myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
time for a new iwindsurf membership level: no forecast ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWE106

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: time for a new iwindsurf membership level: no forecast ? Reply with quote

Wondering if it is time for iwindsurf to add a new membership level: with or without forecast. The "without forecast" membership level should be $5 cheaper than current membership level fees. If you feel the same, please respond. If we get enough votes we can change this great website into something even better and more tailored to our individual needs. Why?

I don't use their forecast; mostly ignore them (my rule of thumb: if iwindsurf forecasts wind it means the kiss of death and vice versa: I kept track and found my rule to be over 2 out of 3 times correct since the last 100 forecasts...); too many hedges (one forecast had 3 big IFs and 3 big BUTs in it); too many 'we have no clues' (actual forecast quote: "wind can be higher than forecasted, BUT IF... also lower than forecasted... DUH...).

For the SF Bay area, and maybe many other regions too, forecasters are located in the Gorge; given all the micro climates in the bay area it is hard to forecast wind to start with, especially when staring at a computer screen 600 miles away. Except for Mike, I also wonder what the forecasters' real-life experience is with (inter and intra seasonally changing) wind patterns in the SF bay.

I am aware much effort, energy, blood, sweat and tears are put in these forecasts, I don't intend to be bashing with this post, but as aforementioned I have unfortunately not found them useful, found them often incorrect, out dated, and with a lack of local knowledge, and therefore I wonder why pay for it.

All I need is the sensor data to make my daily decision where to sail, not a forecast. I know many others do too. Hence, it shouldn't be more than fair for iwindsurf to offer a membership level without a forecast that is say $5 cheaper than with a forecast.

What do you think? Remember; if you like the forecasts and use them, there is no need to respond to this post.
pacopicot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you. Sensor and satellite maps are all we really need to plan our day.
last few days, forecast was clearly under estimated and even at the 11.30am update, it was not clear from the forecast that it would be a great day.
I already have my schedule blocked before I get any type of warm feeling from the iwindsurf forecast
I understand that it is not exact science but.....I guess I haveto agree, I can live without the forecast. Not to mention that we are paying a yearly fee and do not get anything for the winter season anyway.....well Baja.....and I doubt that we are a majority moving south for all winter
SWE106

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for pointing out another reason: forecasts are only seasonal, so why pay a whole year for them.
7winddoc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: 4cast- free choice Reply with quote

I live in the upstate NY region, land of no wind for the last month! Even when I was a member for ten years, I never had access to any human 4casts. I always paid full price, the same as sailors that got several forecasts daily. (BTW, I have sailed Lake Ontario or Finger lakes every month of the year one time or another.) I would reconsider signing up again for a lesser price, since human 4casts will never be part of the services offered to Upstate NY, at least I doubt like hell they ever will. Computer-based 4casts are likely much worse than human 4casts. On the rare occasions of travel to other regions, the 4casts were a bit helpful, but one has to keep in mind that accurate wind 4casts really don't exist except in rare places like the Gorge. I just have always felt that if services aren't offered, the prices should reflect that as well. A 5 or $10 discount seems fair to me. Twisted Evil
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good idea but since it would cost iWindsurf money in programming effort I doubt they would do it, especially since it would generate lower revenue in the long run.
SWE106

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or more... since many that I know are not iwindsurf members (anymore) because of the forecasts... so iwindsurf may actually gain a lot of old/new members. It is all about tailoring your customer needs. I for one seriously consider canceling my subscription if these forecasts don't improve: a $167.4 loss or a $107.4 revenue... you pick.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, and they could also lock the site down so that only paid subscribers have access to it.
SWE106

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, another great idea!
pacopicot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the time the detail by region/area does not match the updates.
I could be wrong but it seems that the area forecast (Coast, PENINSULA,....) are done at the 7 am forecast but stay the same at the 11.30am despite change of forecast on the upper/generic part of forecast.
I will keep my subscription but, if we pay for such service, you would expect the overall forecast to be consistent. And yes, this is not a precise science, I understand that.
I said it before but paying for full year and only getting partial year forecast seems to be not acceptable.
Also, please do not tell us to watch for special update when you are not doing it anyway.
Finally many times I saw sensors wind level coming up just prior to the 11.30am report but the report come out with wind forecast lower that the actual sensor readings......
i can understand that the forecaster may not be local but then, you can even look at some webcam.......they may help you to believe in your sensors readings that we pay for...... (oh,yes.....seems that some sensors are not even reading the right wind force and direction.....)
Sounds negative but I am submitting my observation. Everything could be improved. I would appreciate my feedback to be taken into consideration and will remain a iwindsurf customer.
jse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWE106 wrote:
or more... since many that I know are not iwindsurf members (anymore) because of the forecasts... so iwindsurf may actually gain a lot of old/new members. It is all about tailoring your customer needs. I for one seriously consider canceling my subscription if these forecasts don't improve: a $167.4 loss or a $107.4 revenue... you pick.

Nobody subscribes for the forecasts. It's the wind readings on your cell phone that count. If you can avoid crossing a bridge because the wind dies, you've saved yourself 5 bucks plus gas.

If you need to schedule your day based on the 7:00 AM forecast, you're already going to miss 50% of your sessions. That's regardless of who provides them.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: