myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waterproof camera advice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraeva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Waterproof camera advice? Reply with quote

I am trying to buy a new point-n-shoot camera for x-mass. With all the waterproof cameras on the market now, I was thinking of one of those. There are lots of reviews out there, but its hard to decipher what actually works. But seems like Pentax W60, W80, Canon D10, and the Panasonic are the best ones.

Anyone have any experience with those, and can say which camera would work best to take out sailing for some good action and beach pictures?

Cheers!
sasha
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasha,

I bought the Canon Power Shot D10 waterproof camera for a trip to Maui this past summer. We used it almost everyday for underwater snorkeling shots and it worked perfectly - it takes really nice underwater pictures and also works really well as a general purpose digital camera out of the water. It can also take up to an hour's worth of digital video with sound - including underwater. The large view finder screen makes it easy to center images and capture great photos. There are numerous digital setting for every lighting environment and can even take a series of action photos automatically such as snapping off a dozen sequence pictures of someone waver riding. One caution - the camera sinks in water so be aware of that - it's easy to loose. I'd highly recommend this camera - great rechargable battery life, high qualilty photos, easy to use with countless settings, 3X real zoom, 10X digital zoom plus many other features. Picked it up through Amazon - check their reviews and look at reviews on B&H Camera as well.

Rob
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Sasha-

Take Rob's review, replace "Canon Powershot D10" with "Olympus Stylus SW Series," and you'll get my experience with said Olympus. The only bummer with the Olympus is that it takes a "xd" memory card, so you probably can't interchange cards with other gadgets that you might already own.

Good luck! Post some pics once you get the goods!
tyler4bu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodad.andy wrote:
Yo Sasha-

Take Rob's review, replace "Canon Powershot D10" with "Olympus Stylus SW Series," and you'll get my experience with said Olympus. The only bummer with the Olympus is that it takes a "xd" memory card, so you probably can't interchange cards with other gadgets that you might already own.

Good luck! Post some pics once you get the goods!

I also have the Olympus Stylus Waterproof camera, very affordable and takes great pictures... Mine has crappy zoom though (only 3x, don't know how that compares to the other cameras you're comparing). Compact, waterproof, and indestructible (by camera standards), everything I need.
mogunn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodad.andy wrote:
The only bummer with the Olympus is that it takes a "xd" memory card, so you probably can't interchange cards with other gadgets that you might already own.

FWIW, I picked up an inexpensive Oly 1050 SW as a pocketable P&S. It came with an adapter to use a microSD/microSDHC card. I can use the same SDHC card in my Nikon 300s.

Check the specs on the camera b4 you buy if that feature is important to you.

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
hodad.andy wrote:
The only bummer with the Olympus is that it takes a "xd" memory card, so you probably can't interchange cards with other gadgets that you might already own.

FWIW, I picked up an inexpensive Oly 1050 SW as a pocketable P&S. It came with an adapter to use a microSD/microSDHC card. I can use the same SDHC card in my Nikon 300s.

Check the specs on the camera b4 you buy if that feature is important to you.

Cool, thanks!
mogunn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Mr. Mo uses a Pentax W30 in a CamRig for kiteboarding shots. Works well enough.
Sample video here...

weihlac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Waterproof camera advice? Reply with quote

depending on your need for waterproof (usually to 30 ft) vs pressure proof you might look at the SeaLife digital dive cameras (http://www.sealife-cameras.com/index.html)

AW
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus Stylus SW Series great camera.
Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
kraeva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice guys!

Unfortunately Olympus does not make the SW line anymore. And the current line, the Stylus Tough 8000 and 6000, doesn't have enough zoom for us, and the picture quality seems inferior.

We have always had Canon cameras, but the D10 seems a little bulky. And again not enough zoom. but it does seem like a great camera! and Canons always served us well.

Does anyone have any experience with the Pentax? W60 or the W80?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: