myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A Better Way To Jibe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
My only concern about short wave boards in the lightest of winds is the slog out factor. Konas slog out in 2-10 mph winds better than any large free ride boards I used for years prior. Also, in larger surf, the walls of white water are far less likely to knock me off the board on a long board, and the swirly foamy stuff does not knock me about as much after I've just gotten over them. Additionally, my power to do forced front sides and backside cuts into the wind are more powerful with the Konas in lighter onshore winds.

http://www.kona-windsurfing.com/videos/vdo_wave.htm

That's some really onshore stuff there. In the wave challenge pictures, the wind is 9-17 mph and 30 degrees side on. I was killing the wave ride scores, but not doing well with the jumping. That guy out west, in SF, is doing lots of that. Do so at your own risk.

That board looks really slow on the wave. I'd rather slog out on my Tabou 3S 97 or better yet, the AHD SeaLion.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, how often does it blow side shore in your area? How often is it "no wind"? There are plenty too many days in FL where the short board becomes untenable. Yet, I'm still getting plenty of waves. "Slow on a wave" is better than no waves for months. Friend of mine had not sailed in months and joined me for a recent gale. He lasted an hour. Physically, he just got too out of shape to sail much more than that. My Kona keeps me on the water and in shape for the really good dayz....
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jsampiero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're not talking about me, John Wink

Sorry I have been MIA lately. Work has been getting in the way of windsurfing! 0.o!

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gale was last week, Josh. Someone else, he has wife-and-kid-syndrome, and worx on a clock.....
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
Again, how often does it blow side shore in your area? How often is it "no wind"? There are plenty too many days in FL where the short board becomes untenable. Yet, I'm still getting plenty of waves. "Slow on a wave" is better than no waves for months. Friend of mine had not sailed in months and joined me for a recent gale. He lasted an hour. Physically, he just got too out of shape to sail much more than that. My Kona keeps me on the water and in shape for the really good dayz....

True but you can still slog out in light onshore conditions on a shortboard, just takes a little more work, and you'll get in even better shape that way.

If I had the $$$ to spend on a big board, I'd definitely get the AHD sealion, had a chance to demo it this summer, and it's awesome, really snappy turning due to short length + easy to get over waves + fun to ride (planing) strapless when the wind is nukin'!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time is money. More waves per hour means what? More sessions per month means what? 3 to 1 wave rides vs what I did with short boards or what others are doing. Always the denials, why?
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

""jingebritsen
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010 22:36 Post subject:
Time is money. More waves per hour means what? More sessions per month means what? 3 to 1 wave rides vs what I did with short boards or what others are doing. Always the denials, why?""

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The only guy in denial is you Laughing Laughing you did not sailed a Sealion so how can you make a comment about it. I went out on a Kona to see how it is so at least I have my reality based opinion not just XX talk.

Better on a Kona then not sailing but even better light wind waves sailing on a AHD Sealion Laughing Laughing
(I like to pull on your leg ha ha its fun)

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a 11 5 kona this past summer, and have to say, better than expected.. its really what got me back into windsurfing. now im still in shape for the days we actually get enough wind to go out on shortboards.
and, have used it a few times in 20-25knots?.. 5.2m on lake ontario, and it was still fun in the big choppy 'waves'.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You going to be at the Surf Show next week? You can leave me a Sea Lion for a month or so, and I'll do a review on this website, if you want.
3-phase

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

I have a demo Sealion in Florida, I can loan it to you for a while send me your phone number I hook you up with my rep he will bring it to the Surf expo. ( 310-729-1361 )

Of course you have to teach me all the tricks on the Kona in return.

See you buddy,

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: