myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Refurbishing Mistral Superlights...need some suggestions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

va12 wrote:
I live in Miami. If I have to wear booties, I don't go sailing. I'll leave the booties to you hardcore Yankees.

SNIP.

Fare enough, but you probably already know that there are plenty of booties that are designed specifically for warm water. If you plan to rail your board, sailing in bare feet is an all or nothing proposition. Your feet will either stick to the deck or not. Booties will allow you to move your feet and always stick. That makes a big difference in the amount of discomfort.

That said, I use booties only when necessary.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

va12 wrote:
My limited communication with Mistral on this is that there are few folks around who know much about the old boards, which is why I turned to this forum. I'm hoping someone who was a real expert on the Superlights will come along to pitch in.

You can talk to Tinho Dornellas at Calema Windsurfing. www.calema.com He knows a lot about the Superlight.
va12

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Dan, I'll try to get in touch with him.

On the booties - I hope it was clear that I was attempting humor about wearing booties down here. I appreciate the suggestion. Somehow, I've always hated wearing any sort of footwear while in the water. I suppose I'm spoiled, having always been in warm water. Even on "cold" days when full suits come out, the feet stay bare.
pyronc

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Superlight Reply with quote

I've never posted here before, but felt compelled to in this case. Ever since I discovered the Superlight 25 years ago, I've always had one in my quiver of boards. For cruising in sub-planing conditions they are awesome. They are not rotomolded, and do not have a seam. In fact, they have an epoxy skin, which is rather delicate, as you will find out the first time you drop a boom on the board. After damaging the original finbox with the spring loaded fin or simply for better performance, a lot of folks will mount a standard fin. Personally, I'm love the spring-loaded fin - I can do stuff like sail over sand bars in 5 inches of water, for instance. Nobody here seems to know about the "vent plugs", but here's the scoop - some early boards had a tether running from the mast base to the eye at the bow, should the rig pop out, as it easily can in this mast foot design - these "plugs" were merely to locate and secure this line. As a side note on the bootie question, I have met so many people whose bias against booties I can only describe as quasi-religious in nature - it tickles me a little. Practically, I think, it's mostly about what you're used to. I know that I'm very much the odd man out, but I have always worn booties, and I always wear booties, and I don't feel right without them. Cheers, Chris.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, the leash plug was a requirement in Germany, I think, so almost all the boards from the early 1980s had one. I know Mistral continued to use these until a few years ago -maybe they still do. The leash plug is mounted on the bow, farther forward than the fitting in question. You can see the two fittings in the photo.

I'm totally with you on the Superlight's fin. What it lacks in performance it really makes up for in versatility and fun. I keep a Superlight in my garage for tons of old school fun. I've pulled it out and raced against modern longboards in light wind. Railing the board to windward and hanging down from the boom points the Superlight much higher than the huge planing longboards. On short courses, it's easy to be first to the top mark but not so easy to defend against 11.0 sails on the downwind with the original Regatta sail (something like a 6.3).
va12

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for chiming in, Chris. What I was describing as the "seam" is the sharp edge on the rail. I always assumed it was a seam of some sort.

Today I took the oldest of my superlights and sanded it down top and bottom, found some small dings and some old ones that hadn't been repaired perfectly, filled them all with epoxy. A bit more patching next weekend and it will get a spray on paint job.

As to the rig leash - the system on the superlight was perfectly simple. There are two "ports" for the mast foot. The leash plug goes into the one you're not using for the mast.

This does not explain the "vent" as seen in that picture I posted. Interestingly, the old board I worked on today (original series with non-retractable daggerboard) does not have the vents.

And speaking of the retractable fins (which I also love and will keep until they break), the one on this old board is so small as to be laughable. It may get replaced with a powerbox someday.
va12

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I got some samples of EVA deck foam from North Shore, and this stuff is the cat's meow. Much grippier than anything I've ever seen, and obviously more comfortable. Not cheap, but I'm thinking it'll be worth it. Gonna start off with one board and see how it goes.

Board #2 got a good sanding today. Bad news - I found several repaired dings that I was unaware of when I bought it. Whoever fixed it up did a good job of both patching & painting it. But I felt compelled to sand it down and lay a light layer of cloth & glass over the patches. This one will definitely get an EVA pad.

Refurbishing boards is good stress relief. A few hours of scraping and sanding is good meditation.
va12

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am also designing some systems in my head for putting a standard mast foot on these. I have a machinist friend...if I can come up with the right design, it can be done.

This is probably overkill. I have four standard mast foot inserts for them.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

va12 wrote:
Am also designing some systems in my head for putting a standard mast foot on these. I have a machinist friend...if I can come up with the right design, it can be done.

This is probably overkill. I have four standard mast foot inserts for them.

Contact Tinho Dornellas at Calema in FL. He had some all aluminum mast feet made for the Superlight. You can mount any bolt or pin you wish on the top. I bought one and it rocks. Save the machining costs, buy one from Tinho.
va12

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to hm this past week, he didn't mention it.

The board I spent the most time on today has what I believe to be one of those bases. Very nice indeed, but something that would allow the use of a standard foot would be superior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: