myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Lopez questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a sail just like the purple Windwing in the foreground. A 6.7 RAF that I bought new in 1986. It was the first aftermarket sail I added to my quiver. My big sail.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lopez was gorgeous back then. I taught my son how to sail there. He's 13 now and rippin it up on Maui.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, I think that the Gaastra Slalom may have been the first mass produced, universally accepted sail, with a camber inducer.
But others were right on their heals, ie., Neil Pryde's Warp Speed, and the Aeroforce.
Somebody should write a book, but not me.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Aeroforce experience:
• It took two of us 1.5 hours to rig it the first time.
• It was unstoppable in lulls; once planing it felt like a perpetual motion machine.
• It turned like a 45-foot motor home with no power steering belt.
• You had to call in a Chinook helicopter to waterstart it.
• We never rigged it a second time.

I (and that ranger) wish I had known not to tell her the truth about how much gear I was hauling (I couldn't figure out why she cared how many boards and sails I owned; I assumed she was just being chatty until I saw the dollar signs in her eyes). A few boards X a few sails = >20 possible combinations at a few bucks a pop.

Mike \m/
fibersnap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like those old pictures, take me back... Post more if you got 'em. thanks!
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fibersnap wrote:
Like those old pictures, take me back... Post more if you got 'em. thanks!

Okay, but I've only got one left that is a 'general shot', all the rest of my pics from there, are of my local sailing buddies, some still around, some aren't, I'd rather not post them w/o their clearance. Nothing really to see anyway if you don't know them. Some of 'us' still sail often but it's mostly in the ocean/waves.

This is a fairly good shot, it shows the lake almost full (95%), me in the center on my Pryde, and a couple of my buddies on their "KKK" sails (Aeroforce) trying to dominate with superior fire power, and doing it. 1986 I think.
This was also the same time that George Greenough would show up with his spoon and the rest of his 'homemade' gear and sail with us, he was a hoot, talked good story, sailed good too.
The second shot (not my photo) taken off Pismo Beach, shows the gear that George used at the lake, he needed wind though, he wouldn't be out there until we were on 5.5's or smaller. I could never get over his harness.

001 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  414.05 KB
 Viewed:  13935 Time(s)

001 (2).jpg

3305735.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.61 KB
 Viewed:  13935 Time(s)

3305735.jpg

fibersnap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool , thanks for the photos.

I remember sailing Lopez in the 80s on my north speed tcc (spider??)

I always wanted one of those aeroforce sails at the time, but was too poor... When the wide luff race sails came back in vogue, I knew I had to get one in white...
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great shot of Greenough in action. Before he started making his own sails, like the one depicted in the photo, he was sailing modified Aeroforce sails. Given the fact that his handmade carbon boom was a fixed size, he modified and shortened the clew of the sail conceptually much like what many sail manufacturers are doing today.

George was such an innovator. As you will note, he is also using a one piece 100% carbon RDM that he made. For those that might not know, George was the original designer/builder of the RDM concept, and he later gave the idea to the folks at NoLimitz.
mikecole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photo of George! Thanks for sharing...

Steve, I ran into Charlie at Leds the other day, he's the only central cal sailor that I know of that still uses a Grenough hook. He glues some kind of ribbed material to the inside of his boom to create "hook-points". It works!

Mike
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikecole wrote:
Great photo of George! Thanks for sharing...

Steve, I ran into Charlie at Leds the other day, he's the only central cal sailor that I know of that still uses a Grenough hook. He glues some kind of ribbed material to the inside of his boom to create "hook-points". It works!

Mike

That was a strip cut out of the center of a BMX bicycle tire, at least that's what Charlie and George were using back then.
And for accuracy sake, the photo I posted is actually off of Oceano, just south of Pismo about 3-4 miles.
Here's another stock photo of George's gear taken from a very old Windsurfing magazine, I think.
I remember his 'custom' Aeroforce sail, he had to cut into the clue to make it shorter for his boom, so he reinforced both sides of the shortened clew area with thin sheets of aluminum or stainless, shaped like flat horseshoes, and rivited together thru the sail. That way he was able to maintain the shape of the sail above and below his boom clew.
And his fin which is in mass production, FG only, turns out to work pretty good on standup paddle boards.

Boy did this thread take a turn down memory lane.

George Greenough 4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.94 KB
 Viewed:  13856 Time(s)

George Greenough 4.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: