myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Strange perceptions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Strange perceptions Reply with quote

It is blowing 22-32 at Kanaha today.
I couldn't resist sending this:

This is weird, but interesting!

If you can raed this, you have a sgtrane mnid too

Can you raed this? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm.. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit to an adjustment period, but after I got the drift, I could read things pretty quickly. The human mind is surprisingly quite capable of flexibility. That's very refreshing, especially for an older guy like me that has had senior moments at times. Still though, remembering names has always been particularly tough for me, even though I rarely forget a face.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A similar challenge is talking while your voice is fed back to your headphones, delayed by a fraction of a second. The person administering that test said almost no one could do it well, that only one person of hundreds tested that day had been able to completely ignore the delayed feedback and speak normally.

It comes in handy here. ,-)

Mike
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically Delayed Auditory Response causes stuttering. I know this
because my wife is a Speech Pathologist and has used said equipment
on me. I'm the 1 person in 100s that can deal with it without a break
in my fluency. How that relates to integrating visually garbled words,
requires more plasticity than even I have, but I can also read those
grbaeld words without issue.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
A similar challenge is talking while your voice is fed back to your headphones, delayed by a fraction of a second. The person administering that test said almost no one could do it well, that only one person of hundreds tested that day had been able to completely ignore the delayed feedback and speak normally.

It comes in handy here. ,-)

Mike
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was kid my parents enrolled me in Experimental Education of every kind. One of these pre computer experiments involved teaching us to speed read by looking at only the first and last letter of each word.
Some of the material looked like this and at the end they only provided the first and last letters of the material, in the belief we would go through the condensed material at lightning speed.
Last part failed. Our reading speed slowed down a lot compared to scrambled material similar to this.
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange perceptions Reply with quote

You forgot the footer Wink

Quote:

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm.. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Sent from my iPhone

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: