myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 377, 378, 379 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Outer Banks are barrier islands. Barrier islands move constantly, and naturally, just as beaches and sand dunes do. Building on a moving foundation is rarely a good idea as some have learned to their cost. I wouldn't read to much into a few buildings being claimed by the water. That was going to be the result of unwise development anyway.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail_Ponder wrote:
Are you like my father who uses a screwdriver for a 4 inch screw when a cordless driver is sitting on the bench right beside him?

Only when the cordless battery is flat, which it always seems to be when I need it, and I don't have hours to wait for it to recharge. For that reason I generally corded power tools.........always ready to go. Hmmm........any analogies there?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Nail_Ponder wrote:
Are you like my father who uses a screwdriver for a 4 inch screw when a cordless driver is sitting on the bench right beside him?

Only when the cordless battery is flat, which it always seems to be when I need it, and I don't have hours to wait for it to recharge. For that reason I generally corded power tools.........always ready to go. Hmmm........any analogies there?

....that you should buy better tools with battery technology that has evolved, and keep one one on the charger at all times, as I do. I still remember the first cordless I owned. It was a joke to what we currently use. Hmmm.....any analogies there?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
The Outer Banks are barrier islands. Barrier islands move constantly, and naturally, just as beaches and sand dunes do. Building on a moving foundation is rarely a good idea as some have learned to their cost. I wouldn't read to much into a few buildings being claimed by the water. That was going to be the result of unwise development anyway.

Rising sea levels, and frequency of severe storms not taken into account. Ask the owner of The Lighthouse Hotel of her 43 year residency account of the changes that have taken place. Island migration is not the only factor.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail_Ponder wrote:
....that you should buy better tools with battery technology that has evolved, and keep one one on the charger at all times, as I do. I still remember the first cordless I owned. It was a joke to what we currently use. Hmmm.....any analogies there?

You got me. I should keep it on the charger all the time and to hell with the waste. I assume your charger is solar powered and the batteries don't contain rare earths that destroy the health of rare earth miners?

Moving beyond screwdrivers, what were the clean, healthful alternate energy sources that are going to meet the global power demands? No need to respond........it will be more productive to get on with your 9 jobs........we both know the answer. Wishing for something that is completely unrealistic isn't being open to change.......it's just wishful thinking.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be clear. In this "unrealistic" world that mrgybe is scorning, Germany generates about ten times more of their energy needs from solar than the United States. And both percentages are rising. If it wasn't hurting their businesses, the Koch's wouldn't be fighting it with so much money.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would mrgybe have been one of those playing long on the idea of personal computers being an important future technology the late 70s? Would he have supported the government's crucial investment and development of the internet? So many of his current views about newer energy generating technologies today would suggest that he is light on a vision for their future.

If the truth be told, I think that his present position and investments are arguably conservative, and more reliant on older technologies. Definitely not a problem when looking at his projected horizon line in life. Yet, with that in mind, I can understand why he looks at solar, wind and other newer energy producing technologies with a certain amount of disdain and suspicion.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
No need to respond........it will be more productive to get on with your 9 jobs........

OK, I agree, with this part of your statement, and believe it or not, with the other parts of your statement. I'm just not on board to ignored the need for alternate energy sources. Until then, I'll dream of one day having a Tesla van with extended range via better battery storage capacity, dynamic braking and solar glass and body panels, that can make it to OBX, AND charged by solar panels on the roof of my home. Ahh, the fresh air, I can smell it already. Do you think the government will find a way to tax sunshine?
Wink
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath for a Tesla van. My bet, Musk will either get bored with Tesla, or will realize that he's squeezed all he can out of taxpayers and will cash out to a major. Despite the asinine comments about my investment portfolio, accepting the reality of the world's energy needs does not indicate any resistance to alternate sources of energy provided they make sense. Pie in the sky hopes for a world filled with clean energy may bring tears to the eyes in a Miss World pageant, but the billions of people looking for cheap reliable energy to keep them warm, to keep their lights on, and to transport them and their products need something that actually works. Of course we should keep researching workable alternatives but we should also get off this pious condemnation of the companies on whose hard work and ingenuity has vastly improved our standard of life. The reality is that emissions reductions resulting from the switch to nat gas from coal have dwarfed any reductions from wind, solar etc.. In matters so fundamental to our existence, we need realism not sanctimonious idealism. Here endeth the sermon.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here comes some more facts, that will quickly be dismissed as piety. In this morning's news, California now gets 5% of its power from solar. From the Christian Science Monitor, the United States now gets 17.2% of its electricity from renewables, Europe 26.3%, and Central and South America 67.2%.

Missing from the electricity picture is transportation. I guess the arch Archbishop is going to continue to argue that the oil companies played no role in fighting fuel efficiency standards. Of course, that position would be a lie. But he challenged us to find real evidence... Hiding in plain sight.

Tell me about piety. Then tell me about honesty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 377, 378, 379 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 378 of 573

Jump to: