myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A Better Way To Jibe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
And you have never jibed an 85-100 cm wide freeformula to formula board either.

Precisely why I made no comment about them; leaving that up to Spennie,who has.

Mke
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Strapless Kiters Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Where I been sailing,, if you didn't have some feet in the straps you'd get your ass kicked. Too many times I only have one foot on the board in the middle of a jibe anyway??

I have no feet on the board in most of my jibes, especially when the water is roughest. When I happen to jibe over a high, sharp peak, both feet may be 10-15 inches in the air as I switch my feet to allow the board to follow the terrain without impacting me. I don't recall ever getting tossed in that process.

Mike \m/
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP's thread is called, "A Better Way to jibe."

Better for what?

Why kill your speed to get both feet out? The most aggressive jibes are at max speed!

I guess the OP likes to slow it down, first. Put those brakes on, its time to turn around!
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will solve my jibing woes in short period chop. I'll definitely try it next summer.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Enjoyed your video.........and your bottom line message......try new things, that's part of the fun and the learning. By the way, if you are planning to continue that both-feet-in-the-straps jibing, I can recommend a good orthopedic surgeon!

Regarding the later post (Mule), I'm reasonably competent with both methods....FF in and FF out........I don't experience any loss of speed through the jibe with the FF out.......but I've been doing it for a long time. Do whatever works for you but don't be condescending about an alternate technique just because that's not the way you do it.

Last edited by mrgybe on Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulekick84:
Who said anything about slowing down? Slowing down is the enemy!!! One of the biggest reasons to do this is to get you weight centered so the board is in trim and goes FASTER! Here's another photo from Lake Isabella on that mirror-smooth water; Please read this whole thread before posting comments like this, it's already been addressed!

hodad.andy:
You da man! Here's a guy who's willing to go out in what appears to be freezing conditions to try something new. You didn't seem to like it much, fair enough, at least you tried, but I'd hope you would give it some more time to get used to it; After all, you didn't learn to jibe in 20 minutes, did you? Thanks for the video and very fair commentary, good work!

westender:
Kiter? You callin' me a kiter? Them's fightin' words! ;-)

stjamminlg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.78 KB
 Viewed:  11894 Time(s)

stjamminlg.jpg

Last edited by spennie on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've jibed strapless many times, but it was mostly in underpowered conditions. I can see the benefits of having your weight more forward and also being able to put your front foot anywhere over the centerline depending on how much leverage you want. Will try the FFO technique powered up the next time I get to sail.

The good thing to remember is that jibe technique is situational. Successful jibing is about reading a situation, putting a plan that will best tackle said wind and water state, implementing, and adjusting mid-jibe should things go awry. Or you could just redefine what you mean by successful jibe. For some it's coming out planing, for others it's sometimes fun just to see how much spray you can generate. For each water/wind condition combo, there are many different jibe techniques, and some are optimized for certain conditions.

Funny, but when I'm powered up, I often do the exact opposite of Spennie: I leave both feet in the straps, carve the board, flip the sail, and then exchange my feet last. Keep in mind that I usually ride freestyle boards or wave boards, and my footstraps are really big and pretty forward, so my front foot is already place fairly forward and over the centerline of the board. For me, this is one of the easiest ways to come out planing... esp when duck jibing.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Strapless Kiters Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I have no feet on the board in most of my jibes, especially when the water is roughest. When I happen to jibe over a high, sharp peak, both feet may be 10-15 inches in the air as I switch my feet to allow the board to follow the terrain without impacting me. I don't recall ever getting tossed in that process.

Mike \m/

Now, more than ever, I'm just dying to see that guy sail:
Bagsuit, PFD, Helmet, faceguard, and jumping up to a foot above his board in mid-jibe...

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
Successful jibing is about reading a situation, *putting a plan that will best tackle said wind and water state, implementing, and adjusting mid-jibe should things go awry.

* By that time, a tight/quick jiber is already on the new broad reach putting his switched feet into the straps. We ain't got all day when the chop is driving our knees into our face. Wink

Mike \m/
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
I've jibed strapless many times, but it was mostly in underpowered conditions. I can see the benefits of having your weight more forward and also being able to put your front foot anywhere over the centerline depending on how much leverage you want. Will try the FFO technique powered up the next time I get to sail.

The good thing to remember is that jibe technique is situational. Successful jibing is about reading a situation, putting a plan that will best tackle said wind and water state, implementing, and adjusting mid-jibe should things go awry. Or you could just redefine what you mean by successful jibe. For some it's coming out planing, for others it's sometimes fun just to see how much spray you can generate. For each water/wind condition combo, there are many different jibe techniques, and some are optimized for certain conditions.

Funny, but when I'm powered up, I often do the exact opposite of Spennie: I leave both feet in the straps, carve the board, flip the sail, and then exchange my feet last. Keep in mind that I usually ride freestyle boards or wave boards, and my footstraps are really big and pretty forward, so my front foot is already place fairly forward and over the centerline of the board. For me, this is one of the easiest ways to come out planing... esp when duck jibing.

Same here. I can't even get up to the same speed spennie is showing in his pics without getting in the straps. I like his style though. Will definitely do more jibing outside the straps when it's smooth.

Hey Kevin, are you getting my emails?

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: