myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 399, 400, 401 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said:
Quote:
Techno--just for a minute, think about the US infrastructure within 2 to 3 feet of sea level. At the moment, 39% of the population--123 million people--live in coastal counties. The roads, the flood control systems, and the wastewater systems are an investment that makes living in these counties possible. Like I said, trillions.

Come on Mac, we are all aware of the implications of a rise in sea level. You either ignored or missed the point I was making -
Quote:
and an unavoidable sea level rise of at least several feet is coming, say NASA scientists who are analyzing the satellite measurements.

Since NASA says it's "unavoidable", then why all the hype about increasing CO2?

Actually, I think the statement was accidently misleading, but I thought I would have fun with it anyway. Anyway, I am 200 miles from the coast, so no big deal for me.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Come on Mac, we are all aware of the implications of a rise in sea level.

Yes, inches, within a century, as it always has and always will. Big whoop; there are many MUCH simpler, FAR more effective, FAR quicker, published, internationally recognized solutions to the threat to mankind than wasting trillions of dollars trying to slow the rise by a centimeter and/or paying reparations. It's those solutions which convince rational people that AGW alarmism is first and foremost another wealth redistribution scam, first and foremost to Al Gore's pocket and then to zealots' halos.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inches, says the uninformed Mike Fick. That's what happens when you censor all inputs. Here's the quote from NASA--feet, within a century or perhaps a bit longer:

Based on 23 years of satellite imagery showing variations around the world, NASA researchers say that rising sea levels are "unavoidable" and could increase by several feet within a century, or perhaps longer.

Quote:
"Given what we know now about how the ocean expands as it warms and how ice sheets and glaciers are adding water to the seas, it's pretty certain we are locked into at least three feet of sea level rise, and probably more," said Steve Nerem of the University of Colorado in Boulder, according to NASA.
Editor's Note: Should Obama Have More Control Over Guns? Vote Now.
"But we don't know whether it will happen within a century or somewhat longer," said Nerem, who leads the space agency's sea level change team.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/nasa-unavoidable-sea-rise/2015/08/28/id/672356/#ixzz3k7xYDIxa

Now, for those who are unfamiliar with hydrology, or intentionally uninformed, inches matter when you are near sea level. The ability of a stream of any size to drain an area of any size is absolutely dependent on the downstream water elevation. The combination of a 14" rise in sea level--the most likely scenario for mid-century--and any winter storm that has any surge associated with it--means that water cannot drain. The areas that used to pool that water during severe floods are now full of homes, shopping centers, airports, roads--and sewage treatment plants. Unless they put a lot of fill in those areas, they will again pool water.

Keep your heads deep in the sand. Your children will pay for it--and curse our generation's lack of planning.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Some people don't realize that climate (as opposed to weather) is made up of different physical phenomena. Thus, we need to look at trends over a period of time--not one winter, or fifteen years. Rant on.

However, if that meaningless 15 years (17 to be precise) was extended out massively to, say, 23 years, then one can state definitively that rising sea levels are unavoidable. Very persuasive.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac, I think that it's inappropriate to attach doomsday outcomes to the affects of climate change and global warming due to man's release of CO2 into the environment. The idea of sea levels rising feet in less than 100 years is a bit outrageous. That doesn't mean that it couldn't happen, but I think we all recognize how some of the IPCC's past predictions were not credible at all. That said, I do believe that the world will suffer significant impacts even if relatively minor increases in sea level change occur, like possibly in the 2-4" range over the next 100 years.

Speaking for myself, I've lived by the ocean for most of my life, and it's down right amazing how much the shoreline has eroded. Even with notable efforts to stem erosion over the years, it really hasn't been all that successful. I think that most thoughtful folks support curbing CO2 pollution, and its far more important than some would like think to be creative and aggressive in our goals to manage the problem.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another foolish inconsistency from the apologist. In fact, there are over 150 years of records of sea level. See http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/

Because some land along coast is sinking, for various reasons, and some land is rising (usually rebound from ice loading that ended more than 8,000 years ago) raw data has to be adjusted to reflect vertical datums. And then emphemeral phenomena, like storm surges and floods, need to be factored out. The trend upward is clear--8" in San Francisco over about 100 years. And the acceleration signs throughout the data set are equally clear--unless your head is buried somewhere.

Chandler--a 14 inch rise in coastal areas has a huge impact on runoff--and on the ability of sanitary sewers to drain to the treatment plants. 14" by mid-Century is on the low side of forecasts, and below the current trend. Rise of 3 feet is expected by some.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac has called himself a "reformed catholic", which tells me he's no longer religious, but I'd say that he is still very religious, but not in a scripture sort of way, but more of an evangelical sort of way.
His new religion is global warming, and because he favors the catastrophic doom and gloom aspect of it, that makes him an evangelical preacher of the horror of the end of days because of it. His main goal, recruiting disciples through fear.
Sorry, but I'm a global warming heretic.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mac, I'm not buying a 14" rise in world sea levels by mid-century. I could very well be wrong on this, but I like to think more conservatively when it comes to doomsday predictions. Yet, in the big picture, I'm very supportive of reducing CO2 pollution, so it's not like I'm a denier of global warming and climate change.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Sorry, but I'm a global warming heretic.

No reason to apologize for being a realist.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain the difference between blind faith and science to NW?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 399, 400, 401 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 400 of 573

Jump to: