myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuit shrinkage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellyv

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Wetsuit shrinkage Reply with quote

Is it possible for a wetsuit to shrink over time? Even if just in dry storage out of sunlight? Had one in storage for 7 yrs and tried it on. Before trying it on it just looked like it lost a size. Less elastic than I remember as well.
Khardin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you could set it up a slam dunk about you getting fatter any better if you tried.
kellyv

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know that for sure. No excuses. I've taken to long of a break from the sport and getting back. I've dropped 30 lbs so far. Also became more burly from the exercise. And I know I had more weight to lose. But thought I would fit a little better than I did. I'll get there. Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about size, but they do lose elasticity.

Recommended Storage Conditions for neoprene storage include

* Store in a cool, dry place with temperature below 75°F.
* Keep away from direct heat or open flames.
* Avoid contact with solvents or other fluids. Most hydrocarbons attack neoprene; [near car (garage) or propane furnace might be less than ideal.
* Do not store in direct sunlight.
* Keep products wrapped or sealed to minimize the absorption of moisture.
* Store in a relaxed condition free from tension, compression or other deformation (lying flat sounds best).
* Shelf life under ideal conditions 5-10 years.

Google <neoprene wetsuit storage conditions> for many useful tips for storing your NEXT wetsuit. Best off-season storage place may be beneath your bed. Here's one of them: "In the spring/summer before you use the wetsuit for the first time, soak the wetsuit in the bath tub for a bit then hang it up to dry. It will be dry to the touch but a micro amount of water will have made it's way back inside the neoprene and this makes the suit more flexible than when it's completely dried out. Many people just pull on the wetsuit for the first time in the spring/summer without doing this and they think that either the suit has shrunk or they have put on 10 pounds over the winter. I will admit that the latter, is not an impossibility."

Mike \m/
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wetsuit shrinkage Reply with quote

kellyv wrote:
Is it possible for a wetsuit to shrink over time? Even if just in dry storage out of sunlight? Had one in storage for 7 yrs and tried it on. Before trying it on it just looked like it lost a size. Less elastic than I remember as well.

LOLOLOL! Ya that's what I thought too Kelly! HA! Trouble is I went and bought bigger suits and then lost 30lbs...What a DA I am. Oh well I got PLENTY of room now! Better too much than not enough!..... Cool

kellyv

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. I was sure asking for it. Can't lose the pounds fast enough. Will have to break down and buy a new suit as I doubt I will get back into my old one for at least a couple more months. Wink
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not often that I will agree with isobars, but he is right about soaking the wetsuit before using it. In fact, I would recommend trying it on while it's still wet.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dropped 30??!! Good for you!

Wetsuits do shrink a bit over time, and combined with the loss of elasticity can be impossible to put back on. I learned this with an old surfing wetsuit--No change in weight, but absolutely could not put it on.

The good news is the new suits are awesome, super stretchy & comfortable. Check out ProMotion suits at www.wesuit.com You can call them up & discuss sizing & fit all you want, & their suits are great, as well as very reasonably priced.

kellyv

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spennie
It's been tooo long and need to get back out. Of course all my down time and focus on work and family added a lot more me to me. Been hitting the gym and diet pretty hard. I have had a couple Promotions in the past. Great suits. Love that they are located right in the Gorge. And stretchy is plus!!!

I dig your site. Nicely done.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Wetsuits do shrink a bit over time...

That's good to know, mine still has a bowling ball stuck in it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: