myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 476, 477, 478 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wisdom in these young folk. Lets see some old geezer build one of these.

https://lilium.com
mac

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Take heart, GT!!..........some things never change. First, a comment that starts "with all due respect" will inevitably end up insulting the addressee's intelligence. Second, as always, younger people have brash confidence they know more than their older counterparts.........until they get older. Third, many assume that government bureaucrats flying first class into massive unproductive gatherings have the answers.........the same bureaucrats that boldly told us diesel engines are answer, and wood burning stoves, and windmills, and ethanol, and MTBE and stopping dredging...........right up to the moment those bureaucrats tell us that the things they promoted are in fact making things worse, and it's our fault.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Imagine that, another snarky posting from mrgybe that avoids any discussion of the substance. When the facts support your viewpoint, argue the facts. When the facts don't support your viewpoint--go for snark.

Critical thinking? Weight of evidence? Science?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisdom in young folk?? Ingenuity and cleverness certainly, but wisdom! (Wasn't arrogance the point I was attempting to make! Been there -done that!)

As for us oldie dinosaurs, well a branch of their species, some 100 million years ago give or take, evolved into our fine super fit for purpose feathered friends of today.I must confess to feeling more empathy for their 'tweetings' than those of my emotionally retarded accuser.

By the way, a backward British fairly old duffer invented the hovercraft, a 'clever' thing with but a very limited field of usefulness. But that didn't prevent the young and thrusting entrepreneurs from having huge car and passenger carrying craft built, and put into cross Channel service to rival those 'old fashioned' ordinary ships.

Only snag (quite obvious really), they were totally uneconomical to run! Their four jet engines goballed as much fuel as a jumbo jet, for a mere doubling of speed over the ships. Technology merely for the sake of it - and now all on the scrap heap!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add just a bit-

The hovercraft were scrapped as being hopelessly uneconomic, and were briefly replaced by hoverfoil ships. they, at least, used the engine power solely on driving forwards with the foils doing the lifting to increase speed. (As opposed to the hovercraft in which 90% of the thrust was to simply lift their huge weight, with a mere 10% to drive it forward.) But the hoverfoils also disappeared. (Didn't have the size and carrying capacity of the old tried and tested ships.)

Next, they built a wonderful tunnel under the Channel through which high speed trains would whisk us effortlessly to the continent, which was expected to 'see off' the Channel ferries. But it didn't, because of a strange quirk of human nature; we like the FEEL of crossing the open sea to go on holiday, in preference to the soullessness of the easier way.

So please excuse this dinosaur, as I put an old obselete record on (I like to watch it going round) of another obsolete (as if) dinosaur's writings! (Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus, since you didn't ask.)
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Include me in the Dinosaur category also.

Records sound better. I have all forms of music media available at home,
but an A/B of Dark Side of the Moon (1/2 speed mastered on the record
of course!) yields superior sound on the record vs CD.

So it's not just the nostalgia of watching the turntable go round and round.

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
So please excuse this dinosaur, as I put an old obselete record on (I like to watch it going round) of another obsolete (as if) dinosaur's writings! (Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus, since you didn't ask.)
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
this Spring has been a cool snowy one, and I like it!

-Craig (who will be changing his tune when he hits the Gorge in exactly 1 month)

Our long range forecast looks wetter and cooler than normal ... not conducive to the sustained windy patterns that dominated 2016. Those record 6- and 7-day blasts of last year established a high bar we can only dream of.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Craig - you're a man after my own heart!

Without derailing into detail, I too havesuperb record reproduction equipment, and was almost tempted (after a demonstration) to lash out on a very expensive state of the art Naim VALVE amplifier, (smooth as custard) but, sadly, many of the older records I own, (electrifying live performances which hit the heights) simply, cannot be perfectly reproduced on any media equipment.

I certainly agree about often harshly recorded CD 's which major on massive dynamic range, but musical- nah! (Even make Pav. himself sound harsh - or constipated!)

Anyway, just had a good 5 metre session, and in the mood (see what you've done) for another burst of heavenly choral Mozart! (After a good knosh, of course.)
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm not disrupting anything going on -

During the London blitz, especially in the destruction and havoc of the V 1 fling bombs, and V 2 rockets blowing people to smithereens, Myra Hess, a British Jew, gave dinnertime classical concerts throughout the mayhem.

She was famous for her adaptation and arrangement of Bach's Choral, 'Jesu Joy of Mans Desiring'. The outstandingly simple beauty of that Cantata, and the depth of emotion her playing of it brought many attending battle hardened servicemen used to dealing with death, to tears.

Her original recordings (1940's) were remastered as far as possible, and many a music lover treasures such. (I do mine, Don't play it often but it is firmly implanted in the mind, to 'play through' at will.)

I often wonder what Bach would say (he was a bad tempered old sod) if he could hear such as Hess, and many later exponents, playing that adaptation on a grand piano, the like of which never existed in his time? The simplicity, and sheer beauty of that chorale suits the medium perfectly!

I have a modern version by Kings College Choir (and organ) of the piece, played and sung to professional standard in the manner in which was probably intended, but which Bach was likely never able to produce, given the people he was forced to teach, and train, and work with.

Anyway, ignore the outburst but, being a creature of emotion who can't bottle things up, I had to get it off my chest!
mac

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brahms cello music.
LHDR

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, GT, it is a strange world indeed where someone with quite proper opinions on music fails so utterly at global warming. I'm very fond of my tube amplifier although these days it's mostly used by the kids and their children's stories while I get to listen to music with youtube on a laptop...

Brahms and Cello? Now that's unusual. You would almost have to be a cello player. The clarinet trio was one of my favorites some time ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 476, 477, 478 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 477 of 573

Jump to: