myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 371, 372, 373 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tempt me.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how a driverless car would do on a day like today here? Bumper to bumper traffic to the ski area...totally snow/ice road, freezing windshield. I have to believe the technology to handle those conditions is a long ways off. Boggsman... 31 inches and counting! Face shots all morning!

Finally. The drought is over. I looked out the window. Proof enough for me!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I wonder how a driverless car would do on a day like today here? Bumper to bumper traffic to the ski area...totally snow/ice road, freezing windshield. I have to believe the technology to handle those conditions is a long ways off. Boggsman... 31 inches and counting! Face shots all morning!

Finally. The drought is over. I looked out the window. Proof enough for me!

NOT GOOD in CA...skiied in 60 degree weather last week. Global Warming turning Tahoe into the Mohave...
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggsman...snow has sucked here until, literally, last night. Less than 50% snowpack. I mountain biked 10 days in February and didn't even have to go to Moab. It was over 55 degrees everyday for a couple weeks in Durango. I have never seen anything like it in 30 years here. My mountain house is usually buried and there was (before this storm) maybe two feet in the yard.

Today was stellar skiing though! Quit early...still snowing and all my meetings are cancelled tomorrow!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm envious CBHead....have fun out there!!! I saw a bunch of MTB'ers coming off a trailhead on Friday in MID FEB!!!! usually buried under 10 feet of snow, now its like June conditions....crazy...
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Global Warming turning Tahoe into the Mohave...

Hey Professor.........all that missing snow is in my yard..........and in Jerusalem. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/02/20/israel-snow/23729595/. Don't you know the difference between climate and weather?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="coboardhead"]I wonder how a driverless car would do on a day like today here? Bumper to bumper traffic to the ski area...totally snow/ice road, freezing windshield. I have to believe the technology to handle those conditions is a long ways off. Boggsman... 31 inches and counting! Face shots all morning!

Finally. The drought is over. I looked out the window. Proof enough for me![/quote

coboardhead, Glad you are finally getting some snow out there! My brother lives in Denver and told me it was 70 there a few weeks ago. Sometimes it takes a while but the snow eventually arrives. We are still shivering here in Ct. but I'm adjusting. Have'nt thought about skiing because it's been too cold and windy,and the mountains here have not had much natural snow.

As for the driverless car I'm all for it! Too many incompetent jerks out there endangering the lives of countless thousands. I'd give the technology some time to mature though.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone surprised?

Quote:
Following a scandal over a Smithsonian Institute researcher who allegedly took money from oil and gas companies to fund anti-climate science research, Smithsonian released a statement saying it “does not support Dr. Soon’s conclusions on climate change."

Willie Soon is one of Isobars go to guys. More on the pimping, with Exxon throwing money on the pile:

Quote:
One of the world’s most prominent climate researchers publishing scientific papers that doubt humanity’s role in climate change has received at least $1.2 million from the fossil fuel industry to fund his research and salary, according to documents revealed this weekend.
Wei-Hock Soon (known mainly as “Willie”) is aerospace engineer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, and has written papers on how the sun’s role in the Earth’s climate outshines the warming impact of humans burning fossil fuels. His papers have cast doubt on how hot the last century really was, whether polar bears are negatively impacted by a warming Arctic, and concluded the sun plays a larger role in climate change than greenhouse gas emissions. He has said that mainstream climate scientists and those concerned by the causes and impacts of human-caused climate change are “out of their minds.”
Soon received hundreds of thousands of dollars each from ExxonMobil, the American Petroleum Institute, coal utility Southern Company, the Charles G. Koch Foundation, and other conservative groups, according to documents obtained by Greenpeace and the Climate Investigations Center, and spotlighted by the New York Times on Saturday. Over the last decade, Soon failed to disclose this funding in at least 11 of his scientific papers, likely violating ethical guidelines in eight of those cases.

War on science. More important than peace in the Middle East.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some said it would never work:

Quote:
New Solar Jobs Report Shows Impressive Gains From Coast To Coast
from Morning Consult by Rhone Resch

Solar energy continues to be one of the fastest-growing industries in the United States. The latest state-by-state breakdown of solar jobs nationwide not only shows impressive growth – but it also reveals some very encouraging trends. Big gains in employment are no longer limited to solar-friendly California and the sunny Southwest. Employment is also booming in East Coast states, including Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina and Maryland, while significantly growing in the southern states of Texas, Georgia and Florida.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw today in the news that Google is funding a $300,000,000 solar project to supply power to 25,000 homes. Homeowners can rent this service so they have no $20,000 - $30,000 start up costs.

Good way to make this affordable to average folks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 371, 372, 373 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 372 of 573

Jump to: