myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 221, 222, 223 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/record-arctic-ice-growth-in-2012-2013/

Sorry GT, you're going to freeze your a$$ off this winter.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know Steven. It'll be our fifth successive severe winter, and perhaps the shape of things to come. (For us.) In 2007, the B.B.C. were trumpeting the warming cause by insisting that by the year 2013, the Arctic would be free of ice! (The extreme end of the range of global warming predictions, it being the B.B.C. religion.)

What I now notice is the way many previously convinced (of continual warming) climatologists are now shifting ground (covering their asses) by questioning whether there really is such a distinct difference between what's scathingly referred to as merely weather, and climate? The mantra of 'teasing out' long term trends from the noise has always struck me as dubious. (A bit like political spin.)

What is certain, is that there are wildly contradicting events in different world areas. While some of us are seemingly stuck in a cooling cycle, others (C.B.) can remark that the mountains are now free of snow caps, and his solar cell array is so excitable at all the extra sunshine, that it is enthusiastically blowing all his household electrical appliances!
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT...yes, no doubt there are climatic cycles. The real question is what the base line on the cyclic graph looks like. If it is flat, great! If it is on a slope due to ongoing effects of carbon, look out when the cycle goes the other way.

Our peaks are snow free because of human activity that is a result of poor ranching practices hundreds of mile away...not climate change. Human activity nonetheless.

My solar array is a touchy subject here...best to not discuss it.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--another unreliable source. Do you ever read anything that doesn't come from the Drudge wing of the knuckledragger party?
mac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one rebuttal for the Heartland Institute, bought and paid for by carbon producers, science:

http://deepclimate.org/tag/steven-goddard/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone at Nasa has been using photo shop again???

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/09/09/arctic-sea-ice-up-60-percent-in-2013/
mac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox news and science is the ultimate oxymoron. Meanwhile, for you California deniers, you are now down to 11% of the population. Fringe with a tin hat on top:

Quote:
September 10 2013 | Research Reports Climate Change in the Californian Mind

Highlights:

Most Californians (79%) believe global warming is happening, while only 11% believe it is not.
Over half (58%) believe that if global warming is happening, it is mostly due to human activities.
A majority (55%) also believes that most scientists think global warming is happening.
Of those who believe global warming is happening, large majorities say that:

Global warming is already having an influence on the severity of heat waves (96%), wildfires (91%), and droughts (90%) in California.
Over the next 50 years, climate change will cause more heat waves (93%), droughts and water shortages (92%), declining numbers of fish and native wildlife (91%), increased allergies, asthma, infectious diseases, or other health problems (86%), and more power outages (84%) in the state.
The study also found that Californians support more climate action:

Six in ten want more action by Governor Brown, the state legislature, and local government officials.
Even more say corporations and industry (73%) and citizens themselves (70%) should be doing more to address the issue.

GT--the hardest course I took in graduate school was numerical methods. Your comment that it isn't possible to look for trends in data seems pretty illogical for an educator.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Someone at Nasa has been using photo shop again???

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/09/09/arctic-sea-ice-up-60-percent-in-2013/

Of course, deception or image manipulation would never happen at Fox for partisan political purposes.

Right?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac. .... I didn't say (or mean) that teasing facts was impossible. I implied that such an approach is too open to manipulation of conclusions, depending on WHAT 'facts' are chosen to 'tease out', and which to ignore or suppress! That is the political stock in trade, and 'global warmers' have been just as guilty of following suit in the recent past, to 'push' their agenda. Is it any wonder that the generasl public have turned sceptical?

IF we have now entered a period absolute honesty and integrity of research and claims, and there are some signs of that, I would certainly accept their findings. My problem is that too many 'warmers' have so committed themselves, and their reputations, to a one way path that they can't be seen to modify their past flawed claims. They are still insisting that the Arctic ice will disappear. Others, who also do research, are saying it will thicken. They can't both be correct.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. .... Sorry for being mischievous, and mentioning Judith Curry.

I'm quite aware that she has a few 'bats in her belfrey' but couldn't resist the annoyance factor! (I learnt that in teaching.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 221, 222, 223 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 222 of 573

Jump to: