myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 438, 439, 440 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love #7, and it is still held as truth to many.
Since when did the Earth retire from making crude, and depositing silt into the oceans, making giant deltas all over the world, and creating under sea seamounts, some being so tall that they make new islands, and blowing off mega tones of pollutants via volcanos, since when did the Earth retire?

The Earth and the Sun has us by the balls, and always will, but the warmers think that we are the ones in charge. How arrogant.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to put human ego into perspective. The sun, a main sequence star of a bit smaller than average size, is about halfway through its evolutionary cycle towards its red giant expansion phase. (About 4+ billion years so far.)

In line with all main sequence stars its radiation output (heat and size) is slowly but steadily increasing. The fascinating thing is that the so called Goldilocks, or narrow habitable zone which the earth currently fits into, must steadily have been migrating outwards.

Two billion years ago Venus, earth like in size and composition, must have been firmly within that zone. Would it be fanciful to suppose that, with liquid water and an atmosphere, life could have taken a foothold, and started its long evolutionary journey? Now, of course, it is a vision of hell as the habitable zone moved towards our earth, and the heat seared Venus to death.

It is estimated that within another two billion years the Earth will suffer a similar fate, as that narrow zone moves on outwards towards Mars. But when the sun really does go bananas and rapidly lose it (the red giant uncontrolled rapid expansion phase) The earth itself will be molten and probably cease to exist at all. Perhaps the moons of Jupiter will then be inhabitable.

It's a finely balanced calculation when the sun has expanded almost to the orbital path of the earth, whether it will be blown outwards by the fierce solar wind, or slowed and dragged into its grasp by the suns outer atmosphere. Either way, I'm glad I won't be around to face it.

Isn't cosmology (and geology) fascinating!
mac

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're back, those hundred year Texas floods. A year later. Could it be?

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/08/13/3691423/study-manmade-climate-change-texas-floods/
techno900

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some statistics for Houston and rainfall. Typically, one of the areas of Texas that floods somewhat frequently. I guess climate change caused the below normal rainfall for 6 of the last 8 years, just like it caused above normal rainfall for the last year (2016 to be determined).

Actually, I am not a denier, but when every anomaly is the result of climate change, I can't help but feel like we are the victims of a continuing "snow job".

"30 yr average - 49.7"

2016 - 21"
2015 - 70
14 - 43
13 - 38
12 - 42
11 - 24
10 - 42
09 - 47
08 - 53
07 - 65
06 - 57
05 - 41
04 - 65
03 - 45
02 - 59
01 - 71
00 - 47
mac

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a hint. When you want to play amateur hydrologist, you might start by realizing that rainfall intensity, not annual rainfall, is what causes flooding. Just saying...
techno900

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add that "intensity" without volume does nothing, so don't ignore the annual totals.

Having lived in Texas for 49 years, significant "intensity" is a given during typical storms, and that hasn't changed from my recollection. Flooding is common in many areas of south east Texas. River flooding happens frequently, but Houston's issue is amplified because it's very flat and doesn't have adequate storm sewers, so the water just accumulates in any and all low areas. Their issue is volume and intensity because the water is slow to run off.

Mac, is it possible for you to contribute information without derogatory comments? I wonder if you treat the kids you teach/help with the same demeaning dialogue?
mac

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's far more hope for kids. This is the second time you have tried to use statistics--snow was the last time--that you misused without demonstrating any comprehension of the underlying science. Commentary that misunderstands the fundamental physics is not meaningful. But if you want to try to make quick rebuttals--that lack science--go right ahead, I'll play.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone possessing a passing familiarity with Houston knows it has experienced enormous growth in recent years. Large areas of wetlands that previously allowed rainfall to filter into the ground have now been paved over without adequate compensating infrastructure. That is a significant factor in the flooding. For the endlessly sneering, however, it's much easier to blame global warming than to be burdened with the real contributing causes.........and then to proclaim that others are just too dumb to understand.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
There's far more hope for kids.

I'll bet you wished you lived and taught in Portland.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Book Burning: U.S. School to Ban Books That Question Climate Change

Last Tuesday, Portland Public Schools Board unanimously approved a resolution to ban textbooks and other materials that cast doubt on or in any way question the existence of climate change and mankind’s hand in its progression, the Portland Tribune reports.

Today in America’s far left-wing, and sadly our educational system falls into that sect; dissent is simply not allowed. Questioning anything the left holds as dogma is strictly taboo, and few things hold a more sacred dogmatic place than the absolute belief that man’s existence on earth is altering the planet’s climate.

Now an entire school district has voted to eliminate any literature that offers any views other than those they ascribe to. This is education and freedom of thought in today’s liberal school system.

“A lot of the text materials are kind of thick with the language of doubt, and obviously the science says otherwise,” said Bill Bigelow, a former Portland Public Schools teacher who was involved in working to present the resolution, “We don’t want kids in Portland learning material courtesy of the fossil fuel industry.”

One student testified at the Board meeting that she felt it was unacceptable for any books to be in the library that expressed “doubt” that climate change was man-made.

“It is unacceptable that we have textbooks in our schools that spread doubt about the human causes and urgency of the crisis. Climate education is not a niche or a specialization, it is the minimum requirement for my generation to be successful in our changing world.” Gaby Lemieux, Portland high school student.

And thus free thinking is dying in the Portland school system. “Your children will learn what WE want them to believe and nothing but,” is the message just sent to parents.

https://lexingtonlibertarian.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/portland-schools-ban-global-warming-skeptics/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you need to take the easy way out and just slam the source, click the link, it contains a link to the Portland Tribune.
mac

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very funny. I have no idea whether the current Texas flooding is arguably a result of global warming, nor does anyone. The link I posted was an analysis of the 2015 flooding, which concluded that there was a link between Texas flooding and climate change. Without appearing to read it, Techno and mrgybe give different reasons for Houston flooding--giving global warming a pass.

I often put up a zinger just to see what kinds of bizarre stuff you folks will come up with, and where it comes from, to absolve big carbon from the dramatic changes occurring in climate. Most of the climate models predict an increase in the chaotic nature of weather, with more dry spells and more intense rain--exactly what has happened in Texas over the past decade. Simple explanations abound--although not in Murdoch "journalism." http://www.nature.com/news/severe-weather-linked-more-strongly-to-global-warming-1.17828

I see that Trump has repurposed Damn Yankees, and the famous song now goes:

Whatever Exxon wants, Exxon gets, Whatever Chevron wants, Chevron gets, and whatever the Kochs want, the Koch's get. Let's cook the planet faster.

It is entirely possible that flooding--and deaths--have occurred in Texas because local officials, who oppose zoning and regulation, have allowed developers to put homes in risky places. It may have nothing to do with global warming and everything to do with foolish governance. But it certainly has nothing to do with annual rainfall totals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 438, 439, 440 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 439 of 573

Jump to: