myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Irony or Poetic Justice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Irony or Poetic Justice? Reply with quote

First let me say that most kiters are not jerks.

Today the playpen at Sherman Island was very crowded with swimmers and fisherman, too crowded for any light wind freestyle I thought. Apparently a kiter thought it was the perfect setting for boosting in the middle of the pen. After a couple of jumps I guess he wasn’t getting the crowd reaction he was looking for-I don’t think many of the swimmers or fishermen spoke English very well- so he decided to make a high speed pass right along the rocks fronting the road. As he came riding in close to the road he got tangled in the fishermen’s line at which point the foreign fisherman became Captain Obvious by yelling “Hey Dumb Ass, you have the whole river to sail in. Get the F%*#@ out of here”

At this point I couldn’t hold it any more and I broke out laughing. A kiter getting caught in a fisherman’s line. Poetic justice or just plain irony?

Coachg
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Poetic justice, definitely. Smile
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the Kite forums sometime. with all the safety "awareness" in their community this behavior amazes me. The #1 thing that riles me is when they "boost" 20' UPWIND of me. Have some situational awareness jack@$$! I might rescue you when you need it in 10mins!
wetdog69

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear they make good pinatas!
johnnyo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a kiter come flying into the beach at SI totally out of control, lost his rig which went flying over the bushes, and nearly hit my 8 year old standing next to me. Like the fisherman said, just a dumb ass.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unfortunately neither. Just a typical day at Crissy Field this season.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is probably not going to go away ever.

Kiting, even for the fairly non athletic types, is so easy to pick up versus other sports, and do you get people to go crazy when you mention that.

Take surfing, you really need to build up to a point, experience and athletically, to be able to be comfortable being at most breaks, you aren't going to paddling out at Fort Point or OB on a big day.

Same as wave sailing, not going to going down the line on the coast after 6 weeks experience in 95% of instances. A good few years of experience, break a lot of gear, pay your dues, multiple times usually. For that matter most bay spots can be treacherous on some days.

Kiting took off so quickly just because so many could get the gear and get going so easily without a lot of ability. Hence the number of deaths and injuries plus the much higher percentage of idiots, not all but many more than you seem to find in other activities.

Have sailed at tougher spots like Gazza's Creek, not for the faint hearted, with 5 or 6 kiter's, and they were some of nicest people I have run across in years.

Equally said some of the kiter's I ran into at PSC were super idiots.

Hopefully it will mature, unlikely though as the "I am so extreme" mentality for no reason won't go away in a hurry.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that kiting attracts a higher share of idiots than any other sport. But idiotic behavior while kiting tends to be highly visible and can have terrible consequences both for the idiot and for those who are unlucky enough to be in the vicinity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: