myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Afghanistan, the war that will not go away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(WAR TAX)

As if we are paying for the wars as we go!

To date, we have financed both wars, TARP, etc. I'm beginning to think the politicians ARE treating it as Monopoly money.

But for now, the news has been interrupted by "Tiger" TV, indefinitely! Our media and their priorities. Rolling Eyes
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulekick84 wrote:
(WAR TAX)

As if we are paying for the wars as we go!

To date, we have financed both wars, TARP, etc. I'm beginning to think the politicians ARE treating it as Monopoly money.

But for now, the news has been interrupted by "Tiger" TV, indefinitely! Our media and their priorities. Rolling Eyes

Good Point. I used to care about health care, war, economy, stock market. Now, if the NYPost doesnt refresh the Tiger Story every three hours, I get real ornery.
Boggsman.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
That would also explain why he supports the health care leg.and intends to leave Afghanistan in 18 months. It is clear to both me and iso that the president is much better informed on all these issues.

Casual experiments done by WH Buckley showed that most folks would spend a LOT more on education, and provide better training, equipment and pay to a smaller military. In that survey those respondents would give ZERO tax money to large corporations like oil companies

Obama excused on the ABC dais his support of single-payer government-run UHC: he supports wealth redistribution even though he knows it will harm the economy.

His "July 1011 exit" from Afghanistan was lip service to fool his supporters and his far left critics. That date merely begins what the administration calls a "transition ... a ramp, not a cliff". In fact ... we've seen the leaked actual text in part ... the documented withdrawal plan defines a rigorous process ensuring district-by-district (there are hundreds of them) that each is self-sustaining. The process is incrementally success-driven, not time-driven, and is expected to take years.

Casual experiments (polls), scmolls. Rigorous studies have shown that pouring more money into education does not improve it by any metric. It merely spends our money buying votes from ignorant voters while accomplishing nothing of any actual use to anyone except politicians. Look it up.

"Give tax money to big oil?" Hell, According to IRS tax data, the bottom 50% of taxpayers, 70.53 million strong, paid $32.26 billion in income taxes in 2007. In the same year Exxon Mobil alone paid almost that much ($29.86 billion) in income taxes. I'd say Big Oil carries its tax load.

Mike
mac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baloney. Minus the subsidy and as a percentage of income, what was that Mike? Liars figure. Don't confuse them with statisticians.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me give you a bit more adult take on how Mike is lying. First, any engineer worth his salt (employable?, with or without anger management issues) would know that there are multiple factors involved in something like education. He is correct that simply pouring more money, without aiming it, won't have a linear benefit on education. He misleads you to think that there is no relationship between money and educational success. Class size, aids to kids with learning or emotional issues, and enrichment all cost money. Pulling money out directly degrades educational accomplishment. Mike has neatly justified his stinginess with factoids cherry-picked out of context. A familiar study.

How much does povery matter? The average child from a well education family with two parents is exposed to about 35,000,000 more words than a poor child--by the time they get to kindergarten.

Now, I'm headed back to school to teach advanced math to fifth graders, as a volunteer. Mike, shut up or speak truth.
MrFish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The World According to Barrack O'Bush:

War is Peace.

Giving money to Goldman Sachs and BOA insiders is actually giving alms to the poor.

Forcing poor people to pay more to insurance companies is Reform.

Spending on education: we can't afford it. Spending much, much more money on K.B.R. (Killing Brown People): endlessly affordable.

Torture: Good.

Accountability: Bad.

Secret Prisons: Good.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears that isobars has a tag team partner.
keycocker1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso s plans to pour money on issues with no direction is the same one used by the GOP for years now. I expected better of my party.
I run a third world high school on very little money. In my experience every dollar spent wisely makes a BIG difference in a childs education unless he is already in a big bucks private school, like Bush and other oil exec kids..
My family lived on the road so I went to ten different schools growing up. I remember a one room school with grades 1-8 and only one teacher. She moved among us like ghost.
Does your research indicate it would be a big waste to put another teacher in that school?
keycocker1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso has to take a deep breath after debating climate change with someone who clearly knows a good bit about climate change and refused his orders as well. All mike had with him was a LETTER from a lifelong carbon industry spokesman, containing simple errors
Now he is debating school funding with teachers and principals.It ain't easy winning these kinds of debates when you are nearly unarmed so he wins with the Vietnam Method.
I am sorry you don't have a real shutoff button like a real talk show host. It must be very annoying listening to such well informed people while parroting the far right (or far left for that matter.
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After listening to Obama's address in Oslo, it makes all the right's pundits and politicians sound tinny and small. What tools they are. Its been said before...Obama is a chess player in a city (country) of checker players.

It makes me shudder when I think of McCain and Palin winning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: