myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Trouble with Longboards.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kona 380E is definitely not 80 cm wide. That is a typo on the website. I think it is only 65 cm wide.

The Kona MAHALO, on the other hand really is close to 80 cm wide. It is like an extra long and wide version of the Kona ONE, and has footstrap inserts and a mast track in front so it has the option to be used as a tandem. The inserts could also probably be useful for attaching a gear bag, kayak paddles, etc. There's your expedition board!

http://www.kona-windsurfing.com/products/konamahalo.asp
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. I had considered the tandem but there is nowhere to try one out here. (England.)

Nobody can say how it would handle with a single person using the rear mast slot. I would ask Kona, but they could hardly be expected to point out any problems. If anybody CAN say from experience of using one, that would be different.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurgle- You can ask on the Kona forum, but my understanding is that the mahalo works great in single rider mode, and that's actually what it's mainly designed for.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked (about Mahalo) on both the Kona forum and the Longboard forum, but had no replies. I'm wondering if any have actually been sold?
VinceSF

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I've asked (about Mahalo) on both the Kona forum and the Longboard forum, but had no replies. I'm wondering if any have actually been sold?

Sure it has: I know of 2 in the Bay Area (San Francisco)
here it is in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYndsE4DVk
the wind was light but we managed!

Vincent
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks VinceSF. It looked great fun. I've had a reply on the Kona forum from a solo user also, and he does rate it as suitable. The next step now is to actually find one over here!
sailaero

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few answers to some questions. The nose on the kona elite is wide for two reasons. The wide width creates lift which allows it to plane earlier. It also keeps it from pearling in ocean swells. I have sailed the Mahalo in single sailor mode and it works great for sailors over 200 lbs. Below that weight there is no speed advantage over the Kona one.

Steve Gottlieb
Exocet/ Kona North America
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered new Mahalo.Had a lot of feedback now, and they would seem to be highly suitable as a stable, go anywhere, load carrying board. They aren't even all that expensive! (Compared to wave boards, that is.)

From all accounts there will be no problem using it solo with camping gear up front. (Ex long term camping sea kayaker, so got it down to a fine art.)

Can't understand why no others are in the least interested in camping journeys. I suppose it depends on location. We are lucky in having a magnificent coastline with islands galore, and very variable weather patterns. There's nowt like a challenge!! Can't wait.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a fun time on the Mahalo last summer. It allowed me to take a distant family relative windsurfing with me just as I might have taken someone sailing. Tandem windsurfing is so much fun it is surprising to me that more people haven't gravitated to it. It is challenging to adjust technique to accommodate the other sailor, but makes planing jibes a huge accomplishment even after decades of successful solo jibes.

I did sail it solo as well and it does go, but there is no need for all that extra length and weight unless you use it for strapping down 100+ lbs of person or gear. Long distance exploring on windsurfers has been done for years, but I can't think of another board better suited to carry all the stuff you really need than the Mahalo.

Congratulations, GURGLETROUSERS. I hope you enjoy it, and send us pics when you have it all rigged up for travel!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. Won't be free to roll until early July, but will report back afterwards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: