shorter than in Boston, and we'd prefer a warmer spot.

An suggestions for areas we should check out? Water and air temps > 50 for 10-11 months per year would be nice, with house prices below $300-400K for a small house. Hatteras is already on our list. Are there any places in the greater San Francisco area that are close to sailing spots, but where real estate is affordable?
jse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacspeed wrote:
Antioch? Good heavens. Don't send anyone there. It's like a prison sentence. 100 degrees + all summer and nothing in sight but strip malls and oil refineries.

The cheapest coolest part of the Bay Area, IMO, is the Santa Cruz mountains, hands down. Physically gorgeous, awesome weather, and short striking distance to the beach, the city, the valley, SFO, etc. Plenty of funky little hippie shacks in the woods for under 500k. Towns to google are Felton, Ben Lomond, and Boulder Creek.

Coming from Boston, you would find the delta to be like moving to the bible belt. Blech.

You gotta like fog if you wanna live in Santa Cruz or nearby.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sock in the mountains, does it? Figured those towns are a bit past the fog...sort of like SG Valley here.

If we weren't so tied to Marin, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Waddell, Scotts, Gazos, Davenport, and all the SC surfing 15 minutes away? Fuggedaboutit. Love Marin, but the surf is pretty weak.
braden

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pay attention to distances

what looks close on a map of california to a boston eye can turn out to be a major journey

just sayin
upwind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

braden wrote:
pay attention to distances

what looks close on a map of california to a boston eye can turn out to be a major journey

just sayin

Agreed! Traffic can screw your day.
jse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacspeed wrote:
It doesn't sock in the mountains, does it? Figured those towns are a bit past the fog...sort of like SG Valley here.

If we weren't so tied to Marin, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Waddell, Scotts, Gazos, Davenport, and all the SC surfing 15 minutes away? Fuggedaboutit. Love Marin, but the surf is pretty weak.

When I moved back to Cali in 1979 from Louisiana, I had a choice to work for a big corp in downtown SF or the County of Santa Cruz. I chose the former and moved in with my sister in San Rafael, then over the years ended up in Fairfax - the absolute coolest town in Marin. (If you don't believe me, check out the Fairfax Festival Parade next year.) My best friend lived in Santa Cruz near Pleasure Pt. so it was a tough choice. The career move was a no-brainer. But I really loved Santa Cruz. Now when I go back to Santa Cruz, it really depresses me. Partially because the town seems foreign to me, kind of economically depressed. But mostly because it's always foggy when I go there. My mood level is directly proportional to the marine layer over my head.

The one place I would have really liked to live, and perhaps still would is somewhere around Bonny Doon, Felton or Ben Lomond. I think the marine layer doesn't get in that far too often. And I remember one exceptional experience, hitch-hiking through the area, catching a ride from two cool dudes in a convertible, cruising through the area with the top down, sitting in the back seat with Paul Simon blaring on the stereo singing "Loves Me Like a Rock", head back staring straight up at the tops of the redwood trees.

Surf in Marin is definitely not that great. But I caught a few rides at Bolinas yesterday. I'm pretty weak in the surf, maybe if I hit it more often I'd be more inclined to think about Santa Cruz.

Steve
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Franklin, when making a decision, would write down the pros and cons , its better to see the list in print, you can also assign a numeric value to each, you will probably find you rate those you value most important a little higher...trend ..with your sub concious.

I live in Colorado, LOL, for windsurfing , but the close beach is only 20mins away, and with a careful watch on conditions, frontal passage, spindrifts,
most of these occur.

http://www.fairharbor.com/windsurf/WSwind.htm

........you can rig a 3.7 or 7.3 and most days you can sail one or the other, sometimes both,
not a sailing venue.

Rio Vista area has THE most consistant winds of anywhere I have sailed,
its very rural, compared to the Bay area or Sacramento, lots of little sleepy towns , with history. Need some night life ..? the city, like SanFran or Berzerkelley is near, don't want to drive, take the BART train.

thw windsurfing season is fairly long, rain in winter, expensive to live in California, just part of my pro con list.

Texas, Corpus Christi has good wind,(portion of the year) lagoon or ocean sailing, housing should be cheap enough, to me the area is not very appealing, but the ocean is.

Hatteras, to me is magic, love it, ocean, sound, very interesting area, Norfolk..big city, 100mi away, nice climate, sailing almost year round,
con side :those tropical storms, named , if it has a name it has to be bad.

Hood River: feels windsurf, DaKine , Chinook, Sailworks, all make it their home base, as a year round site, all the wind anyone could ever want, Oregon coast not too far away, con..icy winters, rain.

Maine if it had more warmth , could sail bigger stuff, long winter the serious con, everything else I would sound like the tourist board.

work, medical treatment, may all be concerns. hard choice

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things about Corpus Christi housing. Property tax rates are 3%. So on a $300,000 home, you'd pay close to 10K / year in taxes. In California, that would be about 3K per year, with a 1.5% increase per year on the tax bill. Of course that is represented in our crappy infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc...)

Also, you cannot rent houses week to week. Detached houses can only be rented on a month-to-month basis. So if you wanted to deal with income property that's rented for vacation purposes, keep that in mind.

Great sailing tho, good food if you like seafood.

Steve
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to find a good place in the USA that isn't crappy part of the year (too hot, too cold, too rainy, no wind, ...). The Gorge is sailable year round, but does get pretty cold in Dec, Jan, Feb. I typically sail the Gorge from March to mid Nov (I prefer air temps above 50F). Many local Gorge folk solve this problem by migrating down to Baja (La Ventana) or Maui from Nov - April.

Good luck in your search for windsurfing nirvana.
BobG
bajaguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobgatpdx1 wrote:
Hard to find a good place in the USA that isn't crappy part of the year (too hot, too cold, too rainy, no wind, ...). The Gorge is sailable year round, but does get pretty cold in Dec, Jan, Feb. I typically sail the Gorge from March to mid Nov (I prefer air temps above 50F). Many local Gorge folk solve this problem by migrating down to Baja (La Ventana) or Maui from Nov - April.

Good luck in your search for windsurfing nirvana.
BobG

Just to add...yes, there are many Gorge sailors that split the year between The Gorge and Baja. Real estate can be reasonable in both places along with the cost of living, especially in Baja. Some folks fly back and forth, but being able to drive is a big advantage for most. The climate in southern Baja is ideal from Oct to April along with the windsurfing in Los Barriles and La Ventana. And sailing the Gorge from April to October is the warmest part of the season there.

One thing to consider if you live in the Gorge is that Oregon has a state income tax and Washington doesn't; live in Washington, shop in Oregon (no sales tax) That can play into future retirement plans as to which side of the river to live on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: