myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfer missing?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesusjones

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Windsurfer missing? Reply with quote

Watching the news, it was reported a Windsurfer has gone missing around Arlington. Anyone care to share what may have happened?
Bond1

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Windsurfer missing? Reply with quote

jesusjones wrote:
Watching the news, it was reported a Windsurfer has gone missing around Arlington. Anyone care to share what may have happened?

I just saw a report that a body had been recovered. No mention of ID.
Temira

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bond, can you please post a link to the report you read. Thanks, Temira
Bond1

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windbabe wrote:
Bond, can you please post a link to the report you read. Thanks, Temira

I'm sorry, I haven't been able to find anything online. This report was on KGW TV news this morning.

Edit: The news said the body was found near Boardman.
Temira

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boardman... We were all sailing out of Threemile yesterday. It was blowing 40-60 or so... really, really windy. All I can say is please, please, please people, wear helmets and warm wetsuits when you are out sailing. Most sailing deaths are preventable. I am tired of my sailing buddies dying. =(

My thoughts go out to his friends and his daughter and everyone else in the sailing community. Take care, everyone.
WMP

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kptv.com/news/23446899/detail.html

Indeed.... thoughts and prayers (RIP).

It's been almost exactly 2 years since the last windsurfing death (at The Wall). This time of year is especially risky in the Gorge because of the cold water, cold, gusty wind and massive sized swell.

Yes, windbabe, I think a helmet is just fine if that makes you feel better about sailing OP'd. However, it might be wiser to just NOT go out there if you're feeling WAY overpowered and out of control. That was my choice at Roosevelt yesterday (and a few other sailors), we came back to The Wall where it was way more controllable.
pepig

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windbabe wrote:
Boardman... We were all sailing out of Threemile yesterday. It was blowing 40-60 or so... really, really windy. All I can say is please, please, please people, wear helmets and warm wetsuits when you are out sailing.

I'm not usually a big proponent for helmets and vests, but when pushing your ability level or placing yourself in conditions that are challenging, helmets, impact vests and warm wetsuits are all severely important pieces of equipment.
Totally in support of your comments Temira! Safety is so important and so overlooked.

My thoughts go out to Jeff's friends and daughter who he leave behind.

Pepi
markandmonique

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he was out sailing with Luther and Victor Roy, and decided to go out for "1 more lap" in the gnarly 50 mph gusts. Luther went out with him, but turned around and came back to shore, and then they didn't see him after that. (this is second hand info from a close friend)

I sure will miss seeing Jeff out on the water ripping the faces of the swells, and waving as he goes by. Never did a day go by that he wasn't full of stoke and happiness. He skied with the same enthusiasm, and was a life long lover of ski racing.

Jeff lost his wife Connie about 5 years ago, and now they both leave their beautiful daughter Hannah that is about 16.

Hannah I am so sorry life has dealt you this hand... It is not fair for such a great girl to go through this at your age.

Your mom and dad loved you so much, and have done such an amazing job raising you. Especially your dad in these last years. Keeping you ski racing and loving sports!

Jeff my friend, I sure will miss that smile and charisma of yours.

Much love, Monique Pelletier Anderson
wind4us

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: man missing and died Reply with quote

For everyone out there. Ten years ago while sailing in big conditions my equipment broke and I lost my gear. All of a sudden I was in the middle of the river, alone, swimming for my life in ten foot swells with a30 mph wind blowing. I am an advanced sailor and am not scared of those con ditions. With the cold water, strong current and cold air temperatures soon I found myself hypothermic. I swam to shore and with the last bit of energy I made it. I was so weak from the event that I crawled up on shore and passed out. Two hours later I woke up and crawled to the road and some folks, helped me back to my car, which was on the other side of the river. One week later I wasn't feeling good so I went to the doctor and found I was in kidney failure. I went to OHSU and was put on dialisis for 4 days. I almost died! My point is that this can happen to anyone and you have to ask yourself if your life is worth an epic day of sailing. I love to sail and won't stop but for my family and friends I won't risk my life for a sport. My heart goes out to the sailor and his family I hope we can learn from this.
kellyv

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail safe people. Our sport does have it's risks, and unfortunately bad stuff can and does happen. Especially when the cold weather is a factor. Most of my mishaps on the water have happened toward the end of a session. Going out for one more run. This could have been the case here it sounds like.

RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: