myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help ID a mast!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayturcot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Help ID a mast! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently bought a mast and I'm trying to ID it to make sure the mast product as the bag.

Do you think you could help me ID the mast in this photo?
The specific question is what carbon % the North Xcellerator 60 line was. My suspicion is 60% but the seller of the mast stands firm that it is 100% (as indicated on the bag) until proven otherwise.

I'm almost certain the mast and the bag are not the same (Xcellerator 60, made in Finland vs. Xcellerator Viper 100, Made in Italy), but the seller insists that it is 100% (unless confirmed by North that this is not the case). I figured this would be give me an answer while I wait for an email back from North HQ or a North Dealer.

Jay

mast.jpg
 Description:
Photo of the mast
 Filesize:  124.94 KB
 Viewed:  20304 Time(s)

mast.jpg

mast_bag.jpg
 Description:
Photo of the mast bag info
 Filesize:  97.5 KB
 Viewed:  20304 Time(s)

mast_bag.jpg

NickB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right to be suspicious.

If you can weigh it, I doubt it'll be 1.55kg. More like 2kg.

And this is what its bag should look like: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Windsurfing/Other/auction-275810733.htm
jayturcot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Nick. And good find with that link!

I'll try weighing the mast. That being said, I'm still looking for a solid ID from somebody out there esablishing the carbon % of the Xcellerator 60.

Jay
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bag says made in Italy. Mast says made in Finland. Excel is the factory in Finland.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
haterrater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jayturcot,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you got hosed on the mast. Your suspicions are correct. The north vipers 100s that came in those bags had a silver-blue metallic looking wrapping. I'll look for details on the viper60, which I concur is most likely 60% carbon.
-h.r.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haterrater wrote:
Hi Jayturcot,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you got hosed on the mast. Your suspicions are correct. The north vipers 100s that came in those bags had a silver-blue metallic looking wrapping. I'll look for details on the viper60, which I concur is most likely 60% carbon.
-h.r.

Maybe not. How much did you pay for it??

jayturcot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had paid cash for the bag but aired my suspicion on the mast. Once I got home I did some online sleuthing which really set off my "this probably isn't 100% carbon" alarm.

The seller had no reason to believe that the mast inside the bag was different than the bag as he obtained it from a friend (pro) back in the day who would have all top of the line gear. He's already agreed to take the mast back if it did turn out to not be 100%.

A local shop owner (North dealer) also confirmed that the Xcellerator 60's were 60% while the Vipers went up to 100% and were indeed top of the line masts.
Edit: Haterrater, thanks for the tip on the silver metallic appearance of the Viper lineup.

iWindsurf forums rock.

Edit2: Got my money back! Thanks again guys!

Last edited by jayturcot on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my mast made in Italy for years and the mast in the picture is not Italy made as John said a 60 % Finnland made mast.

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayturcot wrote:
I had paid cash for the bag but aired my suspicion on the mast. Once I got home I did some online sleuthing which really set off my "this probably isn't 100% carbon" alarm.

The seller had no reason to believe that the mast inside the bag was different than the bag as he obtained it from a friend (pro) back in the day who would have all top of the line gear. He's already agreed to take the mast back if it did turn out to not be 100%.

A local shop owner (North dealer) also confirmed that the Xcellerator 60's were 60% while the Vipers went up to 100% and were indeed top of the line masts.
Edit: Haterrater, thanks for the tip on the silver metallic appearance of the Viper lineup.

iWindsurf forums rock.

Edit2: Got my money back! Thanks again guys!

Maybe you can get a deal on the 100% carbon Viper inside the Xcellerator 60 bag....

Very Happy

FWIW: there's a 430 100% Viper Wave at the bottom of the ocean near Democrat Point, Long Island. It was a nice mast.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: