myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 296, 297, 298 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope greed is basically wanting to have more than others, or an excessive desire to have more, which makes just about everyone greedy at some level, hence my comment on inherent greed of people. So realizing that is part of human nature and it is common amongst all, I would say that further perversion of that nature is just as I stated.

I don't have a problem with people having more than others. I am actually happy for people who have worked hard at something and prospered. What I and most people dispise are those who will knowingly cheat or harm others to attain wealth. Even worse, are those who hoard their wealth and won't help other unfortunate people to better themselves....the "I got mine, screw you" attitude.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon emissions continue to set new records atop Mauna Loa.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/

Darkest climate report yet by UN out March 31.

http://news.yahoo.com/un-scientists-see-grim-future-no-action-035340842.html
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may not be able to find the plane, but they can distinguish one part per billion of CO2 from another.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who don't think 1 or 2 parts per billion matter. I dare you to drink water with 10 parts per billion of arsenic.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take the dare, but I wouldn't make it a habit. From the EPA:

Quote:
Higher levels of arsenic tend to be found more in ground water sources than in surface water sources (i.e., lakes and rivers) of drinking water. The demand on ground water from municipal systems and private drinking water wells may cause water levels to drop and release arsenic from rock formations. Compared to the rest of the United States, western states have more systems with arsenic levels greater than EPA’s standard of 10 parts per billion (ppb). Parts of the Midwest and New England have some systems whose current arsenic levels are greater than 10 ppb, but more systems with arsenic levels that range from 2-10 ppb. While many systems may not have detected arsenic in their drinking water above 10 ppb, there may be geographic "hot spots" with systems that may have higher levels of arsenic than the predicted occurrence for that area.

From a water testing kit company:
Quote:
PurTest ARSENIC water test kit allows you to easily check and be sure your water meets the safe standard for arsenic as established by the World Health Organization: 10 parts per billion (ppb).
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt there will ever be worldwide agreement on drastically reducing CO2 levels NW, where self interest is concerned. Mankind will never willingly progress backwards. (Just try taking my car away from me!!)

Agreed Frederick, that atmospheric CO2 levels are out of control, but in view of the difficulty of meaningfully reducing them with our present dependence on fuels, shouldn't, as suggested in this thread, reasearch be intensified on NEW forms of energy production, all else just being a sticking plaster stop-gap.?

In todays Mail on Sunday David Rose writes concerning renewed research into nuclear fusion. (In the 1950's the British Zeta project appeared, for a short while, to have made a breakthrough, but it was false. Analysis showed it simply hadn't reached the necessary sunlike fusion temperature.) In his article he claims that the Chineses are now leading research into this field, while we fiddle about with windmills!!

It often amazes me how things can sometimes just come together at the right time. Just supposing that within the next 50 years or so the secret is cracked, and further suppose that the century or longer cooling prediction held the CO2 increasing temperature level in check, wouldn't it be a miracle deliverance?

An endless 'clean' source of abundant power for ever more. What more could the world wish for! (Startreck territory, here we come! Laughing )
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed GT. Interesting how just about every technological breakthrough came from government labs. Even with the waste, government investment will certainly produce future discoveries. The private sector is taking a bigger load now I think.

It still baffles me how the old USSR produced so much cutting edge military technology without even so much as public phone service.

I could see in another 50 or 75 years some new energy source running most of our lives carbon free. If we make it that long that is. My mind keeps going to the apocalyptic movies. So sad if we run our course in such a short time. Would be pathetic actually.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fission power business was supposed to be so cheap and abundant that it was not going to be metered. You pay a monthly fee and use all you want.
Fusion needs to do more than break even and not pollute as much.
It needs to be cheaper than oil.
No person in the field thinks that price thing is going to be solved anytime soon.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that we can all agree on. This work of art is called "politicians discussing global warming". Very funny!
mac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frederick--much is revealed in one of the comments to your posted article:

Quote:
This is an especially confusing subject to people lacking critical thinking skills. I'll sort it out for you. "Climate science" is made up of different parts. One part develops theory, another part makes observations with equipment. The observation part is conclusive that the atmosphere is warming at an alarming rate AND human activity is adding to so called green house gases. No quetion here. Next is the political aspect of government policy. One such policy is reducing the use of fossil fuel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 296, 297, 298 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 297 of 573

Jump to: