myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 477, 478, 479 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have our Mozart's. Mine is Ronnie Earl. I'm surprised GT, who is so finely connected to the planet in playing vinyl and a civil gentleman as well, is so utterly unconnected to the planet in science and man's influence on it.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHDR and Bluefish

It is odd how we all look at what someone "believes" and not how someone "behaves"'

If I had to guess, GT's carbon footprint is probably one of, if not THE, lowest on this forum. He drives a 50 MPG car, no kids, doesn't jump on a plane at the drop of a hat and a significant portion of his electricity likely comes from windmills (sorry GT I had to tweak you a bit).

Unlike most of the posters on this forum, he also does have a background in science.

I have issues with forums like this where a bunch of us civilians "debate" science and somehow believe it is the same as scientific debate. As someone who was involved in a rigorous scientific evaluation of nuclear waste isolation sites, I can assure you it is nothing like the conversations we find here.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
We all have our Mozart's. Mine is Ronnie Earl. I'm surprised GT, who is so finely connected to the planet in playing vinyl and a civil gentleman as well, is so utterly unconnected to the planet in science and man's influence on it.

This so called "science" is bought and paid for by the government. No doubt we've warmed some recently, but if you study history you'll discover mini ice ages prior to the warming phase, shifting the mean.

GT gets it pretty well. Modeling this event is fraught with landmines. There are too many variables upon variables that we cannot grasp.

Warming is generally good. People die in the cold.

CB, I have an MBA. I understand modeling and statistics pretty well. Garbage in, garbage out. The government funded these models with scientists who were already leaning in the direction they wanted. This is all about taxing the poor energy consumers. These taxes wouldn't harm me in any way. I just don't like the phony science
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rest my case
real-human

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
bluefish1 wrote:

This so called "science" is bought and paid for by the government. No doubt we've warmed some recently, but if you study history you'll discover mini ice ages prior to the warming phase, shifting the mean.

GT gets it pretty well. Modeling this event is fraught with landmines. There are too many variables upon variables that we cannot grasp.

CB, I have an MBA. I understand modeling and statistics pretty well. Garbage in, garbage out. The government funded these models with scientists who were already leaning in the direction they wanted. This is all about taxing the poor energy consumers. These taxes wouldn't harm me in any way. I just don't like the phony science

speaking of garbage in garbage out trust fund daddy paid off your degree... Also, match book degrees do not count... as I said garbage in garbage out of trump university...

You know nothing about science and stats/logic. you have shown with your stupid posts that you can not think critically or have any advanced thought, you are a copy and paste fox clone obviously are nothing but a trust fund kid good old boy.

Again some day since you are responsible for the culture of lies from oil companies as an enabler I hope the world goes after yours for crimes against humanity, how many millions are you and yours responsible for killing and bribing and hiding documents of the truth...

Last edited by real-human on Sat May 13, 2017 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
bluefish1 wrote:

Malibu. The scientific community is cutthroat. My project was government funded...we all wanted it to work. I presented to a bunch of PhD's...I was working on a Phd in solid mechanics and working for a subcontractor for Sandia Labs. The guys tried to tear me a new one. I had a great job and everyone wanted it. So, I was hit from all sides, on all aspects, of my very very very very narrowly defined scope.

Every little assumption, every variable, every roundoff was scrutinized. That's peer review...the real thing.
mac

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll speak in partial defense of GT. As a geologist, he was trained to look at time series with much larger steps. And to be sure, warming and ice ages are part of that record having nothing to do with anthropogenic impacts. (But lots to do with CO2 levels.). Unfortunately, he is really cranky about the cost of energy, and I don't pretend to know enough about British climate policy to know whether his crankiness is warranted. He is neither as snarky as mrgybe, nor as dishonest, so that should give him some credit.

A healthy skepticism is a good thing in a scientist. I thought global warminng was nonsense when I first read about it in the early 1980's. But now....and those Russian scientists who have still not got a peer-reviewed paper out...

For gorgeous classical music, it is hard to beat the Cello Sonatas. Mine is with Rostropovich and Rudolph Serkin, and wonderful--even if on CD. As beautiful and moving as the late Schubert sonatas.

I cannot understand people who are satisfied with an MP3 recording on an IPOD or computer.

And Ronnie Earl is great--but so is Otis Spann, Oscar Peterson, and Ella.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't always be great, but I am a cheap date, so I can be happy just
sitting at the Double Mountain. ;*)

2 weeks,

-Craig

p.s. Snowbird still has 3 lifts open

isobars wrote:
Our long range forecast looks wetter and cooler than normal ... not conducive to the sustained windy patterns that dominated 2016. Those record 6- and 7-day blasts of last year established a high bar we can only dream of.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new fascism....

New York Times publisher Arthur O. Sulzberger Jr. is making a personal appeal to subscribers who canceled because the paper hired Bret Stephens, a conservative columnist who has questioned some of the science behind the theory of climate change and the dangers it poses.

In an email sent Friday afternoon and obtained by POLITICO, Sulzberger addresses subscribers who specifically mentioned the hiring of Stephens as a reason that they ended their subscriptions.

“Our customer care team shared with me that your reason for unsubscribing from The New York Times included our decision to hire Bret Stephens as an Opinion columnist. I wanted to provide a bit more context,” the email begins.

Stephens, who left The Wall Street Journal to join the Times, is also well known as a Pulitzer Prize-winning conservative writer who has written strongly against President Donald Trump, often engaging in public battles during the campaign with the likes of Fox News anchor Sean Hannity. His first column for the Times last month argued that climate data create the misleading impression that we know what global warming’s impact will be, leading to reader complaints, some canceled subscriptions and a public editor column.
real-human

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
The new fascism....

New York Times publisher Arthur O. Sulzberger Jr. is making a personal appeal to subscribers who canceled because the paper hired Bret Stephens, a conservative columnist who has questioned some of the science behind the theory of climate change and the dangers it poses.

In an email sent Friday afternoon and obtained by POLITICO, Sulzberger addresses subscribers who specifically mentioned the hiring of Stephens as a reason that they ended their subscriptions.

“Our customer care team shared with me that your reason for unsubscribing from The New York Times included our decision to hire Bret Stephens as an Opinion columnist. I wanted to provide a bit more context,” the email begins.

Stephens, who left The Wall Street Journal to join the Times, is also well known as a Pulitzer Prize-winning conservative writer who has written strongly against President Donald Trump, often engaging in public battles during the campaign with the likes of Fox News anchor Sean Hannity. His first column for the Times last month argued that climate data create the misleading impression that we know what global warming’s impact will be, leading to reader complaints, some canceled subscriptions and a public editor column.

ya with all branches of government controlled by right wingers we need more right wingers opinions. That's what we are missing in the no liberal media. Even NBC is replacing the moderates and the liberals with Fox idiots. Ya who would want to work at the rapist networks fox who right wingers love.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 477, 478, 479 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 478 of 573

Jump to: