myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Relocate to the PNW
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Relocate to the PNW Reply with quote

Help me choose. Washinton or Oregon, I'm ready for a big change. Sports include windsurfing,sailing, power boating, Dual Sport MC, and touring on my BMW K1200RS. Kids will get back into snow boarding.

I've had one trip to Hood River and a quick shot out to the coast. For schools and job opportunity's I'm thinking bigger city. Redmond Washinton-Portland Oregon.

Any tax pro/cons Washinton/Oregon?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUGE tax advantage to WA, but its schools near Hood River are reported to be absolutely horrible.

What career field are you in? The TriCities (Pasco/Richland/Kennewick) near the eastern Gorge are absolutely booming -- the recession bypassed us -- with many thousands of engineering positions from a $15B construction project to cutting edge research in many fields. Schools here are reportedly outstanding. Google Tridec for much more info, and search this forum for hundreds of pages on this topic (maybe the key word TriCities will reveal most of them; I'd add a manual historical scan of the topics, considering what's at stake.)

It straddles the Columbia, but urban and natural topography is much more suitable to power- and sail-boating than to WSing in town; except for a few rare days with decent swell smack downtown, Gorge WSing starts 20 minutes away. An acquaintance who moved from Texas to eastern WA primarily for its road-biking on his new Harley is ecstatic over his choice; the highways here, from freeways to thousands of miles of twisty/scenic/hilly two-lane blacktop, are a) pot-hole-free and b) flat empty. My neighbor is an avid, serious dirt biker. Overall, eastern WA is on a different planet than the "West Side" in virtually every way (e.g., our annual precip is about 6 inches).

I could live anywhere I want in the U.S.. I chose and still choose to live here, with WSing as my top priority.

Mike \m/
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, almost knew you would be one of the 1st to post up. I've read lots of your posts and no lack of stoke on your part.

SD
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say? Enthusiasm + insomnia + drive-by computer = quick reactions. Heck, if we were in the same time zone, I'd have answered before you asked the question.

Mike \m/
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check into Vancouver, WA. Its basically North Portland, but no State income tax, solid schools, and windsurfing is close. Nuke Alley/Jones beach 45 minutes, Stevenson-White Salmon, close.

Skiing Crystal Mountain in WA is as uncrowded as it gets or drive up to Hood.

Tri-Cities? Too far from the action and you could get stuck being friends with ISO. I wouldn't wish that bad vibe on anyone.

Besides, he's always bitching about having to get up at 4 AM to get to the Hatch for a supposedly good forecast. Easier to stay home, so he does. Then argues that WMP and Andy didn't sail their 4.2's all day or that it couldn't have been that good because it never is unless he shows up.

What I want to know is, who has actually SEEN ISO on the water? NOT ME!!!
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read all that much about the coastal windsurfing in Oregon and Washington. My sailing started on Lake Erie, big wide beaches a long fetch of good clean air. Now a days there's usually only 1-3 windsurfers out.

I just read about some conflicts between kiters n' wndfers at the event site in Aug.

I'm used to lots of f@$%& water around me, don't think I've ever looked downwind before a gybe......

Talk to me about coastal weather n' conditions. Also i'm spoiled by accsess to the OBX and warm gulf stream waters.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Mike on the water, briefly, on a fairly light wind day, he was still
ripp'n.

-Craig

Mulekick84 wrote:
Check into Vancouver, WA. Its basically North Portland, but no State income tax, solid schools, and windsurfing is close. Nuke Alley/Jones beach 45 minutes, Stevenson-White Salmon, close.

Skiing Crystal Mountain in WA is as uncrowded as it gets or drive up to Hood.

Tri-Cities? Too far from the action and you could get stuck being friends with ISO. I wouldn't wish that bad vibe on anyone.

Besides, he's always bitching about having to get up at 4 AM to get to the Hatch for a supposedly good forecast. Easier to stay home, so he does. Then argues that WMP and Andy didn't sail their 4.2's all day or that it couldn't have been that good because it never is unless he shows up.

WMP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulekick84 wrote:

Nobody has ever seen the dude -on- the water on big days because he's always -in- the water on big days.... this, according to his own words, because he "pushes the limits" more than any other human being on this planet. Fact is, we don't really know if isobars -is- human.... there's a chance that he morphs into some sorta fish when he goes out there.

- WMP
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
there's a chance that he morphs into some sorta fish when he goes out there.

Here ya go, Mo: Blowfish?

Mike \m/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Pete out on some fairly honk'n days (both East and West)
he definitely rips.

-Craig

WMP wrote:
Mulekick84 wrote:

Nobody has ever seen the dude -on- the water on big days because he's always -in- the water on big days.... this, according to his own words, because he "pushes the limits" more than any other human being on this planet. Fact is, we don't really know if isobars -is- human.... there's a chance that he morphs into some sorta fish when he goes out there.

- WMP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: