myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where in Florida for wind junkie?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to slam others, just observations from a traveling salesman doing my job throughout FL. Jupiter has great wave sailing when the tide, wind and schedule is right. Same about wind and schedule with FT Pierce. The further S one goes the more angles of swell get blocked by the Bahama Bank. When Jupiter fires, it is awesome. Methinks Ft Pierce may get more swell, and Daytona to Playalinda the most.

Strangest swell I've ever encountered was a huge plateau like one when I was finished with business down in Boca Raton. Shore pounds were wicked to boot. I suspected that the hurricane waves had broken far out and reformed. Huge blocks of water were making the trough the smallest feature, like little dents almost. The peaks were massive flat sections. I think the B. Bank may chopped these puppies down from whatever size, I dunno. The surf was a very rare mast high. Boca is not a good option....

As far as wind, Jupiter has gotten a sea breeze far more than we have up here in the past few years. Is that always true? Doubtful. Come to FL, by all means. The most varied options locally, for water types is Brevard. FT Pierce second, and Jupiter's wonderful sand bar that's like a reef is a very very good one trick pony. If the tide was right more often, and swell very common, I'd try to move there.

What ever you decide, the Atlantic coast from Juno to Daytona is very good. If yo are willing to drive a bit, you can experience all our fine spots.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong, but two foot waves aren't my idea of wave sailing conditions. However, I agree that Sebastian would be your best bet for a housing purchase near good Florida sailing. You could probably be able to buy an unfinished condo complex, the complete thing on the Indian River, for the price of a house in S.F. Nevertheless, the winds aren't what you find in the bay area. Yesterday I sailed down at the Wabasso Causeway again with Jerry, the Canadian. This kind of day occurs once every two weeks as a rule. We launched at the north side. It was gusty with long lulls and an 8.0 with Formula board was my choice of equipment. Jerry at 167 lbs was using a 5.7 and short board. he actually was matched better than I for equipment. I had the right sail, but the Formula board was difficult in the chop that usually results from North winds there. The 8.0 conditions remain on the the cusp of those for this board. Nevertheless, I had a good time. I have discovered that the middle back strap, although rather misplaced for normal sailing, serves very well on broad reaches. With the chop, it feels rather impossible to make it into the back straps on the rail. However, I did sense the optimal dynamic of the board, that which results from foot placement in both outside straps. I did wish that I had at least one of the boards I left behind on Cape Cod. They would have served me better.

Last edited by sailingjoe on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but two foot waves aren't my idea of wave sailing conditions. SNIP

Ok, you are wrong. Two foot waves are your idea of good wave sailing conditions. Shocked

Two foot waves means a four to five foot face. I'm pretty sure that you lack down the line wave sailing experience, but even a wave sailing expert would not dismiss four to five foot faces as something other than "wave sailing conditions."

Here's a video of 1-2 foot wavesailing. Enjoy.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but two foot waves aren't my idea of wave sailing conditions. However, I agree that Sebastian would be your best bet for a housing purchase near good Florida sailing. You could probably be able to buy an unfinished condo complex, the complete thing on the Indian River, for the price of a house in S.F. Nevertheless, the winds aren't what you find in the bay area. Yesterday I sailed down at the Wabasso Causeway again with Jerry, the Canadian. We launched at the north side. It was gusty with long lulls and an 8.0 with Formula board was my choice of equipment. Jerry at 167 lbs was using a 5.7 and short board. he actually was matched better than I for equipment. I had the right sail, but the Formula board was difficult in the chop that usually results from North winds there. The 8.0 conditions remain on the the cusp of those for this board. Nevertheless, I had a good time. I have discovered that the middle back strap, although rather misplaced for normal sailing, serves very well on broad reaches. With the chop, it feels rather impossible to make it into the back straps on the rail. However, I did sense the optimal dynamic of the board, that which results from foot placement in both outside straps. I did wish that I had at least one of the boards I left behind on Cape Cod. They would have served me better.

Gosh, Brucie, you're right. You never, ever, give us a rambling, pointless personal narrative.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the sharkiest spot in the world as far as attacks is Ponce Inlet, FL. That's right, S of Daytona, and N of New Smyrna FL has just under half the shark attacks per year. Sebastian may have a spot called monster hole, but Ponce Inlet is inundated with surfers and swimmers every year. More swimmers means more accidental attacks. Murky water makes sharks do trial bites. Once they taste the foulness of human they spit it out! Too many McDonald's perhaps? Phtewie! Hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, yuck! LOL.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
NEsailor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but two foot waves aren't my idea of wave sailing conditions. However, I agree that Sebastian would be your best bet for a housing purchase near good Florida sailing. You could probably be able to buy an unfinished condo complex, the complete thing on the Indian River, for the price of a house in S.F. Nevertheless, the winds aren't what you find in the bay area. Yesterday I sailed down at the Wabasso Causeway again with Jerry, the Canadian. We launched at the north side. It was gusty with long lulls and an 8.0 with Formula board was my choice of equipment. Jerry at 167 lbs was using a 5.7 and short board. he actually was matched better than I for equipment. I had the right sail, but the Formula board was difficult in the chop that usually results from North winds there. The 8.0 conditions remain on the the cusp of those for this board. Nevertheless, I had a good time. I have discovered that the middle back strap, although rather misplaced for normal sailing, serves very well on broad reaches. With the chop, it feels rather impossible to make it into the back straps on the rail. However, I did sense the optimal dynamic of the board, that which results from foot placement in both outside straps. I did wish that I had at least one of the boards I left behind on Cape Cod. They would have served me better.

Wow Brucie so you seem to insinuate here that you have places both in Florida and on the Cape in MA. We didnt know that as you never mention it. Wow that is very impressive. You must be some sort of very successful businessman to afford that.
Also tell us more about the dynamics of all your boards and how all your foot strap options work for each individual board. We all find that stuff so interesting and important.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEsailor wrote:
You must be some sort of very successful businessman to afford that.

Brucie truly *is* a tycoon.

In fact, there used to be a very smart guy here named "tycoonguy."

Whatever became of him? He always offered the best advice. The guy was brilliant. Don't know how we made it this far without his sage counsel.
Number-nine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
. I did wish that I had at least one of the boards I left behind on Cape Cod. They would have served me better.

Scratchynuts you forgot the 2nd rule of windsurfing bring all of your gear all the time.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterkimball, glad to see that you have joined the ranks of the idiots on this forum. The rule is bring all the equipment you are able to bring.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
The rule is bring all the equipment you are able to bring.

A rule not unlike bringing all the brains you are able to bring. You can handle that easily, Brucie -- you need only a pair of tweezers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: