myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter in Maui
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
npure2001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui winters can blow and blow or not. 6 weeks no wind stretch can be found on iW history some winters. No off-day winters as well. It's probably El Nino related. Add in the ocean swell and temps and wow. Just make sure you don't pick the 6 weeks of no wind. Book last minute, when the fx seems to be locked in. Enjoy.

Gabor
P.S. Where is this Gorge place you guys keep on talking about?!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THERE'S a troll if I ever saw one. Wink

Mike \m/
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Euros and spanish sailors I have spoken with never heard of the gorge.
One reason for the dif between our experience and the IW listing is the way wave height is measured.
They track a buoy bobbing which gives you a number that is half the height of the face. Reef effects and other can make it a bit higher so when the report says 1-3 foot they mean 2-7 which is what I see here in the summer on a third to half the days at Upper Kanaha.
koogzah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I do wish it blew more often and more predictably.

Mike \m/

Well, you definitely blow often and predictably.
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: EL NINO Winter in Maui Reply with quote

justinotto wrote:
Hey we are thinking about a February trip to Maui and I was just wondering if anyone could comment on the weather and wind possibilities. Our dates are flexible, mid-Jan to mid-Mar would work but not sure about the wind consistancy during those periods. I know winter here tends to get more waves. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Justinotto

Trying to get this partially hijacked thread back on track. jeff_bennett64's post pretty much nailed it for Maui sailing for TYPICAL winter. Having lived on the island and sailed big boat in the trade winds I agree that winter can be pretty sporadic. Great for a 1-2 month trip but very iffy for typical 2 week vacation.

But this winter is NOT typical. I just came back from a symposium on this winter's El Nino. So far it looks like a relatively mild El Nino. During a El Nino winter the North Pacific High, which creates the trade winds, shifts it AVERAGE location closer to the Baja coast. This means that the NE to ENE trade winds are much less reliable than normal in the winter. It also means there are fewer Kona storms and less rain on the islands. Lots of sunny, very warm weak wind days.

Mike Baker mailed me saying he has been on Maui since early Oct. and has had a total of only 3 hours of sailing mostly on a 5.3-5.7. at Kanaha. The only good news is that there are signs that this El Nino will be mild and may start fading by mid-winter.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koogzah wrote:
isobars wrote:
I do wish it blew more often and more predictably.

Mike \m/

Well, you definitely blow often and predictably.

Hey Mike, you've got to admit that is funny!
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been luckier and have logged 6 days on 3.7 to 4.2 with two good wave days so far in Oct.
If I have a hammer in hand when the wind starts to blow I open my fingers and walk straight to my van where the gear always lives. Most folks on vacation with the family or locals with a job can't do that.
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Baker mailed me saying he has been on Maui since early Oct. and has had a total of only 3 hours of sailing mostly on a 5.3-5.7. at Kanaha. The only good news is that there are signs that this El Nino will be mild and may start fading by mid-winter.

And Mike can't weigh more than 140, which leaves me, at ~185 needing bigger than 6 meter sails this month. This month has been a lot like '06. Not sure if that was an El Nino year as well or not. That year I got a total of 6 days in October. After today's Beasterly Easterly I'm up to 8 days this October. And the wind is going to get lighter then next few days. If we're lucky, we might get a couple more days Friday and Saturday windy enough for Maui quivers.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 142. Glad I went on a 4.7 today even though it kinda sucked. I got a couple of good down the line rides.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jeff Bennett on sailing in Maui in the Winter. I spent the Winter in Maui last year and averaged sailing 21 days a month; in October we sailed 28 out of 31 days. However, so far this October it is a lot different; not as many sailing days and many consecutive no wind days. It appears that this is an El Nino year and possibly will not be a good winter for wind. The last few days have been unexpected "bonus" days in Maui and although it has been very east, it still a good day when you can get in the ocean and catch a few DTL with just a pair of boardshorts. Keep an eye on the forecast; you can book last minute and still get decent airfare and lots of lodging options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: