myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 459, 460, 461 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT--I don't believe the article was misleading. Economists understand both the overall picture of an economic activity, and marginal activities.

Outside of the more extreme views of the left and the right, the goal of good energy policy, which reflects an understanding of the magnitude of the risk of global warming, is to change energy consumption habits and fuels. The easiest part of that is conservation--which California has been doing for decade--and Texas has been ignoring. The second thing is to begin to invest in technologies that may prove economical eventually. I believe that investments in solar energy technology, despite the inevitable failures and scams, have been very successful in that arena. I think that fracking has been a market response that, if it had been properly controlled to reassure the public that it didn't pose a threat to water quality, and if the associated methane emissions were controlled, is another effective approach. It is clearly replacing coal in the world market, much faster than any regulatory scheme could have.

That does not mean that we will not have carbon fuels for a period of time. The battle, fought with lies by big carbon in the US, is over market share.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
A deliberate comment as an attempt to misrepresent reality!

GT, Of course you are correct. Presumably he, and the ultra left wing sources he routinely cites, bang this drum again and again to convince themselves, since anyone in possession of the facts knows that the byline "Wind energy overtakes coal as the EU’s second largest form of power capacity" is utterly misleading. Whenever you see references to "capacity" in a discussion on wind or solar, hold on to your wallet..........someone is about to lie to you. This line is only persuasive to the chronically uninformed, the gullible and those (yet again) attempting to be deliberately deceitful. Treat anything he says with great caution.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders about the quality of British schools since they turn out folks that can't seem to read. Here, with the appropriate highlighting, is the first sentence that seem to be so difficult to comprehend:

Quote:
Renewable energy sources made up nearly nine-tenths of new power added to Europe’s electricity grids last year, in a sign of the continent’s rapid shift away from fossil fuels.

Now does the man who seems unable to recognize his own name calling have some facts instead of aspersions to share?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reinforcing my point. The hopelessly biased should look up the massive difference between capacity and output.......for example, output from wind turbines is typically around 20% of capacity.........oh, and by the way, always requires carbon back up for frequent windless periods. Europe did not get 90% of new power from renewables and is not rapidly shifting away from fossil fuels. As always, treat anything he says, or quotes, with great caution particularly when he gets it wrong a second time.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gybes doesn't understand the difference between resources which ALWAYS become scarcer and more expensive to mine and technology which ALWAYS becomes cheaper. Not only does technology become cheaper, it leads to new technology. Thousand's of examples.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gybe can't even read the sentence when I clipped it for him. Much less deal with the point. But the he is one of those takers from a state with the college nickname so appropriate--cavalier.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Gybe can't even read the sentence when I clipped it for him. Much less deal with the point. But the he is one of those takers from a state with the college nickname so appropriate--cavalier.

It's quite astonishing. He is proven to be citing thoroughly misleading information by GT, and by me twice, yet still he persists. And then, the man who lived off the state for his entire career, and whose pension is funded wholly by the state, moves further into the realms of adolescent fantasy by suggesting that I am a "taker from the state". Could he be any more ridiculous? For the record, I have never received a penny from the state, not one penny.

http://galaxyveracity.com/index.php/human-behavior/90-psychology/111-cognitive-dissonance-or-how-one-cant-admit-they-made-a-mistake
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, another senior government official or high-ranking scientist in the “man-made global climate change” crowd has come out and admitted the “science” is, at best, sketchy — and the data corrupt and manipulated.
And, once again, it’s a story that should be a blockbuster, yet has been flatly ignored by the mainstream media, whom many believe to be complicit in this worldwide ruse.
Earlier this week Christiana Figueres, a Costa Rican-born diplomat who was nominated for Secretary General of the United Nations, served as Vice-President of the Bureau of Climate Convention in 2008-2009, and the UN’s Climate Chief since 2010, was the Executive Secretary of the UN Framework on Climate Change (UNFCCC), and who is credited for what globalists view as a ‘successful conclusion’ to the Paris global warming talks last December.

In other words a BIG greenie, on par with Al Gore, let the cat out of the bag. Again.
At a news conference in Brussels, Figueres admitted — with cameras rolling and microphones recording — that the notion of man-made global warming is largely a conspiracy set in play by the UNFCCC, of which she is the Executive Secretary. The UNFCCC doesn’t have the end goal of environmental activism, in an effort to save the world and mankind from some looming ecological disaster(s), but rather has, as its mission, the destruction of capitalism.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.allenbwest.com/derrick-wilburn/scam-unraveling-right-eyes

Apparently this is how Malibu Bard washes his brain.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How funny; Sometimes wrong; never in doubt." Atul Gawande quotes this saying about surgeons in the opening pages of Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science.

Watchwords for mrgybe. Let me go through his errors. First, the article. It makes the case, which I reinforced in my comments, that we are investing in renewable energy for new sources. I did not claim, nor did the article, that renewables have reached the level of conventional sources. To claim I did so is, again, a baldfaced lie. Mrgybe ignores the comment that I did make, which is that the investment in renewables has been effective. I cited this article a while ago: http://www.ecowatch.com/solar-cheaper-than-fossil-fuels-2167117599.html

In 2016 solar energy matched or was cheaper than fossil fuels in many parts of the world.

Second, California vs. Virginia, by the numbers. Virginia gets about 1.8 times in Federal programs what it contributes in taxes. California is about 80%. California contributes to Virginia's wealth--which is disproportionately in the defense--and perhaps lobbying--industries. This is not a matter of population, California represents 13.1% of the national economy, Virginia 2.7%. Per capita tax to the Feds, California $10.408, Virginia $9,590. Virginia is a taker. Perhaps mrgybe only benefits indirectly--if he doesn't work on Federal contracts, own energy stocks, or weapons and security stocks. He can remain as mysterious as he wants, he lives in a taker state. But that is even more true of much of the rest of the south.

Mac "lived off the state for his entire career." This is hysterical. I worked for 16 years for the Port of Oakland--which is an enterprise fund. That is, it generates the revenue to pay its employees, create jobs, and pay pensions. The Port of Oakland is also a net giver. I'll just use the Harbor Maintenance Tax Fund as an example. In 2011 it generated $1.383 billion, but only $790 million was appropriated for port activities. California receives far less than it contributes. I did work for the state--trying to prevent mrgybe and his buddies from destroying wetlands, polluting the air. I also was lucky enough to open parks and provide access to the beach. I guess folks like mrgybe think that happens by magic. I am quite happy that I did things in my career to protect public health. Some folks worked to reduce regulations of the fossil fuel industry, so the 58,000 lives sacrificed prematurely to air pollution can continue. We can argue about the amount of subsidy that fossil fuel businesses get, but it is clear that they transfer huge health and transportation costs to the public.

Now mrgybe, I think you need to make an appointment with your priest. I was taught growing up that lying, anger, casting false aspersions, and envy were sins. Perhaps he will counsel you to calm down and make sure of your facts before you start calling people names.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 459, 460, 461 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 460 of 573

Jump to: