myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A tale of two Dolphins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: A tale of two Dolphins Reply with quote

Yesterday the predictions were good for decent winds (mid to low 20 m.p.h.) at Sebastian, Fl. The Ocean has been rather turbulent these few days to say the least. I decided to ignore my aches and pains and go sailing. After checking out the waters at the Wabasso causeway, I drove the extra miles to Clam beach. When the winds are out of the NE, there's a slight shadow along the shore at the launch near the State Park on the Indian River. However, it was blowing rather briskly over most of the River at that point. I leave Monster Hole for the idiotic punks and fully conditioned athletes. It's no place for a retiree like me. Once on the water and sailing with a 6.9, I immediately encountered two dolphins, leaping and diving. My board ran so close to them, I was fearful I would slice one with my fin. There was a warm drizzle that fell most of the afternoon. It didn't interfere with the sailing, though, which turned out to be a lot of fun for me. I didn't see the Dolphins again, but did see a number of jumping fish. As I returned to the launch, I saw one large catfish leap at least three feet out of the water. There were also a number of Pelicans diving for fish in a school I tried to avoid. In spite of an equipment failure at the end of the day, the session will be remembered as one of my favorites. It's amazing, too, how I saw so few people during this long afternoon. No one else whether in a boat or other conveyance was in the water. Yet, I found it warm and only wore a 3/2 Promotion shortie. I'm a bit sore this morning in that this has been only my second session since Halloween, but I'm not beaten!!! All the efforts and toil that went into putting the 6.9 North Duke in Florida and matching it with a new Gold mast became worth while.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: A tale of two Dolphins Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Yesterday the predictions were good for decent winds (mid to low 20 m.p.h.) at Sebastian, Fl. The Ocean has been rather turbulent these few days to say the least. I decided to ignore my aches and pains and go sailing. After checking out the waters at the Wabasso causeway, I drove the extra miles to Clam beach. When the winds are out of the NE, there's a slight shadow along the shore at the launch near the State Park on the Indian River. However, it was blowing rather briskly over most of the River at that point. I leave Monster Hole for the idiotic punks and fully conditioned athletes. It's no place for a retiree like me. Once on the water and sailing with a 6.9, I immediately encountered two dolphins, leaping and diving. My board ran so close to them, I was fearful I would slice one with my fin. There was a warm drizzle that fell most of the afternoon. It didn't interfere with the sailing, though, which turned out to be a lot of fun for me. I didn't see the Dolphins again, but did see a number of jumping fish. As I returned to the launch, I saw one large catfish leap at least three feet out of the water. There were also a number of Pelicans diving for fish in a school I tried to avoid. In spite of an equipment failure at the end of the day, the session will be remembered as one of my favorites. It's amazing, too, how I saw so few people during this long afternoon. No one else whether in a boat or other conveyance was in the water. Yet, I found it warm and only wore a 3/2 Promotion shortie. I'm a bit sore this morning in that this has been only my second session since Halloween, but I'm not beaten!!! All the efforts and toil that went into putting the 6.9 North Duke in Florida and matching it with a new Gold mast became worth while.

Mr. Swift, yet another of your truly fascinating personal travelogues. Your writing shows style, substance, organization, purpose, method, and a certain panache. Congrats for seeing those dolphins! They were no doubt trying to evade you, but you outsmarted them because of your superior intelligence and advanced skills.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bottle nose dolphin under run me one time up at Ponce Inlet, shark attack capital of the world, he gave me the eye as he went under and ahead. He was swimming sideways a few inches under me from stbd quarter to port bow. Pretty much got the message loud and clear, "So you think you are fast, watch this." I was lit up on a 100 liter board and a 6.5 sail. A few others were out and on slower stuff than me. Felt like I was getting a challenge from him. "Let's race," he musta been saying in dolpinese. I couldn't catch him.

Sonar on board a dolphin's head pretty much makes them immune to we sluggy humans ever running over them. Dumb adz fish, that's another consideration.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
NEsailor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Brucie, Great job wowing the readers with your incredible tale of sailing and communing with nature. You are just simply wonderful!!!! I am just beaming I am so proud of you. I bet everyone was just getting so upset about not knowing what their hero Bruce Swift was up to yesterday. But now they are all satisfied and can rest easy. You are just such an amazing person. They should change the name of this site to Bruce Swifts personal Blog. I bet those dolphins were just drawn in by your incredible aura. The same one that lures the readers of IWS and mesmerizes them when you speak your thoughts. Good job there great one. We have been blessed with your stories and tales of nature. The world is now a better place.
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet you looked pretty good in that 3/2 shortie

Hope you went commando

I'll be thinking of that image all day

sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
I had a bottle nose dolphin under run me one time up at Ponce Inlet, shark attack capital of the world, he gave me the eye as he went under and ahead. He was swimming sideways a few inches under me from stbd quarter to port bow. Pretty much got the message loud and clear, "So you think you are fast, watch this." I was lit up on a 100 liter board and a 6.5 sail. A few others were out and on slower stuff than me. Felt like I was getting a challenge from him. "Let's race," he musta been saying in dolpinese. I couldn't catch him.

Sonar on board a dolphin's head pretty much makes them immune to we sluggy humans ever running over them. Dumb adz fish, that's another consideration.
Interesting. No matter what the experience, though, Florida sailing is the cat's meow. The wildlife is fantastic. by the way, I watched a seal go against the current once up the Cape Cod Canal. (The canal has the strongest currents in N. America outside of the Bay of Fundy.) It was truly amazing how strong it could swim.
outcast wrote:
Bet you looked pretty good in that 3/2 shortie

Hope you went commando

I'll be thinking of that image all day
I can't say you're my most devoted fan, but you are certainly vying for second place. You also could be the most childish poster here if Oneup ever steps aside.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Interesting. No matter what the experience, though, Florida sailing is the cat's meow. The wildlife is fantastic. by the way, I watched a seal go against the current once up the Cape Cod Canal. (The canal has the strongest currents in N. America outside of the Bay of Fundy.) It was truly amazing how strong it could swim.

Hell, Bruce, a manly man like you could have swum against that current just as well as that seal. Maybe even better.

sailingjoe wrote:
I can't say you're my most devoted fan, but you are certainly vying for second place. You also could be the most childish poster here if Oneup ever steps aside.

If Oneup was here, he'd be proud to step aside. But he's not, so he won't.

Perhaps Speedysailor could step aside instead. Would that accomplish your goal?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
SNIP.

That confirms it. You claim to have enjoyed the Florida sailing but then state that you also watched a seal swim once up the CC Canal. Such a feat of observation can only be accomplished by one with several personalities! Another superhuman achievement!

Congratulations. Well, almost, because I saw a seal swim TWICE up the Cape Cod Canal. Beat that!
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Congratulations. Well, almost, because I saw a seal swim TWICE up the Cape Cod Canal. Beat that!

Be careful.

Next, Mr. Swifty will assert that *his* seal was doing the backstroke while sanding a fin. Wink
JFred

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANOTHER BULLSHIT POST> ASSHOLE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: