myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A Better Way To Jibe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:
Excellent post thank you for that! Watch for me in you neck of the woods at Windfest, I'll buy you a beer!

swchandler:
No problems with delamination so far, although I ride only production boards. I would venture to say that your Labs are built to be incredibly light, trading a little durability for it. Another guess would be that the pressure from jibing, ditributed over your whole foot, probably wouldn't cause a high-quality board like one of Mike's to de-lam. There's bound to be reinforcement around the mast step.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Mike:
Excellent post thank you for that! Watch for me in you neck of the woods at Windfest, I'll buy you a beer!

swchandler:
No problems with delamination so far, although I ride only production boards. I would venture to say that your Labs are built to be incredibly light, trading a little durability for it. Another guess would be that the pressure from jibing, ditributed over your whole foot, probably wouldn't cause a high-quality board like one of Mike's to de-lam. There's bound to be reinforcement around the mast step.

And I'll show you some places which often offer a good freshwater imitation of DTL sailing ... presuming you're willing to experiment.

Delam could certainly be a risk, since the builders don't expect significant footwork up front. Many boards go soft between the F and R straps from all the footwork there, even where it's expected. Several custom and production boards and/or models have been notorious for it for many years. I always pad my decks and add extra padding under my heels, yet I still got only a season or less from some boards before complete failure. Pads are much cheaper than buckled hulls.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by isobars on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
coachg wrote:
any large freeride board where you have to physically lift the windward rail will be difficult to do a strapless jibe with as well. For my size, 5'10", probably around 75ish cm I would start to need the front strap to lift the windward rail.

I never lift my windward rail with my windward foot, nor do I deliberately press my back foot down on the lee rail, yet several observers have commented that my jibes are among the most tight, aggressive jibes on the water even when I'm on my 115 liter board. Once that back foot is on the rail, all it takes to set the board way up on the inside rail is a hip thrust, which doesn't care whether the front foot is strapped in.

Mike \m/

And you have never jibed an 85-100 cm wide freeformula to formula board either. Not saying your method won’t work Mike, just that there is a massive difference between a 115 liter, 65 cm board and what I’m talking about. Board is too big, rails too thick, rear step is too far and I’m too light to just hip thrust one of those monsters into a jibe and keep it planing.

Speenie, I tried it on a 145 liter Start Small last summer that was a teaching board as well. It wasn’t by choice because the board had no footstraps on it for teaching purposes. I couldn’t get the board to lean enough, but then I didn’t have my front foot near the center, it was more in the normal position where the front strap should be. Next time I’ll try it with my front foot more centered.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this about Zajicek's boards, they're built incredibly well, far better than production boards. And on top of that, they're significantly lighter and stiffer overall, yet they retain a top flight rockerline to make things really work. I think that few would argue otherwise.

The problem that I've experienced is due to the density of the EPS foam. Mike and I talked a bit about this issue for some time, and he's said that the actual density of the EPS foam varies significantly between different manufacturing lots. While the lightest EPS yields a very light board, it can also result in less stout durability over the long haul. We're not talking about Mike minimizing construction strength for weight.

In a less dense, lighter weight product, what can ultimately happen is a delamination at the laminated juncture of the the foam and added fiberglass/divinycel layers. This occurs because of the applied stress in a specific area, like just in front of the rear straps. It's all about fatigue over time. However, I should say that some ML boards I've owned have never exhibited any weakness at all, even after over nearly 12 years of hard use. The facts support a more mixed durability factor that seems to be traceable to the character of the actual EPS foam that's at the core of the board.
mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I've always been widely known for my sense of humor...

Have at it, Mo. Wink

Mike \m/

Craving attention?

Confused

mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have jibed with both feet out of the straps for years on my old Screamer. Primary reason for me is the low volume in the tail of the Screamer relative to my 200lbs..........I can plane through jibes much easier with my weight more centered on the board. On my newer boards with fatter tails I keep the front foot in the strap..........but sometimes, even on those boards, in awkward chop I will take the FF out to keep the board from bouncing around too much through the jibe. I have never had any problem with my front foot being knocked of the board. My only occasional problem is getting too close to the mast as the sail rotates..........otherwise it works great.
mpighini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job spennie, you are getting everyone to think outside the strap Laughing
westender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Strapless Kiters Reply with quote

Them Kiters are all going Strapless too you know? Question I think He's a Kiter Troll trying to start something.

I'm all for standing wherever works on a board even if there aren't any foot straps handy.

Where I been sailing,, if you didn't have some feet in the straps you'd get your ass kicked. Too many times I only have one foot on the board in the middle of a jibe anyway?? Shocked
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yesterday was blowing 4.7, so I gave it a few attempts. I mostly experienced what mrgybe just reported: Being too close to the mast to control the rig. I set up the video camera to record the crashes- check it out here:

http://vimeo.com/8031109
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: