myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The obstructionist party, GOP, being flushed out? Healthcare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
This is an absolute scandal!! The top 1% receive 17% of deductions!!

"The Top 1 Percent Of Americans Will Pay 30 Percent Of The Nation's Federal Taxes In 2013: Report"

A fallacy in argument. You are conflating the comparison of an absolute value, dollars paid, with a proportion, percentages.

While it may be true that the top 1% pay 30% of the taxes (which is a dollar value), the real question is: What percentage of their income do they pay in taxes?

You are either too dumb to understand the difference or you believe your audience is too dumb to recognize the fallacy of your argument.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe pretends that there is a fine distinction made in the righteous wing of the Republican Party between their hatred of immigrants and their hatred of illegal immigrants. He also pretends that the conclusions of the Harvard study for immigrants means that all of the net income is coming from legal immigrants, in this screed:

Quote:
it referenced immigrants, not illegal immigrants. No-one here has "blamed the fiscal problems of the State and Federal governments on immigrants." as suggested by the wrestling champ. Another work of fiction.

I'll leave mrgybe to discover some of Bard's more hysterical comments about the costs of immigrants--but challenge him to actually read some non-fiction sources. You might start with Jeff Sessions:

Quote:
Yesterday, the Senate Gang of 8 introduced its long-awaited bipartisan immigration bill. Tomorrow, the Senate Judiciary Committee will hold its first hearing on the bill, with Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano. The hearing will probably double as our first chance to see the anti-immigrant “Gang of Hate” in action on the Senate bill. And the leader of that gang will be Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL).

Sessions has extremely close relations with the John Tanton network of anti-immigrant groups: the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS), NumbersUSA and the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR.) The Southern Poverty Law Center, which is based in Sessions’ home state of Alabama, has long designated FAIR as a hate group. Last August, SPLC wrote a post titled, How Do We Know FAIR is a Hate Group? Let Us Count the Ways:

The bottom line is, FAIR doesn’t peddle facts; it peddles hate. Its lobbying and legal efforts – such as the campaign that led to Arizona’s SB 1070 and Alabama’s HB 56 – are based on fomenting fear, on exploiting racial tensions and economic anxieties to convince people that they had better not let any more “aliens” into their country.

FAIR founder John Tanton, a man with a lengthy record of friendly correspondence with Holocaust deniers, a former Klan lawyer and leading white nationalist thinkers, has repeatedly suggested that racial conflict will be the outcome of immigration. In 1998, he told a reporter that whites would inevitably develop a racial consciousness because “most people don’t want to disappear into the dustbin of history,” and added that once whites did become racially conscious, the result would be “the war of each against all.”

Dan Stein, FAIR’s president, is no better. “Immigrants don’t come all church-loving, freedom-loving, God-fearing,” he said in 1997. “Many of them hate America, hate everything that the United States stands for. Talk to some of these Central Americans.”

Jeff Sessions is very tight with FAIR, CIS and NumbersUSA. The groups have given him awards. Over the years, he has repeatedly quoted their so-called “studies” and often shows up at their events, like FAIR’s “Feet to the Fire” radio row. NumbersUSA was gleeful when Sessions ascended to a leading role in the Senate Judiciary Committee back in 2009, calling him “the No. 1 champion for the American workers on immigration issues.” Last year, Sessions entered a statement into the Congressional Record congratulating NumbersUSA for its fifteen years of existence. Put this all together and one thing becomes clear: Sessions is the top dog in Congress when it comes to fighting immigration reform, and he does it hand in hand with groups like FAIR and NumbersUSA.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To our non-windsurfing poster.......from the same referenced article, which apparently was too complex for him to comprehend.

Top 1%..............average tax rate 35.5%

Top 20%............average tax rate 27.7%

Bottom 20%......MINUS 2.7%

A question for the ages...........why is that the least accomplished among us are so willing to characterize others as "dumb"?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question for the ages.........I'm an immigrant, my wife is an immigrant, my children are immigrants, my son-in-law is an immigrant, Bard's wife (if I understand correctly) is an immigrant...........yet someone who has spent his entire life tucked away in a little North West bubble accuses us of hating immigrants? Does that make sense to anyone else?
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now mrygybe says: Pay no attention to that that man Jeff Sessions says. Pay no attention to what that man Tom Tancredo says. Pay no attention to my posting of the video about "Obama phones." Pay no attention to my political support, without dissenting views, of these vile folks. I bear no animus to people of color, just illegal immigrants. The fact that they, and the President, are people of color, is just a coincidence.

The Wizard of Oz famously said, Pay no attention to the man in the corner behind the screen. To the Wizard of ooze? Tell it to someone who still believes in Wizards and fairy tales.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two strength training partners, who I have trained with two to three times a week, about three weeks a month, for the past 6 years or so, will be amused to hear I'm a racist. I see them simply as Chris and Ed, my good friends. Our racial divider, Bruiser, would see them as black. Chris and Ed are smart, confident guys..........they would find Bruiser pathetic too.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Another question for the ages.........I'm an immigrant, my wife is an immigrant, my children are immigrants, my son-in-law is an immigrant, Bard's wife (if I understand correctly) is an immigrant...........yet someone who has spent his entire life tucked away in a little North West bubble accuses us of hating immigrants? Does that make sense to anyone else?

Aren't we ALL immigrants or of immigrant stock, except the native Americans? What makes you so special?
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:

A question for the ages...........why is that the least accomplished among us are so willing to characterize others as "dumb"?

It's a shell game, Mr. G. Maybe you don't realize it.

The tax rate on the wealthy is around 35% for their earned income, and about 15% for their capital gains (investment income).

The top 1%, generally speaking, do NOT work for their money... it comes as interest on or appreciation of their investments (ala Mitt Romney, who said he paid about 14%).

Warren Buffet said much the same thing.

So, various articles can make factually true claims that are nonetheless deceiving. Yes, the income tax rate for earned income for the top 1% is 35% -- but those people rarely earn money by working. You and I pay around 25% while Mitt pays 14-15%.

nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

LOL--the citation free knuckledragger from the Central Coast, NW turdy, complains about bias in my citations. Reuters is certainly a left-wing toady, eh Bircher Boy?

LOL, there it is again "knuckledragger...Bircher Boy", you are one classy dude, probably had to go thru some higher education to get that brilliant.

I'll try to continue to quote your awesomeness whenever you use it to illustrate to whoever, just how brilliant you are.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you talk about race these days, we all know there are different views about it. All the focus on the latest Cheerio ad has given us a present picture about race and intermarriage. Apparently 9400 folks were thumbs up with the ad, whereas 900 were thumbs down. It the 900 folks that can be so problematic. They stand out as being uncomfortable with racial issues, and unfortunately some have ugly ways of voicing it. Like it or not, they're still out there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2013/05/31/backlash-greets-cheerios-ad-with-interracial-family/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92  Next
Page 88 of 92

Jump to: