myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was raining here today R.R. The rain was cold. No change there then!

I was up 'ont moors on mountain bike and you don't meet gorillas up there. (Or bronzed youths either, at this time of year.) But I did enjoy falling off and getting a gob full of real Yorkshire mud!
mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look, you can actually get journalism from a publication that attempts to educate you, not brainwash you:

Quote:
Has Global Warming Paused?
Climate scientists know the answer is no, but have trouble communicating that

By Stephanie Paige Ogburn and ClimateWire

Mission Beach, San Diego, California

The depths of the Pacific Ocean, seen here at a San Diego beach, may contain some of the "missing" heat.

In a recent edition of NASA's "Ask a Climate Scientist" video series, scientist Joshua Willis stands in front of a black screen, makes a few goofy faces and gives a brief answer to what has become a common question about climate science.

"A lot of people ask me: 'Has there been a pause in global warming because, like, temperatures aren't increasing as fast as they were a decade ago?'" Willis says.

"And I always say, you know, paws are for kittens and puppies, because global warming is definitely still increasing," Willis continues, smiling at his wordplay, as graphics of cute baby animals fill the screen.

It's true that Willis and nearly every other climate scientist dismiss the idea that global warming has paused. Yet the fact remains that average surface temperatures worldwide have not increased since around the turn of the century.

To the casual observer, the lack of warming at the Earth's surface, contrasted to climate scientists' insistence that the planet is still warming, might seem like a conundrum.

As scientists like Willis explain, though, most of the extra heat trapped by greenhouse gases does not warm the Earth's surface anyway.

Why do rising sea levels ignore the pause?
"Over 90 percent of the heat that we trap ... is warming the oceans," Willis said.

So as a measure of global warming, surface temperatures are not a good yardstick, because the atmosphere can only hold a small percentage of the heat that is trapped, he said.

Rather, the oceans should be the primary barometer of global climate change.

And they are certainly changing. Sea levels are going up "like gangbusters," Willis said.

The recent Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change physical science draft report, released in late September, said it is a near certainty that rates of sea-level rise -- pushed up largely because warmer water expands -- have accelerated over the last two centuries.

The IPCC also reported it was very likely that rates of sea-level rise from 1993 to 2010 had almost doubled, from a 0.067-inch-per-year average rate for the 20th century to a 0.125-inch-per-year average rate.

To Willis and other scientists, this is a clear signal that global warming continues.

"Sea levels are still rising; the ice sheets are still melting; the oceans are still getting more acidic," Willis said. "All of that stuff is still going on just as it has, unabated."

If the heat continues to rise, where is it?
Even if they don't think global warming has paused, scientists are still interested in learning why the rate of surface warming over the last 10 to 15 years has been much slower than in the decades before, even as levels of greenhouse gases continue to increase.

If the Earth is still storing extra heat and that heat is not going into the atmosphere, it must be going somewhere else. Determining where the heat is going could lead to a better understanding of the Earth's climate system, they say.

One of the first researchers to address this question was Kevin Trenberth, a climate scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research.

In 2011, Trenberth was a co-author on a paper published in Nature Climate Change that used models to show that pauses in surface temperature warming correspond to additional heat being stored deep in the ocean, below where most of our existing sensors typically measure.

Since then, Trenberth has published additional research (ClimateWire, April Cool showing that more than 30 percent of the warming in the oceans has occurred at depths below about 2,300 feet. He and his co-authors link this change to shifts in winds, especially in the Pacific Ocean, related to decadal weather patterns in the Pacific.

Page 1 of a three page article. I know, too long for trolls to read, but for the rest...http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=has-global-warming-paused

I know that NW will be disappointed that it was funded by the Koch brothers. Theirs is the only stuff he believes. I didn't say understand, don't get me wrong. Belief shuts out doubt and understanding.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that does it, I'm now going to have to place my head between my hands and run round in circles screaming "no, no, no!!!"

Or not. Wink
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Yep, that does it, I'm now going to have to place my head between my hands and run round in circles screaming "no, no, no!!!"

Or not. Wink
wow what a great reply. good thing there are people like you on the far right, that have such great analytical skills as demonstrated here. I bet you even made it to the bottom of your class like Bush did. What he was bottom 1 to 10%. yet it is amazing Bush was the bottom but to become a pilot you needed to be tops and he jumped over all the other more qualified.

Gee wasn't McLiar McCain that way too. there seems to be a pattern of un-knowledge and using sugar daddys to get anywhere. By any chance is that your MO too.

mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to topic. Let's hope that it will cause NW to run around in circles saying "The sky is not falling!"

News today that the investments in wind energy has brought the costs of wind turbines down nearly 20%. That means that coal power costs $78.30/megawatt-hour, compared to $82.61 for wind power. I'll do the math for the righties--that's a 5% cost difference. Eliminate the subsidies for developing coal on publicly owned land and institute a 5% carbon tax and renewals are superior.

Turns out the energy folks under Obama were right about green investments. Turns out the liars working for the Kochs were just lying.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of it, Mac, Solar is on fire...Which makes sense because it no longer rains in California, ever....or snows Sad
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a solar concentrating trough configuration outside of Boulder City NV where I use to live. It took about 2 years from start to get the permits and finish the project. It at the time was the largest in the world. Made by a spanish company.

Others that were later in process were Az and Fl.

I took their numbers still small scale production and nothing magic about these systems they are a trough of mirrors reflecting the light on a pipe and then create steam to run a generator.

anyway I took without discounting for making these in mass production or any other discounting the costs for the newer ones and if we took the money for the iraq war only money at present estimates of 1 trillion not the 2-3 trillion estimated for a lifetime of other benefits to the vets.

So again if you just used 1 trillion, and put it into manufacturing of these trough systems, every american family/household would have free electric energy for the next 30-100 years. and we could charge business for the reoccurring maintenance with the extra. Or give them a discount to make american products more competitive to offset the high cost all products are burdened with because of the most expensive healthcare system in the world by on average double and out most expensive military in the world that is more than the top what is it 30 nations in the world spend.

pueno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken Little wrote:

Or not. Wink

Or....

...you could run around in circles screaming, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Or not. Wink

boggsman1 wrote:
On top of it, Mac, Solar is on fire...Which makes sense because it no longer rains in California, ever....or snows Sad

But what happens if the Sun goes out and the sky falls in?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:

Mama said there'd be years like this...Good thing the Pacific is winding up huge storms right now. Surf looks to be epic over the next 10 days. Could be storms to follow next month.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Surf looks to be epic over the next 10 days. Could be storms to follow next month.

Which, of course, has NOTHING to do with increased thermal energy in the atmosphere. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 249 of 573

Jump to: