myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Doug's sensor report on cellphone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarryW

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Doug's sensor report on cellphone Reply with quote

I've noticed over the last few days that while I can get a reading for Doug's on my computer I can't get a reading on my cellphone. When I check it on my cell the reading for Doug's says N/A. Has anyone else had this problem?
windfind

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Dougs Reply with quote

Are you using our iphone Windalert app or just a regular web page? Can you get rest of the iwindsurf.com sensors on your phone? If you can get any Gorge sensor you should be able to get Dougs. Give me some details and I will look into it for you.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
GarryW

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at my cellphone (I have US Cellular) and right now sites are listed from Arlington to Rooster Rock and then is reads n/a Doug's Beach. I'm not using an Iphone.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me an hour or two over several days to figure it out, too. It’s far from intuitive.

Home computer > iWndsurf > MyWind > left side “Configure W. Web” > at any site in your resulting list of Wind Report Links, click on “add” > in the resulting “Add a Wind Site Link to Your Wireless Web Homepage (My Wind) First, choose a region”, choose “OR-Columbia River” from the drop-down list > Next > Place a check beside “Doug’s 57A, OR” and uncheck “Doug’s Beach, WA” > Click on “Add!” at the bottom of the page.

Whew! You’re done. Go have a beer and rest a while.

Mike \m/
windfind

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: yep, isobars is right. Reply with quote

I checked through our site and what happened is when we decommissioned the old Dougs sensor we had to give the new sensor a different name. So we named the new sensor "Doug’s 57A, OR" which is the name of the actual navigational marker where the new sensor is located.

Unfortunately that means you have to select "Doug’s 57A, OR" on your MyIW page to get it on your phone. Then delete the old "Doug's"

Isobars describes the process perfectly in the above post.

Incidentally George McLean has been working doing research by jibing at the new Dougs sensor and so far the sensor seems more accurate than the old one.

Sorry for the problem with the phone.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: yep, isobars is right. Reply with quote

Hey Mike, I'd be happy to do that research for any more sensors
you put on or near the water.

-Craig

windfind wrote:

Incidentally George McLean has been working doing research by jibing at the new Dougs sensor and so far the sensor seems more accurate than the old one.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
GarryW

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your help. It looks right now.
bmmiller

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions supplied by isobars only apply to members using Wireless Web membership. You may want to update your "myiW" page as well. Unfortunately, these two configurations are separate. So, updating one does not impact the other. You can edit your "myiW" page at anytime by clicking on myiW (or myiK for kiters) and selecting "Edit/Add/Remove".
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you're right. I hadn't noticed that. Thanks.

Now ... what about the blue line forecast on the dynamic graph? It shows up on my cell phone but not on my desktop.

Mike \m/
windfind

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: blue line Reply with quote

The blue line on the wind graph viewed on a wireless phone is a computer forecast from one of the numerical models.

You can see the same blue line on your computer if you go to a Gorge wind map and mouse over any of our sensors. A tiny version of that site's wind graph will pop up along with the same blue line.

In both the phone and computer images the blue line is useless in the Gorge except on the windiest days.

Actually on most days the blue line it is like a broken clock... it is perfectly correct for a moment twice a day. Once when the wind exceeds the forecast and then again when the wind fades below the forecast value. If you go out just at those moments you will find the blue line very accurate.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: