myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 247, 248, 249 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, don't pile up on bajaDean, I'm sure he's a really nice guy, and he's doing a wonderful job of representing the left (as I've said before).
So now it's time to get back on subject, for me at least.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Published: Dec. 13, 2013 Updated: 3:39 p.m.

Climate alarmists' search for proof going cold
Even China’s coal-burning is offered to explain lack of global warming.

By MARK LANDSBAUM / Register columnist

Recall global warming hysteria’s halcyon days? Just 13 years ago, Dr. David Viner, senior scientist at Britain’s University of East Anglia’s climatic research unit, confidently predicted that, within a few years, winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event.”

“Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,” he said.

Of course, that doesn’t mesh with what happened. This past October, the UK Express headlined, “Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November.”

By the end of November, Brits were shivering, “as Britain faces snow, ice and plummeting temperatures,” reported the Mirror newspaper. “Most of Scotland has been issued severe weather warnings for ice, and temperatures are expected to remain low, causing problems with snow and ice across the country.” Winter yet lay ahead.

We shouldn’t pick on Great Britain. There is plenty of global warming foolishness here at home. Recall James Hansen, global warming guru whose alarmist campaign was underwritten by his NASA paycheck. By the 2020s, Hansen predicted in 1986, the U.S. average annual temperature would rise 9 degrees Fahrenheit, or more, and up to 3 degrees by the 2010s.

A funny thing happened on the way to the 2010s and 2020s. It didn’t get so hot. In fact, depending on which data set you use, it probably has cooled down for 17 years.

A recent explanation for this pause (if not reversal), was offered in a scientific paper blaming the El Niño Pacific Ocean warming in 1997-98 for triggering the hiatus.

As the theory goes, El Niño caused a large heat transfer from deep in the ocean to the surface, which cooled the waters below. Since then, according to the theory, heat has been reabsorbed from the upper ocean, in turn cooling the atmosphere. Maybe. Maybe not.

There’s no shortage of inventive excuses for why things aren’t so hot, including, incredibly, China’s increased use of coal, even though “dirty” fossil fuel is supposed to increase, not decrease temperatures.

Implicit in this “where-did-the-heat-go” shell game is an inconvenient reality.

Climatologist Roger Pielke Sr., University of Colorado, Boulder, professor emeritus of Atmospheric Science, says, if correct, the ocean paper means, “the end of surface temperature trends as the icon of global warming.”

If so, that’s a game changer for the climate wars.

If surface temperatures lose their credibility (and we side with those who long have said that’s the case), where will alarmists point to prove their point?

There always have been problems relying on land-based thermometers. For instance, where should thermometers be placed? How high off the ground? There are no worldwide uniform standards.

While airports, concrete and asphalt represent a scant percentage of Earth’s surface, they are home to a disproportionate percentage of ground measuring stations. Does this matter? Consider the common sense knowledge that standing in a grassy field is cooler than standing on an asphalt runway. Not only are such locales hotter, they get hotter faster and hold their temperatures disproportionately longer.

Then consider that the preponderance of ground stations are located in developed countries, and a vastly disproportionate number of those are in the United States. Is Los Angeles a reasonable proxy for Peruvian farmland or the steppes of Russia?

Arguments against specious temperature measurements are too numerous to list here. But consider this: Two separate satellite temperature data sets agree that whatever warming may have occurred peaked in 1998, and stopped around 2000. Ground-temperature records say 2006 or 2010 were hotter, and that the warming trend continues.

Worse yet, temperatures used by warming advocates collected from land-based thermometers are continually “adjusted.” They don’t remeasure the temperature. They change it. As Australian climate watchers David Evans and Jo Nova point out, “they are still changing the temperature record for the 1970s, 30 years later, and always in the direction of making recent warming seem worse.”

We are told to trust people, who never seem to adjust questionable raw data to lessen the alleged threat.

It’s a tragedy that we can’t trust the science because of agenda-driven scientists. But it is more than an academic exercise. Global warming alarmists’ temperature claims have driven political agendas across the world for decades.

The latest stampede to combat dreaded global warming says $100 billion a year must be paid by nations with more money to nations with less. If you are suspicious that this is more of a wealth redistribution than a climate-cooling maneuver, congratulations. It is.

Meanwhile, U.S. government bodies, forever searching for revenue to feed their appetites, are imposing costly taxes to save us from nonthreatening global warming, while conveniently expanding their control. That’s why President Barack Obama had no qualms in claiming that we have had 10 years of “accelerated global warming,” even in the face of contradictory facts. Hold on to your wallets.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/warming-593355-global-temperature.html?page=1
mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never one to cite a credible source:

Quote:
Feb 6, 2012 - Orange County Register columnist, and global warming denier in residence, Mark Landsbaum

or demonstrate any understanding of the difference between weather and climate. Rock on NW. Somebody must believe you.
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Hey guys, don't pile up on bajaDean, I'm sure he's a really nice guy, and he's doing a wonderful job of representing the left (as I've said before).
So now it's time to get back on subject, for me at least.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bring it on....

You can not come close to me so I am not worried. But here is how right wingers like to treat people when they can put their hands on them for challenging their ways.... so I know you can not come close to me and McVeigh me.... church shooter, doctor shooter, anthrax mailers for their political views

real-human

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
You don't believe me about what, that others are starting to catch on?

Go back and READ! I don't even think you acknowledge that people are agreeing with the points you are making. I have... What we are commenting on is your approach and tactics. The accusations that people are McVeigh, terrorists, hating...etc are tasteless and unfounded. Even when I poke fun you take it as a literal statement. Like others have commented on numerous occasions "you're over the top."

I bet you never played chess at any decent level had you. You are so far behind in thought processes it is just hilarious. yes I was a competitive chess player in my youth.

It is childsplay with you. as I have said this is not my first rodeo with flamers and right wing whiners.... It does sometimes take a year or two for the neanderthals that have never had to use their brains to get it through their thick skulls there are people who will give them back what they dish and some,, it is easy on the internet... I do not have to risk a KKK member threatening with a real gun here... And yes some right wingers go so mcVeigh they will and have threatened me....

Do you wonder how I post things so fast, I have a relational databse I just pluck things from with no effort. You see when I see a person like mac post a good article and many others from other sites it goes to a relational database.

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to quote me then address the quote. Care to address the actual quote or just continue on your diatribe of a bizarre unfounded attachment of hatred to others.

You chose not to because the comment quoted was actually factual and required some introspection. Carry on though because I find your approach both comically, telling and sad at the same time.

Your database was already apparent since you've spewed forth the same paste and copy, tasteless drivel on numerous occasions now. I think you ARE doing a great job of driving home what I and others have commented upon. I believe it was Mac's words I quoted in my quote.

What I do miss is leading your rants with "troll" please revert back to utilizing this term it increased the comical aspect of your approach.
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
If your going to quote me then address the quote. Care to address the actual quote or just continue on your diatribe of a bizarre unfounded attachment of hatred to others.

You chose not to because the comment quoted was actually factual and required some introspection. Carry on though because I find your approach both comically, telling and sad at the same time.

Your database was already apparent since you've spewed forth the same paste and copy, tasteless drivel on numerous occasions now. I think you ARE doing a great job of driving home what I and others have commented upon. I believe it was Mac's words I quoted in my quote.

What I do miss is leading your rants with "troll" please revert back to utilizing this term it increased the comical aspect of your approach.

yes mr troll.... you are not my keeper.... and what I comment on is my choice and you are being childish or just ignorant if you think I have to play your little kindergarten game. when someone is a troll I specially do not listen to their whining. grow up and grow a pair too...

hahahaha mr troll...

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing (Makes achange from hahahahahah!

Keep it up RR. He has been rumbled and has several of us to feed now, and must keep inventing new insults. (Same old - so boring.)

His time, his effort. Next round (Hahahahaha) Ding .............?
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

His time, his effort. Next round (Hahahahaha) Ding .............?

Keep in mind my comment from several weeks back... This forum is a stimulus-response experiment.

Push button ---- bzzzzt ---- observe response.

Sometimes you're the pusher, sometimes you're the pushee. Wink

We're lucky that we have several mighty fine pushees around... Laughing
mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservatives of a certain type look back to a world that they thought was more comforting, and fear the uncertain present and future. NW is not the first to attack new scientific ideas--he continues a long line of people who are denial about science.

Quote:
On the Origin of Species was published in 1859, triggering immediate discussion. Over ninety leading newspapers and periodicals reviewed the work. Most periodicals (for example, the Christian Observer and the Rambler) were hostile.

Opposition stemmed from the direct challenge of natural selection to the truth of the creation story and miracles. People were frightened that evolution removed the need for a ‘greater purpose’ in life, and for morality. They claimed that God would not allow mindless sacrifice and suffering.

This animosity fuelled the formation of anti-evolution organisations such as Cardinal Wiseman’s ‘Academia’ and the Protestant Victoria Institute. It also led to much ridicule and debate. Cartoons of Darwin’s head superimposed onto a monkey’s body appeared, and Cambridge students dangled monkeys from the Senate House roof when Darwin went to collect his honorary degree.

Perhaps the most famous event of this kind was the Wilberforce debate. On June 30th, 1860 at the Oxford University Museum, a heated debate ensued between Bishop Wilberforce (a Creationist) and Thomas Henry Huxley, an English zoologist known as ‘Darwin’s bulldog’ because he passionately defended Darwin’s theory from religious attack throughout this period. The debate was part of the meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science. Much shouting and hurling of insults occurred, and the event was widely publicised. Both sides claimed victory, but it is widely believed that the Darwinists were victorious. This debate has come to symbolise the conflict between science and religion.
http://darwin200.christs.cam.ac.uk/pages/index.php?page_id=e6

Do you suppose there was an evolution denier industry, supported by donations from the church?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished my swim at the YMCA. It was great, sun shining into the pool and not another person in the pool. I love times like that. While changing into my swimsuit it was interesting to listen to a naked and morbidly obese man talk at length about how important it was to get the "blood flowing and exercise". Fortunately I was able to discern that he really didnt accurately represent a healthy lifestyle, but somehow those he was engaged in conversation with did momentarily resemble Laird Hamilton on the cover of Men's Health Magazine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 247, 248, 249 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 248 of 573

Jump to: