myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Refurbishing Mistral Superlights...need some suggestions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
va12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the question of the "vents."

These are not leash cups. There are two of them, one near the nose and one just forward of the mast base holes. The caps on them are threaded. When you remove it, there's nothing but a small, threaded hole about 3/8" wide and 1" deep going into the foam. The old board does not have them, the two modern ones do.

Here's a picture of one found on another website. One of my boards is exactly this model. I'm referring to that cap aft of the graphics and ahead of the official Mistral badge.

[/img]
NickB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

va12 wrote:
Is there a standard epoxy already mixed up to use for filling, or should I get a small RAKA kit with some ballons to mix in?

Hi VA,

I just used http://www.solarez.com/productsnew/g_epoxy.htm and it seems to work well. It's a photo-curing epoxy resin with some fiber mixed in already.

Application was easy: work in shade, put just enough liquid to fill ding, cover/flatten with a piece of plastic wrap, expose to sun-light for 5 minutes, remove plastic wrap, sand lightly with the provided pad, and you're done.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

va12 wrote:
Back to the question of the "vents."

These are not leash cups. There are two of them, one near the nose and one just forward of the mast base holes. The caps on them are threaded. When you remove it, there's nothing but a small, threaded hole about 3/8" wide and 1" deep going into the foam. The old board does not have them, the two modern ones do.

Here's a picture of one found on another website. One of my boards is exactly this model. I'm referring to that cap aft of the graphics and ahead of the official Mistral badge.

[/img]

I believe these are the filler holes where the foam was injected into the mold. Remember, Superlights are blow-molded hulls distinct from the modern shaped-styro blank over which is laminated the skin.
va12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be any reason to fill or not fill those holes? Permanently, I mean.

Time, materials, and budget permitting, I'd like to get the two newer boards into primo racing trim for long cruises around the bay. Already have two new racing daggerboards. Ideally, these will be sanded down, painted, and coated with non-skid all the way to the seams. (The better for to ride on the windward rail while cruising upwind.)
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't advise on filling the holes other than to say that you can't use polyester resin as it will dissolve the styrene core.

Non-skid to the rails is super slow. I highly suggest wearing booties when sailing the superlight or any other board that you rail upwind. The grip you get from booties is way better than bare feet anyway.
va12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Miami. If I have to wear booties, I don't go sailing. I'll leave the booties to you hardcore Yankees.

Maybe some light non-skid down to the rails, or maybe just in the 3-4 foot long area one stands on when cruising upwind.

Besides, I'm building my own fleet. If they all have the same disadvantage of non-skid down to the seams, we're good to go.

Last edited by va12 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that a thermoformed board would have vent plugs. You did indicate that the boards have seams on the rails, right?

Still though, assuming that the plugs are there and that you have verified seeing the foam core of the boards, vent plugs usually have o-rings of some kind to create a waterproof seal. Do your boards have the necessary o-rings, either on the plugs or in conjunction with the threaded female receptacle?
va12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very definite seams.

O-rings or a soft sealant is what occurred to me originally, but if I get to go whole-hog on the refurb, I may want to cover them completely. Unless, of course, there's some reason not to.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are no o-rings, the vent plug scene is quite sketchy in my view. I'd consider laminating over them to eliminate a weak link, but it might be worth contacting Mistral before doing the work just to get their opinion. One wonders though whether the current folks at Mistral will have pertinent data on such relics from a different era.
va12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My limited communication with Mistral on this is that there are few folks around who know much about the old boards, which is why I turned to this forum. I'm hoping someone who was a real expert on the Superlights will come along to pitch in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: