myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Silicon Valley sweatshops
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, get ready to be poor, because that's what B Hussain Obama will get you, unless you've been holding gold.

He is a MARXIST. (A crappy MARXIST)
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Mr Bard, China is a communist country. They are allied with countries like NKorea, and the Sudan. They also have 1TR in US paper on their books, im pretty sure I dont want to sacrifice my ways to be like them.

However, the very fact that the Chinese are financing your "ways" will inevitably lead to us bowing to "their ways". Do you think that our negotiating position on N Korea and Iran is strengthened by the knowledge that they already own massive amounts of our debt?..........or their certain knowledge that we will be coming back to them, again and again, cap in hand, for the foreseeable future? The price of our ever increasing national debt is way more than the huge interest payments.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Obama could easily attract millions of jobs back to America if he'd cut regulations, leave taxes alone, and promote the idea that America is and will always be a free market economy.

And even those benefits would pale compared to the national and global impact of implementing the Fair Tax system in the U.S.

Mike
joew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Key issue from the OP was Apple's outsourcing to a Taiwanese subcontractors mainland "sweatshop." While that may be abhorrent to some of us in the developed west in 2010, someone born into a life of harsh rural poverty in the rice paddies of China may look at that "sweatshop" as an opportunity to get out, to dream of improving ones lot and help improve the life of family members left behind with remittances. Yes this specific subcontractor's factory conditions sound draconian and severe, but were these workers marched from thier villages at gun point? Many of our ancestors left europe in centuries past for the same reasons to work in the textile mills of New England and the steel mills of Pennsylvania where similar conditions prevailed. So whats the big deal, this story has been playing out for nearly two decades in Shenzen and the other manufacturing meccas of Gwongduong province, just because Apple, that hallowed brand is complicit,in this it's front page news? I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED, I must tell you, ,to learn of this Log a couple of weeks transplanting rice seedlings and that job in Shenzen might be looking pretty good.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a way for some to take a shot at the Bay area. Without acknowledging that unions might have a place.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
Mr Bard, China is a communist country. They are allied with countries like NKorea, and the Sudan. They also have 1TR in US paper on their books, im pretty sure I dont want to sacrifice my ways to be like them.

However, the very fact that the Chinese are financing your "ways" will inevitably lead to us bowing to "their ways". Do you think that our negotiating position on N Korea and Iran is strengthened by the knowledge that they already own massive amounts of our debt?..........or their certain knowledge that we will be coming back to them, again and again, cap in hand, for the foreseeable future? The price of our ever increasing national debt is way more than the huge interest payments.

I agree with you mr. Gybe. If you want to talk protectionism, Im all for it. I personally dont think China should be allowed to own as much US paper as they do, its going to create a huge issue at some point, maybe real soon.BTW, we already bow to their ways, thats why no US prez has the ballsac to do anything meaningful about the currency manipulation.
I really wish the righties out there were raising hell when Bush upped our national debt from 4.8TR-almost 10 Tr during his reign, we could have used the tea baggers in 2003, 2005, 2006.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Just a way for some to take a shot at the Bay area. Without acknowledging that unions might have a place.

Private sector unions once had a place, but unfortunately, jobs can be shipped offshore with the click of a mouse today.

However, The government sector is full of Union madness. They should be outlawed immediately. They will bankrupt us, they will bleed us, and they already earn 50-75% more that equivalent private sector jobs. They have incredible retirement benefits, and produce very little compared to the private sector.

Obama has only printed money to hire more unproductive government employees. Our future is mortgaged on HOPE AND CHANGE.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks joew for the insightful post.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Thanks joew for the insightful post.

Blatant expoitation of workers is unacceptable.......so is joew's punctuation!
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can one of you righties explain to me how we stop the exploitation of workers without either unions or the coercive power of the State? How many BP workers were killed in their other spectactular accident, and what did the company do about it absent OSHA and union pressure?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: