myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Oahu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Windsurfing in Oahu? Reply with quote

I have the option to go on a business trip to Waikiki, Oahu, and could add a week of windsurfing to the trip. I've never been to Hawaii, and have a few questions:

How is windsurfing on Oahu? Should I plan to go to another island (Maui) for the windsurf portion?

How are conditions at the end of May?

Any suggestions for gear rental (especially on Oahu - if we go to Maui, we'd probably use Vela)?

I am usually sailing on flat water, and have only very limited experience in waves from trips to Cabarete. My wife would join me, and she has never sailed in waves before. She is comfortable waterstarting. She is not doing planing jibes yet, but learns fast, and we have 2 week-long trips planned before May, including an ABK camp, so I think she'll probably jibe ok by then.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter
inf2003

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr, I lived and sailed in Oahu for about 5 years in the 90's. I was a beginner to intermediate sailor and did all of my windsurfing on Kailua beach. The rental shop there is the Naish shop. I think they even deliver to the beach. Besides Diamond head beach where there is a long walk down a steep path, that is the only place that people seemed to windsurf. At 185 lbs I always seemed to be on about a 6.5 meter sail and 125 liter board. I tried Diamond head a few times but got ripped up because it had waves and just below the waves was all corral reef. It was treacherous and beyond my level. I would have to guess that most of the good windsurfing is on Maui. Although I always had a great time on Kailua beach. Its mostly flat water with rolling waves and medium winds. I dont remember what time of the year was best as we live there and sailed all year round. Beach is beautiful and my then girlfriend now wife love to just hang out on the beach and watch. Im sure someone else has more information for you. I have not been there in about 13 years now. Hope this helps.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really want to windsurf Maui to make the most of the windsurfing portion of your trip. So many more places to windsurf, and if the waves get a bit to intimidating, you can sail in Kihei or hang inside the reef at Kanaha. Still though, even if the surf is up, there are channels between the breaks where you can easily scoot outside for some great open ocean conditions.

Also with Maui, you have tons of gear choices, so you can demo a lot of interesting boards and sails.

Lastly, I would definitely consider staying on the northshore, and if you can afford it, stay in a place right on the beach in the Sprecklesville area. There's nothing like having your stuff rigged just steps from the beach. Now that's a real vacation!
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi peter,

I live on oahu...Kailua bay is a great place to sail when it's windy. it can be a bit hit or miss, but when it's on, very good, wide open & not crowded.
Spring/summer are usually pretty decent.

if you aren't used to maui, it can be a real eyeopener for the first timer. winds are usually quite gusty and strong (25-40mph), with good sized chop. Maui is awesome, don't get me wrong, but can take some getting used to if you normally sail flat water. BUT generally there is more wind, and more consistent than Oahu is.

if you catch Kailua with wind however, I would suggest that, since you and your wife will enjoy. rentals at the Naish shop are available.

there are other spots on the island to sail, namely Diamond Head, Kahala, and Moks. But those are a bit more advanced, with waves....so if you want to experiment, if the waves are small -- that might be fun. the reef is something to get used to, wear booties for sure if you go.
kursatu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Oahu last November and stayed and sailed from Kailua.
The beach is spectacular but the wind was usualy medium.
I've rented from this shop below which is within walking distance
to the beach. They have decent gear but for my weight (185lb)
I ended up using usually their largest sail (7 something).
http://www.kailuasailboards.com/windsurfing.html
There is also a Naish shop but it is little further away and they do
bring the gear to the beach if you arrange with them.

There is also this place from the web which is less expensive.
http://www.hawaiianwatersports.com/windsurfing/rentals/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful.

One thing I find interesting is the difference in wind between Maui and Oahu, given that both islands are close together in the middle of the ocean. Are the big differences due to the mountains on the islands?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only guesses by all, even the wx scientists scratch their heads about this. I believe it has to do with Haliakala and the big island sandwiching the wind in a singular way. Both are very tall and massive. Sorta like the gorge, but obviously not exactly.

I mountain biked from the peak of Maui, and saw big winds on either side of the mountain as I stopped a couple of times and looked upwind and downward to eastern end of the island. Kinda reminded me of the bow effect of a ship.... I think the wind gets compressed as it would rather slip along the edge of the island rather than go over it. I'm sure that's only part of the probable explanation.

Yeah, you make that ride out to those rocks in the middle of the Pacific, you owe yourself to sail at least 4-5 days in Maui. Also, try a couple of spots while in Oahu as well. Keep in mind, the wind is likely to be less strong there.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve always thought it has to do with the islands' shape. Oahu, Hawaii and Kauai all have mountain ranges that run north/east to south/west with pronounced windward sides and leeward or Kona sides. The Koolau range on Oahu is extremely vertical and runs all the way from the south at Makapu’u to the north at Kahuku. Maui is more like two islands that were merged together so the wind can funnel between the two peaks on Maui. There isn’t a single vertical range on Maui that divides the east and west side of the island to stop the wind.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: