myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui wind forecasts, best source?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Maui wind forecasts, best source? Reply with quote

I am stuck on another island and want to make the jump on a good day, any local forecasting for Maui beside radio, noaa. looks like trades are on for the week.
insh8bl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy,

I like Windguru @ http://www.windguru.com/int/
Wind velocities of 14-16 kts translates to 4.7 and 17-19 kts is 4.2 for me on a 75L board and I am about 180lbs. Also, a north swell direction with a period larger than 11 seconds will generally produce logo to mast high waves.
Very Happy
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trades may stick around through coming week, but it looks like they might get kind of wet starting mid week. As mentioned, Wind Guru is a prime source for Maui wind. Keep in mind the numbers you see usually lighter than what they will end up being.

Glen James' Maui Weather Today is a good weather source too.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/?page_id=20
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same goes for the meteogram to the left here. They are sometimes not far off but 18knts equals 23-30 in the slot between Hookipa and Kahalui because oft he localized thermal there.
justingordon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Wind forecast -- use the NOAA surf forecast Reply with quote

One of the best forecasts is the wave forecast:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/SRF.php

The wind forecast there is for Oahu, so you can add 5 to 10 knots.

Basically, in Maui, it's either trades and you're sailing 4.7 to 5.2 (average 180 lb. guy), or it's not and the wind will be pretty light or maybe the wrong direction.

If the swell forecast is calling for trades, then you'll probably have trades. Otherwise, the forecast goes to light and variables or maybe konas, which are great for surfing and bad for wind sports.

If you're thinking of coming to Maui, please send me a private message, as I know lots of inexpensive "off the radar" places to stay, and am happy to share lots of "local" knowledge.

Aloha,

Justin
http://flickr.com/gp/justingordon/80S26g/show/
scottwerden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every spring I make a trip to Maui for a month or so and end up sailing pretty much only at uppers. I can't see myself sailing Hookipa, but I know there are lots of other N shore places to sail. Anyone have a summary of the N shore sailing spots and what they are like and how easy to get to (and rig and launch).

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: