myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best Florida fish fin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom9167

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Best Florida fish fin? Reply with quote

Wondering what results others have had on the Gulf for cutting through the waves of dead fish with a fin.

Today, in Tampa, in 5th gear on a 4.8 Sailworks, I struck a 36" dead Snook with a True Ames SurfGrass 9.75. Quite a sickening "thunk" sound, but the fin held and I think the fish is in halves now.

The fish in the Gulf died due to "cold" water temps of last week (low 50's... I know... what wimpy fish- they should spend a winter under the ice in the north! :>).
Now these fish bodies are driven by the winds to the shore - you can identify Florida's fish just by walking on the shores, once you allow for the bloated bodies and bulging eyes.

Great windsurfing day anyway!

Tom
john1798

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Florida Gulf sailors... is this for real??
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's true!

The cold snap also killed fish on the Atlantic side of Florida where I live. We have a mix of tropical and temperate species, and a lot of the tropical species just can't deal with temps below about 55. I've only been here two years, but apparently this happens once every decade or so, and it was real bad in '77-'78.

Even the moray eels got hit:

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/01/im-superbeast.html

It's back to swimsuit weather now, fortunately.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Saturday I used my Lessacher weed fin with a Formula board but had trouble getting up on a plane. However, another sailor hooked up on a big fish while blasting with an upright. The third sailor out with me was also using a weeder and wasn't complaining. I also spotted a couple of turkey vultures feeding on the dead fish in a wild section of the Indian River. These birds are huge and very ugly. Sort of like the posting of so many here. In additon the tide kicked up one of those eels Oceanside, a stones throw from here, dead as a doornail. Thanks for identifying it. That cold snap in Florida coincided with the Blizzard of '78 in the Northeast.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Last Saturday I used my Lessacher weed fin with a Formula board but had trouble getting up on a plane. However, another sailor hooked up on a big fish while blasting with an upright. The third sailor out with me was also using a weeder and wasn't complaining. I also spotted a couple of turkey vultures feeding on the dead fish in a wild section of the Indian River. These birds are huge and very ugly. Sort of like the posting of so many here. In additon the tide kicked up one of those eels Oceanside, a stones throw from here, dead as a doornail. Thanks for identifying it. That cold snap in Florida coincided with the Blizzard of '78 in the Northeast.

"I also spotted a couple of turkey vultures feeding on the dead fish in a wild section of the Indian River. These birds are huge and very ugly. Sort of like the posting of so many here."

Kinda like this guy?
NEsailor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in the world is he doing in that picture? It looks like he is trying to go potty on the side of the house and was surprised and caught by the photographer. Would not surprise me at all.

One hand is straight out holding something and the other is tucked in between his legs as he squats in the bushes??

Very strange.

Bizzard05-A.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  422.56 KB
 Viewed:  12854 Time(s)

Bizzard05-A.JPG

pueno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEsailor wrote:
What in the world is he doing in that picture? It looks like he is trying to go potty on the side of the house and was surprised and caught by the photographer. Would not surprise me at all.

One hand is straight out holding something and the other is tucked in between his legs as he squats in the bushes??

Very strange.

As you know well, Mr. Swift is a very clever dude. Articulate, thoughtful, and kind, too. And handsome and highly skilled. I suspect that he's sanding his fin in a place that won't distract his mom.
NEsailor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As you know well, Mr. Swift is a very clever dude. Articulate, thoughtful, and kind, too. And handsome and highly skilled. I suspect that he's sanding his fin in a place that won't distract his mom.

Nice Mr. Swift.

So now we know why the crotch of your pants is worn out as you stated in the board pants thread. Because you sand your fin in the Bushes at Moms house with your pants on. And all of this you have photographed for the entire world to see on the internet.

That is just wonderful. You are a class act. So tell me how does it feel to be caught pleasuring yourself on a national forum for all to see?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: