myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
If you or your kids are gray or bald, this vid's for you
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: If you or your kids are gray or bald, this vid's for you Reply with quote

I can't believe we made it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyRV4Fe7Wz0
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: If you or your kids are gray or bald, this vid's for you Reply with quote

Fun to watch.

I know a fair amount of my high school graduating class never thought I'd
make it (to 40). Guess they were wrong. ;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:
I can't believe we made it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyRV4Fe7Wz0
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a disconnect between how youth today is portrayed, and how they actually behave.

Fragile woke snowflakes get too much publicity, but most of the young are no different to what they ever used to be. I see first hand what many achieve in Mountain Biking skills, and the dangerous risks many take to overcome, and reach a skill level that is way beyond anything known previously. And yes, being so radical (huge jumps, radical downhills, somersaults etc) can go very wrong and cripple some for keeps!

Ditto surfing giant waves (only the fearless young) and kite surfing massive jumps over piers, or kayaking huge waterfalls, all putting the bar considerably higher than ever it used to be. (Only the young need apply.)

Human nature hasn't changed, however risk averse many adults now wish to make it for their children. Very many don't take much notice!
vientomas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso is a long in the tooth poster pining for the old days. A bit sad and very MAGA like.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One example of kids advancing rapidly is the Olympic downhill skier (I don't know the names) who first skied at about 10 and became a world champion before she was old enough to get a driver's license. I can't comprehend that even if she skied 300 days a year.

OTOH, I'm not around kids much, but I do see more with cell phones epoxied to their faces than roughhousing outdoors. Our street has many kids, big yards, almost no vehicle traffic, no strangers in sight, but I see them outdoors only when the school bus comes and goes or when a parent actually takes them for a walk in the street. Our next door neighbor has two kids that are allowed out of their home only to go to school or literally within three feet of a parent taking a walk a few times a year. Their growth from the age of maybe 8 to their present 12-14 startled me, because I've seen them maybe three times.

Some cities will arrest a parent who allows their kids to play in their own yard, even if Mom is watching them from 50 feet away. Countless kids get trophies and A's just for showing up at a ball game or class, and Miss America jumped off a high rise presumably because people were treating her on social media like many do in this forum.

The video really resonated for me because I nodded in familiarity and agreement all the way through it. Starting at the age of 6 or even sooner, a non-schoolday for me meant eating breakfast, heading for "the hills", and getting back in time for supper. "The hills" meant such things as damming up a big creek a mile away, sliding in a car hood down the side of a 20-foot levee covered with lumberyard wood chunks, finding my way through the forest to Malcolm's house miles away, swimming and diving in a river full of visible raw household sewage, swiping rowboats and paddling all over the river, hiking crosscountry and through the middle of town to the city pool for 6-8 hours of horseplay (season ticket was $7.50), practicing a variety of band horns way up in the tree, sneaking into hay and cotton warehouses to build bale forts and dive into 20 feet of cottonseeds, climbing around lumberyards, catching snakes including copperheads and moccasins, cliff diving from 30-60 feet, and much more ... often barefooted.

I feel sorry for kids who can't or won't go out and play spontaneously, but then they don't know any better and probably feel sorry for me having to windsurf, hike, snowmobile, dirt bike, climb this, jump off of that, play in the pool 50 hours a week, etc. My back yard right now is part of a canyon with miles of great trails and rock walls and creeks below dozens of homes, but in 20 years I have yet to see a kid in there. It's normally just me and my two dogs running loose until we run out of energy.

HELL, yes, I miss having the energy and time to play ALL the time, but I probably played more by the time I was 10 than most of today's kids will in a lifetime. In addition, hard play keeps people in great shape, guards against most diseases, and keeps smiles on their faces ... something Vientomas, aka Morewind, apparently sorely needs.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars, I have to ask, do you think that kids still ride bicycles in today's world? I have a hard time believing that they don't. Yet, given your observations and comments, I'm thinking that you're of the mind that they don't because their parents won't allow it. I think a trip to a local bicycle store might offer you some perspective.

You might also check out the local skateboard shop. They wouldn't be in business without kids.
vientomas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember duck and cover drills in school during the cold war. We survived that somehow. Now round two is on the horizon. Yep, sure miss the old days. Not.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid observation on the skateboards, etc., Chandler. I've always been stunned at the stuff modern parents let their kids do on concrete and steel. At least my parents could plead innocent -- well, maybe negligent -- but anybody with a TV or cell phone sees stuff that should scare the crap out of them. It took me an hour to bolt on all the protective crap I wore when racing dirt bikes and snowmobiles, and that was on softer surfaces. Just my custom kevlar WSing vest cost me $400.

But I wonder what percentage of today's kids are doing anything more strenuous than video games? The military has been unable for years to meet their recruitment goals because most applicants can't come close to meeting even the most basic fitness criteria.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you both mentioned it, I taught my Grandkids to Skateboard (risky
business all around). I might have some video around somewhere to bore
you with( https://youtu.be/9b6kwC22FoI). Toys for kids outdoors these days are amazing. Along with the
standard Bikes and boards and skates and skis and sleds, and stuff. My
Son (who is 41) is trying to teach me how to use a one-wheel (his 9 year old son rides),
and hover boards are pretty cool too. I think it probably depends on your
neighborhood(and your parents). I understand what Mike is saying though, I see plenty of
kids with ear-glued phones, and frankly they look a little unhealthy.
I also see plenty of kids just going nuts in Post Canyon(Hood River), where
I would probably just be killed (gonna take the wife and I on Family Man
this spring for her 1st off road Hood River bike intro). Hood River and
Salt lake may be anomalous though, and I don't spend a lot of time
exposed to downtown urban environments (but there's always parkour
for the kiddos there ;*) )

Guess I see it both ways, just like you knew I would ;*)

-Craig

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old guys like us must admit that even in our time, not all kids excelled in active sports and bravado deeds. Our time included lot of nerds too.

Did you watch the Olympics? A lot of young folks doing radical things that were impossible in our time.

Last edited by swchandler on Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: