myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 254, 255, 256 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
youwindsurf wrote:
Squaw Valley averages 450 inches of pristine snowfall every winter - See more at: http://squaw.com/the-mountain/conditions/snowfall-tracker#sthash.tIb6It9V.dpuf

450 inches is 37.5 feet.

Current cumulative snowfall for Squaw Valley at 8200 feet for the season is 59 inches.

I used to get season passes for Squaw, my former room mate worked there, yes those totals are accurate at the top of the Emigrant, Siberia, or Granite Chief chairs, which all are just above the timber line.

That's a far cry from "fields and forests usually covered with 20' of snow".
Enough said.

When I lived in California I used to ski Squaw quite often as well.

I guess the above timberline areas get 37.5 feet annually and the "forests" only get 20 feet annually. Based on the current totals, I suspect the "forests" have significantly less than 20 feet and will not make it up by the end of the winter.

"SAN FRANCISCO -- Gov. Jerry Brown on Friday declared a drought emergency in California as the state struggles with the least amount of rainfall in its 153-year history, reservoir levels fall and firefighters remain on high alert...The Sierra Nevada snowpack on Thursday was 17 percent of normal. And last year, most cities in the state received the lowest amount of rain in any living Californian's lifetime. The rainfall records go back to 1850."

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_24933924/california-drought-emergency-declared-by-gov-jerry-brown

Indeed, enough said. Let's end the discussion here shall we?
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still debating this? After 255 posts? Even Rush L. has admitted the earth is heating (two years ago wouldn't dare). Even the all mighty blowhard has succumb. He won't go so far as saying it's man made, but a big step even for a real big fat idiot (not my words). It's warming dudes. Nearly 100% of legit scientific dudes say so. If it wasn't, would nearly all of us "uninformed (liberal) population" really want to fake it? Just to hurt big biz? We aren't smart enough to come together on that.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still debating this? After 255 posts? Even Rush L. has admitted the earth is heating (two years ago wouldn't dare). Even the all mighty blowhard has succumb. He won't go so far as saying it's man made, but a big step even for a real big fat idiot (not my words). It's warming dudes. Nearly 100% of legit scientific dudes say so. If it wasn't, would nearly all of us "uninformed (liberal) population" really want to fake it? Just to hurt big biz? We aren't smart enough to come together on that.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out the huge increase in ice in both the Arctic and Antarctic as well as most of the earth lately.

Although it has been in the 90's here in Malibu this week. I'm very worried about our beautiful state, and its lack of water.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
You might want to check out the huge increase in ice in both the Arctic and Antarctic as well as most of the earth lately.

Although it has been in the 90's here in Malibu this week. I'm very worried about our beautiful state, and its lack of water.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youwindsurf wrote:
stevenbard wrote:

Don't waste your time with quantifiable scientific facts for Mr. B or the other ultra-conservatives here.

Just because it's real doesn't mean it's real.

See that little red dot at the end of your chart? That's Mr. B's "huge increase." Nothing trumps the "facts" from inside the bubble of their far right imaginations.

mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Science, schmience. Just to put a bit of physical perspective on reality--and the bogus claims of deniers. The Arctic Ice is over a sea. The Antarctic ice is over land. A fairly significant difference, you think?

Now if you actually want to think, here is a temperature time series for the arctic showing, very clearly, a long term increase: http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/ArcticIce/arctic_ice3.php

Now for the antarctic, this is a very easy to understand set of slides on ice and temperature in the Antarctic. http://icecap.us/images/uploads/antarctica_white_paper_final.pdf

If you look at the actual data, two things will immediately be apparent. First, the data set at the actual locations is tremendously chaotic, and trends are not immediately apparent. But if you look at the y-axis label, the significant difference between the North and South Poles is immediately clear. It is always below freezing at the South Pole. At the North Pole, some ice nearly always melts--it is at the North Pole that a change in average temperature as small as 2 degrees will have a tremendous impact.

Look a bit further and you will see the smoothed data and the trend appears. Smoothing is manipulation of data--not as deniers do it, but to use moving averages to discern trends. I know, it is science, and it makes conservatives sneeze and hurl.

Deniers conflate and manipulate data in both cases to try to make their case that there are no upward trends. That is hogwash. Or more accurately, carbon-wash.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11lvw_thomas-dolby-she-blinded-me-with-sc_music
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frederick23 wrote:
If it wasn't, would nearly all of us "uninformed (liberal) population" really want to fake it? Just to hurt big biz?

No.
To redistribute wealth nationally and globally, as is being demanded by Obama, the IPCC, the UN, and every other lefty who thinks the right is too stupid to see through the ruse.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a message for Iso and his buddies at 1:54 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5JCrSXkJY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 254, 255, 256 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 255 of 573

Jump to: