myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4/3 mm semi-dry in 48 degree water?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: 4/3 mm semi-dry in 48 degree water? Reply with quote

So I'd like to get one last session before I store my gear for the winter. Tomorrow's forecast in the Boston area is calling for temps in the upper 50's lower 60's and great S/SW winds. I have an older Oneil Windskin 4/3 mm semi dry suit - ie dry except for the zipper which comes across horizontally on the upper chest. Water temp at Pleasure Bay is around 48 F. I'm an intermediate sailor and can water start, but hit only 40 % of my jibes, so I'll be in the water. I do have a 145 Liter board that I could use to uphaul and not really get wet, but they're calling for 20 knot winds, so 100 liter board it is. I do have booties and gloves.

My gut tells me not a good idea, but I really would love to get out just one last time (and only for an hour or two tops)

flame on Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear a hood, launch in an onshore spot so if you break down you'll blow ashore quickly, and enjoy. Otherwise, I'd call it a season.

Mike \m/
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the temperatures say "I really want to stay dry", I use the most stable board I have and then I discover again the joy of planing my 2002 Starboard Start (about 200L). With the water temperature at 48 F and wearing a semi-dry suit, if you get wet in the first half hour, you may get too cold to enjoy the second half hour. I would definitely use the larger board. And I second the advice about the hood, I wouldn't go at all without my hood.

I hope you have a great time.
ccyne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is sunny you should be fine. Even if its cloudy you should be good till you quit exerting yourself. Hood is a good idea and onshore, definately a good idea. You are still well over the 100 degree rule at those temps.
lynchmob000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 degree water and air temps in the 50's? That sounds like an average Spring day in Northern California. Most here wear a 4/3 wetsuit, maybe booties, maybe hood (I personally just go wetsuit - no hood or booties). Even in a leaky dry suit you should be fine. Just be careful about how far you go from the beach. Wind is fickle just about everywhere this time of year, so don't get stuck off-shore.

Also, you probably haven't sailed in a while, so you may not be in the best shape. Fatigue will be an issue. Combine with temps lower than you're used to, and your decision making processes will be messed up.

Have fun!
Bugaboo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest I have to a cold-weather suit is long-leg/long-sleeve 4/3 that is in good shape and does not leak. I sailed the Saturday after Thanksgiving in the Gorge. iW water temp reading was 50, air temp was 51.

No booties and no gloves left me with cold digits after about about an hour +/- on the water but I had a blast. No complaints.
greyghost

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that I did get a chance to get out today. I've never been in water that cold before, but it was fine with the 4:3. The wind was another matter. Very gusty. Tough wind conditions (for me at least) though it was good to get out one last time. Thanks for the advice. Have a great off season Very Happy
carl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got to sail.
The temps sound like a typical winter/early spring day in the SF bay.
Next windy day try a neopreme vest or shorty under your wetsuit
to keep off the chilled water coming thru the zipper. I sail all winter
with this setup (with booties and helmet).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: