myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 509, 510, 511 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
The new VW ID Buzz, a Van -all electric costs $30,000 and has 357 HP.... Electric cars will be 50% of autos on road, sooner than we think. Theres a reason XOM is $76...

Boggsy, I used to think you showed some promise.........that hope is fading. The "new" VW, probably won't be available for 5 years so you have no idea what it "costs". Who will be supplying the feedstock to all those new power stations needed to charge up your mythical 50% of electric vehicles? XOM and similar. As I have told you before (despite your protests to the contrary) oil and gas prices, and associated company stocks, are being driven by oversupply, not by falling demand. You really should be paying me for keeping you straight.

The production cost is $6000-$8000 less than the Tesla Model 3, you can do the math, hopefully. California usually leads the way when it comes to innovation, and I truly believe e-cars will be 50% ...Its amazing how many are being produced and planned as we speak. The power stations will be juiced primarily by solar here in the West.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
The production cost is $6000-$8000 less than the Tesla Model 3, you can do the math, hopefully. California usually leads the way when it comes to innovation, and I truly believe e-cars will be 50% ...Its amazing how many are being produced and planned as we speak. The power stations will be juiced primarily by solar here in the West.

Boggsy, You are embarrassing yourself. This is a concept car. You don't know what production costs will be. Neither do you know the production cost of the Tesla Model 3. Tesla has lost thousands on every car they have made to date. And once again, you look at your little California bubble, with your subsidized electric cars, and subsidized solar electricity to power them, and extrapolate that to the rest of the world. Ridiculous.

Electric passenger vehicles are about one tenth of one percent of all vehicles globally.........not including heavy goods vehicles. That will certainly increase. But 50%...........not in my lifetime. The larger the percentage, the greater the demand for coal and natural gas to provide the electricity because solar will continue to be a bit player globally. Your linkage to XOM stock price is spurious. You should know all this.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:

Boggsy, You are embarrassing yourself. This is a concept car. You don't know what production costs will be. Neither do you know the production cost of the Tesla Model 3. Tesla has lost thousands on every car they have made to date. And once again, you look at your little California bubble, with your subsidized electric cars, and subsidized solar electricity to power them, and extrapolate that to the rest of the world. Ridiculous.

Electric passenger vehicles are about one tenth of one percent of all vehicles globally.........not including heavy goods vehicles. That will certainly increase. But 50%...........not in my lifetime. The larger the percentage, the greater the demand for coal and natural gas to provide the electricity because solar will continue to be a bit player globally. Your linkage to XOM stock price is spurious. You should know all this.

Please stop with the subsidized talk, you're smarter than that. Real estate is subsidized, oil prices are subsidized, investment dollars are subsidized, almost everything in our economy is "subsidized". California is the WORLD's 8th largest economy, I wouldn't refer to it a "little bubble" , it really makes you look foolish.
Let me give you a couple thoughts I have had in the past 20 years...In the early 2000's, I thought Google was a hokey little search engine competing against bigger stronger companies. Today, its arguably the world's most valuable company.
A few years ago, I thought Uber was a joke, today its worth $80B. So, what you or I think about the future of technology or innovation is irrelevant.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A weak attempt to step away from your comments. You purport to be an expert on stocks. Your comments on the VW are speculation. Your comments on the percentage of electric vehicles are wild speculation. Your linkage of all that speculation to oil company stocks is just flat out wrong. Apart from that you nailed it.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
A weak attempt to step away from your comments. You purport to be an expert on stocks. Your comments on the VW are speculation. Your comments on the percentage of electric vehicles are wild speculation. Your linkage of all that speculation to oil company stocks is just flat out wrong. Apart from that you nailed it.

Of course they are....speculation is risk. When Travis Kalanick formed Uber, and presented to Benchmark, they were speculating. When Harold Hamm drilled wells, he was speculating. Speculation, or risk taking is the American dream... the animal spirits that keeps the US on top.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you don't seem to fully understand...........wild, groundless chatter used as the basis of an opinion on a stock, is not the same as entrepreneurial risk taking.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding electric cars: Consider the fact that electric powered cars are about 3 times more efficient than any car powered with any internal combustion engine. Grid to wheels efficiency is about 59-62% for electric. Gas and diesel, 17-21% according to the government. Once we improve the range and cost of batteries there is no way they can compete. where will we be in 20-30 years? Where were computers 30 years ago? Technology evolves rapidly.

Most of the energy produced in a gas powered car is heat, and goes out the tail pipe and radiator. The engine itself has so many moving parts that a good deal of energy is wasted due to friction. Then there are all these other complicated and costly devices needed to get the power to the wheels: transmissions, differentials, etc., all of which reduce overall efficiency. The electric car has none of these. The electric motor has one moving part. The rotor which directly powers the wheels

I hate the smell of gas! Can't wait to go electric
LHDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entertaining reading.

Back to Exxon and warming, there's a paper out by some humanities researchers at Harvard on the question whether Exxon misled investors and others about the risks of global warming to its business, which according to the newspaper article is central to a couple of recent lawsuits.

"In February, [some of Exxon Mobil's current and former employees] filed a lawsuit arguing that the company deceived them by making false and misleading statements about the financial risks of climate change, which they argue affected the value of shares they bought as part of a company-sponsored savings plan. Other Exxon Mobil shareholders are bringing similar charges against the company in a separate class-action securities fraud case."

From the failing NYTimes. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/opinion/exxon-climate-change-.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

Current and former employees seems particularly surprising. By the way, I think these lawsuits are somewhat silly since a reasonable person should have been aware of these risks to fossil fuel company stock regardless of obviously biased public company statements.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
boggsman1 wrote:
The new VW ID Buzz, a Van -all electric costs $30,000 and has 357 HP.... Electric cars will be 50% of autos on road, sooner than we think. Theres a reason XOM is $76...

As soon as the left finds out about VW's history, they won't be sold in the US and possibly "torn down" and sent to be recycled.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Volkswagen Beetle – officially the Volkswagen Type 1, informally in Germany the Käfer (German, "beetle") and in parts of the English-speaking world the Bug – is a two-door, four-passenger, rear-engine economy car that was manufactured and marketed by German automaker Volkswagen (VW) from 1938 until 2003.[11]
The need for this kind of car, and its functional objectives, was formulated by the leader of Nazi Germany, Adolf Hitler, who wanted a cheap, simple car to be mass-produced for his country's new road network. Hitler contracted Ferdinand Porsche in 1934 to design and build it.[12] Porsche and his team took until 1938 to finalise the design.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting twists and turns of history, this could just as easily be in the "racism" thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 509, 510, 511 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 510 of 573

Jump to: