myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Can't get a job with a police record?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Can't get a job with a police record? Reply with quote

The latest liberal talking point, these poor disenfranchised youth in B'more get arrested for some minor drug possession and now because of this they can't get a job so are forced to resort to a life of crime. So now obummer is working on someway to clear all their records so they can become productive members of society. HAHA!
I work construction and most of the people I work with have a record, in fact one large plumbing firm I worked for hired nearly all excons, the owner knew a Parole Officer.
This is such rubbish, these people are criminals because they don't want to work not because they are forced into it, they choose crime over work. As if their records were only cleared they could get a little job and work their way up, give up gang bangin', pimpin' and dealin', go to night school and eventually get a suit job, absurd.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks seem to think that we should not be accountable for the consequences of our behavior. Granted, teenagers typically make lots of stupid decisions, not really considering the possible outcomes. That's a given, and I think there should be some consideration/leniency given for many of these kids. The issue is where the line is drawn for actions that may or may not be forgiven, and I guess this varies greatly between states, counties, cities and judges.

What I don't want to see is a broad brush solution from Washington, which may seem like a fair and simple solution. The reality is that there are too many variables and that each court should have the leeway to make what they think are fair and appropriate resolutions for kids convicted of crimes.

One thing for sure is that multiple convictions should close the door for any hope of cleansing one's record.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps one should think back to our own lives, and reflect how close to the line we been to getting busted for something we did. How different your life could have been if fate didn't treat you well at the time.

techno900 is right, teenagers can often make the wrong decisions, and they really don't consider the outcomes. Maybe it was his role in teaching and education that gives him a softer view of a possible second chance.

In the US, prisons and detention facilities are a growing business, and its alarming how quickly things have escalated and now are busting at the seams. Hey, it's our tax dollars, so we're paying the bill. Having an education system that is failing us, and getting tough on crime has it's consequences. It's hard to take a one sided view of things.

What happens to the person convicted of a crime once they've served their time? Of course, a lot depends on the crimes committed, but aren't there convicts that should be considered for a second chance? Maybe the creation of a national service core much like the military, yet more community oriented that could open the doors to skills growth and character development. Even if such a program nets 20-25% success rate in re-introducing folks into a responsible and productive lifestyle, it would be a significant improvement over the way things are going right now. Remember, its our tax dollars that are paving the way one way or the other.
guxycewewe-9431

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a recent study that found that a conservative estimate is that 10000 innocent people end up in prison every year. As you say, people are convicted on weak evidence where the prosecutors who are more interested in a win than in justice manage to convince a jury of a person's guilt. And unless you're wealthy or a celebrity there is nothing you or your family can do. Laws are unfairly applied. 1 in every 35 Americans is either in prison, on probation or on parole and 1 in every 148 men is on a sex offender registry. It is beyond time to do something about this.
Working for admission essay writing service
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: