myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best Weed Fin I have ever used!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaterKook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Best Weed Fin I have ever used!!! Reply with quote

Cape Cod in the summer time has some great SW wind sailing the only problem is it can be weedy. I have tried just about every weed fin on the market and have found they shed weeds but also shed performance! Crying or Very sad

Just bought a MFC San Carlos weed and have to say it is the best weed fin I have ever used! Very Happy
(check it out @ http://www.inlandsea.com/p-582-mfc-san-carlos-weed.aspx )
I got the 22cm fin and sailed it the other day on an 85 ltr freestyle wave board in marginal (had to pump 50% of the time to get on a plane) conditions. I did pick up one clump of the big green weed (I call shred-locks because it looks like dreadlocks) when I was dogging but was able to drop it with some pumping and jumping.
Outcast, you would even like this fin!!!

mewindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the san carlos weed. I shaved my 21 cm down for freestyle, and it feels just like a real freestyle fin! The only problem is that for Long Island sailing it won't shed the weeds in the summer months. What it is good for is giving you another month on each side of the weedy season with a real fin. It should also work good for those annoying springtime and fall weeds in Hatteras. Again it's good for those times when the weeds are just enough to get annoying, not for when you're riding through thick weeds. I highly recommend it for those in less weedy areas and those looking to extend the "real fin" season.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what he said

last year pk and i matched the Surfgrass against the MFC weeder, and the surfgrass caught much more grass than the weeder shed.
i don't think the outline of the SanCarlos is any more shallow than the surfgrass, so i think that you are just blowing smoke too early in the season.

sure glad you got a new fin though Laughing Laughing

Meantime i'm still in the progess of grinding down a couple of weeders for the twin fin that i never use.....

It's going to be freaking scary trying to do the grass wiggle when whitey is chasing us down
Had fun in wellfleet last pm in the MICROsurf....i am the king of sub-ankle surf!....done with SUPs till the fall....just crawling

lasrer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I am having similar excellent results with the MFC weedburner 34 and 29. Early planing, good speed, little, if any, spinout, and smooth jibes.

I have looked for a good early planing weed fin like this since the 80s.

MFC seems to really have their act together!

ed sinofsky.
paulf.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before this thread gets too far off topic, note that the san carlos is a wave fin with a weed ramp, not a weed fin like the burner. i've been very happy with the 25 and 23 cm sizes in 102 and 92l boards respectively over the fall and spring but the real weed season is yet to test them. i never caught weeds on the surfgrass, but they are so slow and draggy to begin with maybe i didn't notice. sancarlos is much crisper sailing. hopefully enough ramp for the summer season.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Paul I think you are right it is not going to drop all the weeds and I think it will need some help at times but I am ok with that. The next fin we will all need is and oil or tar-ball fin. I hope MFC is working on them right now. Mad
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have not tried the "best" weed fin the MFC SC style, the True Ames Weed Wave I like, the weed blade no so, its a slo turner.

the MFC weed burner OTOH is a gem

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Weed Fin? Yesterday, I sailed with a 36cm Lessacher and a 6.5 sail. It isn't recommended for sails that small, but it worked like a charm fully powered up. I found it worked well fully powered with a 9.6, but did leave something to be desired when marginally powered. Next I have to try it with an 8.4
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
Best Weed Fin? Yesterday, I sailed with a 36cm Lessacher and a 6.5 sail. It isn't recommended for sails that small, but it worked like a charm fully powered up. I found it worked well fully powered with a 9.6, but did leave something to be desired when marginally powered. Next I have to try it with an 8.4

That's all great, I suppose, but the topic is about weed fins -yet your post offers nothing specific in that regard.

Lessacher makes at least three fins of 36cm. What one did you use?
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:

Did Sailingjoke give you permission to post?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: