myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
River Temp
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellyv

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: River Temp Reply with quote

Since it has been such a cool spring, I am wondering how long it takes for the river to warm up to mid to lower 60's once the air temp changes to the 70's and 80's (on average). 2 weeks? 1 month?

Hello June 1st! Can't remember a spring this dark and cold. Sad
iacmoderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: re: Water Temp Reply with quote

Quote:

Hello June 1st! Can't remember a spring this dark and cold.

What do you mean dark and cold? According to Al Gore, this is the hottest spring in history. Are you one of those evil global warming skeptics?
billgfc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely not, here.

I have a poli sci degree with as many environmental credits as poli sci. that was 1969 to 73 at Univ of VT.

That said I have watched his original presentation without a bunch of name callers and commentators trying to distract. I paid attention to the spoken word. That was several years ago.

Then, this winter, I saw him live in Portland. The talk was similar to a lecture by an educator. what I learned fit with my education.

global warming is real, despite seasonal fluctuation. If nothing else we must focus on renewable energy and decrease fossil fuel use. Please carpool to Doug s an Roosevelt!
jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local weather office stated that this was the first year since 1996 that is has not reached 80 degrees locally. I dont expect the water to warm too quickly once it warms up, since there is an aweful lot of snow waiting to melt and all that cold runnoff ought to keep the warming at a slower pace i.e.. less than 1degree per week. IMO. I'm just happy to be able to wear the short sleeve wetysuit and no booties finally. Smile
jesusjones

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: gay Fin hat bro Reply with quote

Just take three shots of Tequila and rip in your underwear.

sombrero-straw-mexican-hat.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.81 KB
 Viewed:  42402 Time(s)

sombrero-straw-mexican-hat.jpg

gwandsh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: It will happen quickly Reply with quote

I think the river temp is actually well into the 50's by now, and with a couple of weeks of good sun energy should be in the 60's.

I was just thinking this weekend that aropund June 1 I usually switch to a 3/3 suit with a thin neo under layer (my next option after a drysuit).

I can't recall a spring when the weather was so uncooperative (temp wise anyways) for early season sailing in the past dozen or so years. The air temps are not the biggest issue for me, it's the associated fluky winds that I find to be a real pain.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a graph of the 10 year average river temp.
Typically get to 60F by mid-June.
- BobG

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.71 KB
 Viewed:  42297 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've already got guys in shorties. Come on up.

And, PLEASE, bring some wind. I haven't checked with the guys who keep sailing diaries, but this has to be the worst wind year I've seen here in a quarter century. Also, we're still in coats on land 'til noon, and the days start getting shorter in just a couple of weeks.

Mike ;-(
kellyv

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I wonder if the average is off right now and how quickly it will recover once the heat kicks in. Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot shows the water temp "should be" 57 degrees today.
The water temp is 57 degrees today.
Can't beat that with a stick!
Fortunately, water temp is manageable with neoprene or fleece + Goretex; lack of wind is tough to manage.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: