myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 331, 332, 333 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It is increasingly clear, however, that the PHDs and PHD wannabees who for years have looked down their noses disdainfully at sensible questions don't know either. They just eat up a lot of grant money pretending they do."

What I find notable is a level of disdain directed at researchers and scientists. It's the stock and trade of climate change deniers, particularly from those that lack the scientific background and commitment to be seen as credible voices. Is it a big surprise that deniers often have a financial stake in the fate of carbon industries? How easily they promote the idea that scientific study and research is just a specious way to piss away good money on a bunch of pretentious losers.

It's ironic that the above quote is coming from a person of faith that believes unconditionally in a decidedly far fetched view of our world and our existence. Science isn't a friend in the religious world either.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up Dfrietas at random. Not an IPCC researcher, but a well known on denier sites. Says global warming is real, but doubts it is human caused by recent CO2 increases.
Uses US lobbyist material as educational materials in class.

I note the folks on this list disagree with another, or with one part of the big model used by the majority of climate science.

This proves that science research is alive., and that among the ten thousand or so researchers there is a range of conclusions, with a very small group holding dissenting opinions.
This is good.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man to live on melting iceberg for one year to urge climate change action

Kimberley Mok (@kimberleymok)
Science / Climate Change
August 23, 2014

Crazy publicity stunt or stroke of daring genius? We're not sure, but it got our attention. The man pictured above is Alex Bellini, a professional adventurer and motivational speaker who plans to live alone on a melting iceberg off the coast of Greenland for one year, to emphasize the urgent need for climate change action.

This bold one-man campaign comes at a time when a chorus of scientists, organizations and policymakers continue to warn about the accelerating loss of Arctic ice.

Thus, extreme circumstances seem to call for extreme measures, but for this former finance student from northern Italy who has already run 23,000 kilometres (14,291 miles) of marathons, rowed solo across the Mediterranean, Atlantic, and Pacific oceans, this new project seems even more extreme. Watch Bellini explain his actions himself:

Starting in spring of 2015, Bellini plans to find a suitable iceberg in the northwest region of Greenland, where he will remain for up to a year as it slowly melts. Provisioned with with 300 kilograms (661 pounds) of dried food, Bellini will shelter in a survival capsule, the Kevlar-reinforced kind used for ocean oil rigs, until it becomes too risky -- at which point he will take to the sea in the capsule, floating adrift until he is rescued.

The project will also serve science: the UK-based explorer plans to observe the changes to our planetary climate, firsthand. Bellini's technical equipment will be powered by a rowing contraption that will convert his muscular energy into electricity. He says on Motherboard:

My objective is reporting and investigating, by means of scientific methods, the entire lifetime of an iceberg. I want to prove how the pace of ice-melting has dramatically accelerated over the last decades. We’ll also play the symbolic card: the adventure of a man floating adrift on an iceberg will come to represent the condition of the whole humankind going adrift on an endangered planet.

Though Bellini earnestly seeks to draw attention to the seriousness of climate change, some have expressed awed disbelief at the adventurer's proposed plan. When asked if he was "crazy," the self-professed "explorer of human nature" replies to Adventure Journal that it is also about pushing the boundaries of human possibilities:

Well, I want to be honest with you: yes, probably I’m a bit crazy, but is it not equally crazy someone who lives a life constantly dreaming of something different? Is it not equally crazy someone who procrastinates, someone who, fearing to be or look imperfect, refrains from dancing, acting, singing, wooing a girl? Is it not equally crazy someone who postpones his happiness to future events that might never occur? Maybe I’m crazy because I chose sacrifice, remoteness, and solitude or because I decided to live the life I love, but as you can see nobody is straight.

It may seem crazy, but this seems like another much needed nudge to the collective human psyche to adapt and change for the better; in a way, we'll all be floating adrift with Alex.

http://www.treehugger.com/climate-change/man-to-live-melting-iceberg-year-for-climate-change-action-alex-bellini.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If we are to believe everything that we read from this website, then his mission is going to fail. His iceberg should be all melted before his year is up according to this other article on the same site.
Maybe somebody should tell him,,,,,,,,,, nah, why spoil the fun.

Arctic Sea Ice Could Disappear in Summer by 2016

http://www.treehugger.com/climate-change/arctic-sea-ice-could-disappear-summer-2016.html
mac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As often occurs, mrgybe cherry-picks the real world to argue that scientists are corrupt, global warming is on hiatus, and we need not worry. He ignores the blatant dishonesty of Isobars posting, numbers also cherry-picked for propaganda purposes, and the role of his former employer in funding such dishonesty.

He is correct that current models don't predict what we are observing. He is dead wrong that this means we don't need to worry about CO2 emissions.

There are two things that help explain what we are now observing. First, an enormous amount of energy has been stored in the oceans, for the most part in the deep oceans, where it has a relatively small effect on surface temperatures. How much energy? The numbers boggle the mind: over the last 30 years, 17 times 10 to the 22nd power Joules! You can see it graphed here: http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2013/09/what-ocean-heating-reveals-about-global-warming/

That is equivalent to exploding a Hiroshima bomb every second.

Second, a substantial amount of the CO2 has been absorbed by the oceans, with a dramatic impact on increased acidification. The data for Hawaii can be found here: http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/co2/file/pH+Time+Series

Neither of these physical phenomena are well capture by models. Science works that way; you postulate a theory, you collect data, and you inevitably adjust your theory. Models help you figure out how to collect data, and what factors matter the most. But mrgybe's buddies in the carbon industry don't like science, and they are trying desperately to defund it. His insults are just part of the talking points. He avoids any real discussions of the underlying science--whether through ideological bent, or lack of understanding is beyond my ken. But his postings are, as almost always, spun.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHDR wrote:
in contrast to isobars' claims in his post ..

I made no claims.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT--here is the full length time series for average temperatures: https://www.google.com/search?q=noaa+graph+of+long+term+temperature+trends&espv=2&tbm=isch&imgil=YK-QtG_ZtwQpxM%253A%253BybRWPIvMld6AmM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fen.wikipedia.org%25252Fwiki%25252FInstrumental_temperature_record&source=iu&usg=__zZ-Fn44_FEY-chKVHhUNcHWO_9M%3D&sa=X&ei=uP34U8KBHJCmyASVtoLwDw&ved=0CCAQ9QEwAA&biw=1097&bih=541#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Dvj1gKK1O2BjrM%253A%3BPowLFKW9O5-quM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fthinkprogress.org%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F01%252FNASA2012-FINAL.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fthinkprogress.org%252Fclimate%252F2013%252F01%252F15%252F1452471%252Fnoaa-nasa-2012-warmest-la-nina-year-on-record-sustaining-long-term-climate-warming-trend%252F%3B600%3B389

I have no idea what caused a particular scientist to have an outburst. In general, scientists are just as snarky to each other as mrgybe is to everybody. Reputations are built on who got their first, and on who made a mistake. But the data is the data, and cherry-picking it is dishonest.

A shorter link to the same graph: http://www.earth-policy.org/indicators/C51/temperature_2011
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, thanks for providing a link to the treehugger website. Lots of great stuff on small dwellings and spaces, and I have to admit that I got a bit carried away. I even ended up subscribing to a related magazine.
pointster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Quote - 'So infuriated over the blatant lies (the IPCC) - Nobel Prize winning physicist Dr Ivar Giaever last week resigned in disgust from the American Physics Society - it is amazing how stable temperature has been over the last 150 years.'

IF correctly reported?? and he did indeed make such an outburst, would one of the global warming certainty 'experts' of the forum please explain,

a) What was the reason for Dr Ivar Giaevers outburst, if not for the reasons he stated?

b) Do they claim he is simply ignorant of the facts of global warming, as presented by the IPCC?

c) What makes them (the forum climatologist experts) think they know better than he does?

It's all to easy and obvious for warmers to just cherry pick from the long list and ridicule the chosen names (the usual tobacco company type propaganda desperation accusation - non climatologist nonsense spouting off etc etc) while studiously ignoring the more profound thinkers, such as Nobel Prize winning Dr Iva Giaever!

a) One supposes that Dr Ivar Giaever believed what he said. That does not make it true.

b) Yes. Dr Giaever's Noble was for research in electron tunneling, a study of matter on the quantum scale. His PhD is in theoretical physics, and his later work was in biophysics. He hasn't done research in climate science, or published any peer-reviewed papers in the subject area. Further, in his video explaining his position, he said he did his research on Google. He would have been more credible if he had based his opinion on reading climate papers on JSTOR, and face to face discussions with climate scientists.

c) Dr Giaever is an expert giving his opinion on a matter outside his field. His opinion is based on his intuition, not on actual experiment. He has not even made a serious survey of the literature. As such, he is making the very error he accuses others of making: he is starting from a hypothesis, then seeking only confirming information.

Dr Giaever says he is amazed at the stability of the earth's temperature, within .8 deg C, over the past 150 years (but denies that such a measurement can even be made), and compares it to the difficulty in maintaining a constant temperature for his biological samples in his lab. But he is ignoring the difference of mass between his samples and the earth. The thermal mass of the atmosphere and oceans is huge, so naturally it will not change quickly. A cup of hot water will cool much more quickly than a barrel of water with the same starting temperature. So while a change of .8 Deg C over 150 years may not seem like much, it is quite a large and rapid change given the mass involved.

Dr Giaever's comparison of the relative magnitude of the effects of water vapor and CO2 as greenhouse is true, but he neglects to mention that heating of the the atmosphere caused by increased CO2 increases the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere, which amplifies the effects of CO2. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas

Experts can be wrong, that's why science has peer review. Linus Pauling won the Noble prize, but was wrong about vitamin C and colds, and wrong about the structure of the DNA molecule. Acclaimed virologist and UC Berkeley professor Peter H. Duesberg maintains that HIV does not cause AIDS, despite massive evidence to the contrary.

I for one am not "studiously ignoring the more profound thinkers, such as Nobel Prize winning Dr Iva Giaever". I have listened to what he has to say and found it wanting.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it laughable that anyone would think that disparaging one scientist discredits the other 50 (in this case), let alone the 32,000 who signed the Oregon Petition.

It's even funnier that a bunch of anonymous internet posters rank their undefined credentials above those of IPCC members with careers and PhDs relevant to the task of evaluating AGW ... especially when the primary AGW alarmist agency is the IPCC.

And ... really ... citing Wikipedia, essentially an open bulletin board functionally like this one, as proof in ANY controversial issue? Who wrote the Wikipedia entry ... Al Gore? Jim Henson? But OOOOH ... it cites hundreds of impressive references. Got news for youse guys: So do the denier books and papers.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:
I find it laughable that anyone would think that disparaging one scientist discredits the other 50 (in this case), let alone the 32,000 who signed the Oregon Petition.

What's laughable, Mikey, is that you disparage 50 scientists, or maybe 50,000 scientists, based on your tenacious and specious faith in some fruitcake crackpot somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 331, 332, 333 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 332 of 573

Jump to: